Safe overnight Nashville, Walmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you guys just ruined my plans to reply in a humorous vein. So I'll post somewhat seriously.

If that guy is packing a 30:06, a .22, and a 12 ga for personal protection, he scares me, too!  :eek: And, I carry a gun. (None of those.) I thought maybe he was a hunter, moving toward collecting some big game, maybe a rabbit and a few birds. Anyone who would use a 30:06 in a Wally World parking lot, for any purpose, is a nut!  ::)

In the case in this thread, the OP is carrying two doberman gentle ladies, and that is all she needs. If she has a problem, the dobbies eat real meat, that night, red meat!  ::)

Not only that, but if there is trouble, she is not likely to be involved. When she takes the dobies for a walk, so they can do their thing, people will notice. These are show dogs, after all. They are pretty!  ;D Any bad guy is going to take her off of his list, quickly!  :eek:

If you take a gun out for a walk and show-off, (brandishing) you're going to attract a different kind of attention, like red and blue lights and sirens. Not good! :( So, we don't do that!

Brandishing Dobies? Thats cool.  ;D  Effective, too!  ;D

Oh, and in the confines of an RV, two dobies vs. one armed bad guy, dobies win. Wouldn't be pretty, to watch!  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Ray, I agree the Dobies would be good protection.  We have a standard poodle, somehow strutting him around the "Wally" parking lot would probably do little to protect me...or at least the image would suggest that.  However, I have a short story.

I heard of a couple who lived in Washington state and had bought a standard poodle.  The husband really wanted a lab or golden retreiver...something that represented a "real" dog.  Well, the wife wanted the poodle because it didn't shed and she liked poodles.  So they got the poodle.  Had it for a couple of years and one evening they went out for a night on the town.  Got home late that evening and the front door was wide open with no sign of the "dang-not a real dog" poodle.  The husband was furious and kept telling his wife that they should have bought a "real" dog. 

Instead of going in, they called the police.  Police got there and went through the house checking things out.  They came back out and asked the couple to come upstairs.  The poodle had the "bad" guy cornered in the closet with bites to his forearms.  The bad guy said everytime he tried to come out of the closet the dog attacked him. 

Moral of the story...everything isn't always as it appears.    ;D

BTW, the couple bought a second standard poodle. 

Marsha~

Great story Marsha. Gordon, the "real dog" labrador, probably would have showed the bad guys where the good stuff was. Actually, any dog is a good deterent for the noise factor if nothing else.

Wendy

I can't imagine Charlie or Gordon being anything but friendly to unwanted visitors. OTOH Sasha will let the whole campground know the would-be attacker had best keep his distance.

If I wasn't allergic, I'd be inclined to adopt Hercule's twin brother; Karl doesn't get intruders, and folks keep their distance when he's outside the coach.

My stupid city (lol) issued new bylaws...

In the past we would often see RVers at WalMart, parked there at night..... last week I went to WalMart and saw a city bylaw sign that said that RV parking was not allowed outside of business hours, and that any RV illegally parked would be towed!!!!

That;s the same city who does not allow you to park your RV (even for a short period of time) in front of your house in your driveway... any RV, boat, trailer must be on your lot, but behind the front of your house... it cannot stick out in front of it....  That's all nice, but what do you do when you don't have room (like I do) to park your RV on the side of the house...

IDIOTS

Many cities have put up those signs, but Wal*Mart takes the stand that it's their property and they will allow RVers to stay there overnight.

We live in a waterfront community where most folks own boats. A couple of years ago the county implemented and enforced a similar code to the one you're faced with. See this message.

Our small town passed one of those "no overnight parking at WalMart" laws. It was pushed through by campground owners and it ONLY applied to Wal*Mart. The local police say that they can only come ask someone to move if WalMart calls them and asks them to (ie, it's private property) and WalMart chooses not to have RVs towed off their property. Fortunately, while there are RVs in the lot every night, no one has ever abused the privilege and "camped out" in the lot. So whether there are "no overnight parking" signs or not, it's worth going in and asking permission.

I love Wal*Mart threads !!

Wendy
devoted Wal*Mart overnighter

That's my understanding of WM's approach (almost) country-wide Wendy.

I know that the Bend Oregon WM started enforcing the "no overnight parking" rule but that was RVers own fault....they were truly camped out with rugs and bbqs and long stays. The WM over the hill from us in Durango recently installed big new NO OVERNIGHT RV PARKING signs and the story around town is that they're enforcing it. Not sure if it was their own decision or if it was forced on them by locals. Never saw anyone abuse the parking issue there but it's not a big parking lot so that may be part of their decision.

Wendy

....they were truly camped out with rugs and bbqs and long stays.

That's the kind of behavior of these so-called RVers that will eventually cause more and more enforcement. Setting out the kitchen sink in a parking lot isn't an overnight stop, nor can it be called snatching a few hours sleep on a long haul.

.... it's not a big parking lot so that may be part of their decision.

That's just a downright lack of respect for others on the part of these folks.

Tom said:
Many cities have put up those signs, but Wal*Mart takes the stand that it's their property and they will allow RVers to stay there overnight.

We live in a waterfront community where most folks own boats. A couple of years ago the county implemented and enforced a similar code to the one you're faced with. See this message.

Our city now has this bylaw but it was never published, as long as someone doesn't complain you are ok.... but it's all on borrowed time!!!!

So I'm already looking for a storage area (commercial) to put my future trailer.... since the bylaw says that the RV owner must be the same as the home owner,... so even though a friend has room in his driveway (to the side of his house) I cannot park it there!

I understand the parking in front of the house during off season (winter) but during summer months it's a big stupid!

...  so even though a friend has room in his driveway (to the side of his house) I cannot park it there!

That's a bit ridculous.

Hey! how about a whole Province RV overnight parking ban!  ;D

Well not too much to get excited about as we overnighted at many W-M's in the Prov.  in front of, along side of, and and actually tried to be as conspicuous close to the signs as we could be. DW was a bit nervous about it  but nothing happened, not even a request to leave. I was also pleased to see a few more motor homes pulling in and ignoring them.  A stupid law the result of a lobby by the independent Tourist industry businesses with no other aim than GREED.
So Boycotts do indeed work, and the loss of revenue is felt by all.  Actully myself and others have been working on this since the Fall of 2006 (trip to park under the signs). In addition to the loss of tourist $$ there would be the cost of enforcing it which would be astronomical.  It wasn't Wal Marts law so the province would have to pay. The only way the police can intervene is if Wal Mart complains, and since they didn't no one bothered us including the Police patrols.
This has been a long hard road, the signs are mostly gone, and when I find the location of one all it takes is a phone call to have it removed. I won't bother posting a photo of the Atlantic shopping centers signs as they were much the same thing. I'm told that the Govt. is talking to the head offices to remove the signs, also that the Act in question will be revised. No doubt that when the act is revised the industry will lobby individual Municipalities to pass such By-Laws.
If and when the act is revised, It is my intention to write the Council of each Municipality and inform them of the consequences (Boycott) will do if they pass such regressive legislation. The loss of RV tourism cost to the whole province is readily available as an incentive for them to think differently. Boycotts do work, get the word out on the net, it takes time and perseverance but it can be accomplished. Folk's this story is much too long for a post

Cheers
Willey

Thanks for the report and link Willey. I won't be avoiding any towns or shopping at any WM store because they have "No overnight parking" signs.

I for one would appreciate if you all could be a bit more specific when you mention that RVs are not allowed to overnight in your province or city.  Glancing at your profiles doesn't help as you don't have a city listed  Perhaps you could just mention the town or area that has the ban so we know what to expect if we pass that way (or we can at least put it in a file for future reference).

Steve

Cortez, Colorado - No Overnight Parking signs at Wal-Mart but not enforced

Durango, Colorado - No Overnight RV Parking signs and enforced by WM & police

Farmington, New Mexico - no signs and no problem parking overnight

Bend, Oregon - No Overnight Parking signs, enforced by WM & police - used to be ok until people started homesteading there, putting out carpets, bbqs, etc. and staying for weeks at a time.

Gallup, New Mexico - No Overnight Parking signs - not enforced

These are ones that I personally know off the top of my head. There are a lot of websites and yahoo groups dedicated to providing info on Wal-Mart overnighting. A google search will turn up tons.

Enjoy
Wendy

Lake Havasu City, AZ - No overnight parking signs, but have no idea if they're enforced and don't care.

Thank you Wendy and Tom.  I've never been much for Yahoo groups but I suspect I need to start looking at them.

Steve

I agree Ron!  Those who abuse what we all use ruin it for everyone!  In the boating (cruising) world, one is supposed to have the right of free travel (in US waters), but many states are creating laws (especially Florida) to limit your stay in any anchorage to keep out the squatters.  Here too, those who abuse destroy it for all!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom