Safe overnight Nashville, Walmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Tom. As many times as I have done the Tueller Drill, never done it with my back to the "attacker." Interesting reading. I have to learn to research my subjects in Wickopedia.

I have had training where the "Tueller Drill" was done "gently." That is with a cardboard knife and an orange plastic simulated  gun. When you draw, you say "BANG," to shoot. Nobody gets hurt. You go through the whole class, and get no bruises, lose no blood. Also, you don't really get the point brought home, as well as doing it the rugged way.

We had a nice neighborhood, when my late wife got cancer. Druggies moved in, and I didn't notice, as I was busy with the cancer battle. (Ten years!) I was attacked, dragged into the drug war, day after Thanksgiving, 1987. I had to take my wife for treatment, regularly, which caused the druggies to feel that I was insulting them. (I was "dissing" them!) I started carrying a gun. The war was on!  :mad:

Some Law Enforcement officers steered me into training, telling me I needed it. (Due to my "attitude.") Ultimately, I was led/pushed into a pretty rugged, realistic, rough and tumble, Advanced Handgun Combat course. Did two courses. By the end of the week, both times, I was bruised, everywhere, had small bandages over a few nicks and cuts, and worn out/exhausted, from twelve hours days of intense, simulated, hangun combat. Much of that was done with real guns, live ammo, lin the dark. At the end, you are almost convinced that you are in a real gun-fight.

The course was super effective. I was amazed at the difference in my skills. Still pretty much have them after more than ten years. There are a lot of variations on what is called the "Tueller Drill." For someone untrained, I recommend the orange plastic gun and cardboard knife. Live ammo outside of a formal training class, even with "cigarette filter bullets," is unwise, to be avoided!  :eek:

Well, I'll stop. This thread has been hijacked, six ways from Sunday, and I've done my share of hijacking.  ::)

Feel free to delete my post, or move to new thread - which I doubt is appropriate to this forum.  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

Next time I stay at Wal*Mart I'll be sure to have a a cardboard knife and an orange plastic simulated gun for protection  ;D

Tom, keep your tire iron.  ;D

Also, get a real dog and save your Welsh Corgi imitation voice for campfire fun.  :D

Ray D  ;D

Edited to note that I consider a full sized Poodle a "real dog." They have a very respectable history.

Tom said:
Ray,

Next time I stay at Wal*Mart I'll be sure to have a a cardboard knife and an orange plastic simulated gun for protection  ;D

Tom:

The next (first?) time you stay at Wal-Mart we will be using ray-guns or something. ;D

Thank`s for the ideas  guys. Sorry if I started a subject that my offend somebody. Guns safety wise. I have quite a few guns including AR15, big game rifles, shotguns, plinksters etc... And I am very familiar with all of them (ex army). Plus I visit the local shooting range about once every a couple months. So safety is not a issue. It`s just the law I`m worried about. I don`t want to do anything illegal. I guess I`ll start the research with the satate I live in, Florida. Thank`s again.

Busa,

Also check which states have reciprocal agreements with your home state concerning firearms permits.

Steve

Thank`s Steve. I know Fl. has reciprocal agreements with quite a few states out there.

Busa, learning Florida first is a good idea. Florida has pretty much lead the nation in Second Ammendment issues. Your state was first to pass what is called the "Make My Day," law, for example. Once you learn Florida, you can then compare other states as you go. Many or most will be more restrictive than Florida. But it gives you a "base" to compare to.

Many "Shall Issue" states reciprocate with Florida. You are in good hands, starting there.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Why do y'all need protection to stop at Wal-Mart?  ??? We didn't do any traveling this year, too busy completing the "honey do" list, and too much rain to enjoy driving. In the past couple years we stayed overnight at quite a few WM's without the experience of unpleasant incidents. In fact it's been quite the opposite. We talked to other RV'ers, nice grassy areas to exercise the dogs (most had one or more) lots were level (excepting 1 in Levis QC). However I can't say we saved money $$ by using their parking lots. The way I look at it is that we spend the $$ on things we want and can use and not on amenities that we do not need or want. Staying overnight at a parking lot is as far from camping as it is from boondocking. There's no camp fires, toasting marshmallows, hot dogs or comradary of the fire ring. Fact is, the only available activity is shopping, now if anyone wishes to call that recreational, well more power to them. Unlike camping, and instead of a relaxing day ahead, when you get up in the morning, you prepare for another full day on the road (actually I like this, it may not be camping but it is RV'ing at it's best) ;D
A year off the road for us may not be a bad thing, the dog who will be 2 yr. old in Jan next, is finally maturing. Somewhat larger and taller than the previous one and I'm sure will be quite intimidating. I like the idea of the Bear Spray so maybe I'll get a can of that too.
There will always be people who will use parking lots or any convenient space to overnight. That's their Shtick, and there will always be those persons who wont and that's their shtick. It's just a matter of their own personal choice, some like it, some like it a lot and then some don't like it at all. Life's like that.
Now what was it I said in a previous post about Wal-Mart threads wandering all over (on and off topic)  ;D  actually they can get quite interesting and sometimes humorous if no one takes it too serious.
Ah! since I was in town today I checked for the "Atlantic Shopping Centers'" No Overnight RV Parking signs, they were all taken down. Also I'm informed that the Canadian Tire Store informed the politicians that they were glad to have the business of the overnighting RV's and had no intention of sending them on their way. 
Sheesh! maybe I should start a Blog ;D

Y' All have a great evening

Cheers Willey

I'm informed that the Canadian Tire Store informed the politicians that they were glad to have the business of the overnighting RV's and had no intention of sending them on their way.

That's good to know Willey. I hadn't heard that before.

Willey, what kind of dog?
A mutt, mostly retriever Lab & Golden and something else that must be tall. When standing her head is above the kitchen table. She's a good natured dog similar to the Shepherd Husky mix we had previously, she was a "pussy cat" but aware to any persons who would be a threat to us. Happened twice with some punks who tried to get entrance to our home. Seems they thought the pickings would be easier and safer elsewhere and left in a hurry, don't know why they did that as the dog was inside the house.

Tom, the reply was from the local CT store, so I don't know if it's corporate policy.  Unlike W-M, most of these stores are franchises but all sell the same wares so it's quite possible they all feel the same way about it. Some even have RV dumps. They sell just about everything except clothing lines. Lots of camping gear (clothing shoes etc) RV stuff and mostly what Wal-Mart sells except food. So you can expect to part with some cash after browsing the store. Some things can be more expensive but of better quality. For instance Yesterday I bought a wood drill bit 1" at Wal Mart a B&D made in China was $4.95 or close but I opted for a quality bit made in USA for $6 and change. The point that made me laugh was they (the store manager) didn't give a sh** about the signs,  RV's were welcome anyway.
Cheers Willey
For Ray
Ray here's a couple of Pics of the dog. The shepherd is the neighbor's dog Mandy. Gabby (ours) being mostly black doesn't have very good detail in photos. She's even a bit taller now. I'm 5-11 and if she decides to put her paws on my shoulders there's no stopping her (play time) talk about getting looked in the eye  ;D I have to pay attention trying to keep my balance, she's probably between 80 to 90 lb (leaning more towards 90)

Attachments

• Gabby 6 months.JPG
    Gabby 6 months.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 28
  • Gabby 6 months.JPG
    Gabby 6 months.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Gabby 1 year.JPG
    Gabby 1 year.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Gabby+Mandy.JPG
    Gabby+Mandy.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Willey. I visited a couple of Canadian Tire stores in NB, great stores. Didn't get out of there without parting with some of my cash  ;D

Hope she likes RVing.
Hey just open the door and she's the first one in. Wasn't always like that. When we first got her the wife claimed she was a psycho bitch from hell. Now between a destructive dog, complaining wife and trying to get ready for the trip (which I named "A trip to hell and back") modifying the RV, life wasn't too rosy. However the trip did one great thing Gabby became part of the family and the wife began calling her by her name.

Cheers Willey

Back
Top Bottom