Tent Trailer Storage Question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

I have indoor storage arranged for our camper.  It's unheated but closed from the winter elements.  I've read that some owners open their roof a slight crack so as to allow air to pass through the unit during the winter.  Wondering what others think of this practice  ?? 
Some other areas I've read on the net claim that keeping the unit closed and wrapping the opening between the roof and body with shrink wrap our vapour barrier is the best way to go ??

any thoughts ??

I wouldn't see any benefit to keeping it open.  I would make sure it is well dry before closing it up and putting it in storage.  I didn't have the benefit of indoor storage but I stored our old Coleman pop-up for for 14 years with the top closed.  We always placed a few dryer sheets such as bounce on the mattresses before we closed it up and the trailer was always fresh smelling when we opened it again in the spring.  We now put these dryer sheets in our TT before we put it back in storage.

Mildew can be a problem in some areas and some ventilation is the best solution. Hard to say whether you need it in your locale or not. You might be OK all during the cold (dry) weather but then get a problem in the spring is it is real damp (e.g. the northeast). In the southeast, where the humidity is always fairly high, ventilation can be a big help year around.

The downside of leaving it partially open is that it invites critters to move in.  But then, most RVs have openings sufficient for mice and such to enter anyway...

I am wondering then if maybe I might be best to leave it closed, and try and seal it tight around the opening between the roof and body ....

One suggestion would be to go to Camping World or any good RV parts/service vendor and buy a bucket of silicone dessicant.  Put it in the middle of the floor and then close up the unit.  It helps.

You didn't say whether your pop-up has a roof vent.  If so, and the rig's in an enclosed, roofed space, why not leave that open about 30-45 degrees, too?

The idea of leaving the roof itself part way open just seems to invite pests, e. g., mice, wasps, etc., to nest in your trailer.  Who needs that?

G[randpa]

Back
Top Bottom