Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Johnson

While visiting Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR home we had a chance to cross one of the show diners off the list.  We visited Eveready Diner in Hyde Park.  They had featured ribs on the show but they were not available when we were there.  Have two more show entries to visit when we get to MA.

Attachments

• P1010015 (Medium).JPG
    P1010015 (Medium).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 93
I love that show. We've got a place we used to eat in southern California that we've thought about sending in but thought we'd revisit it again this winter to make sure it's still as good as we remember !

Wendy

OK I'm game,
What show is this we are talking about?  It sounds like something I need to add to my Tivo wish list for my cultural expansion. 
Right up there beside "What not to wear"

Betty

Great Food Network show with lots of yummy looking food and some really weird, not so good looking food items (a hamburger with bananas on it comes to mind). Also some interesting architecture and some great and unusual people. You could spend the rest of your life just visiting all the spots he eats.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Great Food Network show with lots of yummy looking food and some really weird, not so good looking food items (a hamburger with bananas on it comes to mind). Also some interesting architecture and some great and unusual people. You could spend the rest of your life just visiting all the spots he eats.

Wendy

I suppose you wouldn't like a banana and mayonnaise sandwich or how about a grilled cheese sandwich with jelly on it or even peanut butter and jelly which is really good.

wendycoke said:
You could spend the rest of your life just visiting all the spots he eats.

Wendy

We've been trying but it is not easy ;D One problem we've been having is locating nearby spots. We have a printout of all of the spots featured on the show but the spots are organized by the date the program was broadcast and it is a real search to figure out if any are near you.

I would guess that we have been to about a dozen or so but could have done more. Haven't been disappointed yet, tho sometimes you can't get your expectations up too high ;)

Ron said:
I suppose you wouldn't like a banana and mayonnaise sandwich or how about a grilled cheese sandwich with jelly on it or even peanut butter and jelly which is really good.

Don't like mayo so you can keep your banana and mayo. And grilled cheese and jelly sounds disgusting. PB&J is always good but I prefer PB & dill pickles and PB & banana is good, too. But PB on a hamburger or banana on a burger....ick. (ok, I don't eat beef so wouldn't try those anyway but they still sound ick).

Is there a list somewhere that can be sorted by location?

Betty - DD&D is on tonight !!! 7 pm mountain time so I'm guessing 5 pm EDT.

Wendy

Sometimes I'll fry up some baloney, then add it to my grilled cheese sandwich as I make that.  Of course, I also add french fries to my hamburgers.

Steve

Now fried bologna I can understand. Grew up eating that. David Letterman's favorite sandwich. You get that nice puddle of grease in the bologna cup, put the bologna on white bread with mustard and pickles. Almost makes me go back to eating red meat.

Wendy

Ah, yes.  A slice of Bologna about a half inch thick, fried with a fried egg on top with mustard and mayo on a tosted hamburger bun and a bottle of Heinikins.  Spent a year in Japan having that as my late night snack before going and playing nursemaid to the AF doing bomb scoring.  Had a great time.

wendycoke said:
Betty - DD&D is on tonight !!! 7 pm mountain time so I'm guessing 5 pm EDT.

Wendy,

Thank you.  I hurried to the bedroom to put the show on my TIVO as a request,  only to discover that we are parked under a tree that does not let me record MY shows.  Only the front TV records.  When we move to a new local I will get the new show programmed.  I'm not complaining  as Terry moved the rig 6 or 7 times and in an almost  a 360 degree range to get HIS TV and Internet.  I'll trade internet for my TV anytime. I can't wait to see the show thought I won't likely eat fried baloney again anytime soon.  Brought back memories of the end of  week when nothing else good was available in the house!

Betty
At Elks Club in PA  under 3 big trees but only $10 per night.

Betty - It's ok, this is the Food Network and they show episodes of every show over and over and over and over........

As for trees, do you remember when we used to go camping and actually looked for campsites under the trees ? Shade has become a poor second to internet and tv access. How did that happen?

Wendy

Nope, ours and also the Navy.  You have to remember that when I was there, it was over 50 years ago!!  I left there in '57 for my discharge and returned to the US to get married and go back to college.

James Godward said:
Bernie,

You have to download the locations from POI factory and put them into your GPS so you don't miss anymore!!  VBG

Jim

I don't think my Garmin (2610) can handle the POI downloads. The downloaded file isn't much better than the program listings since it is not in geographic order, at least not without a usable GPS.

Bernie,

OK, I have a Nuvi and it sorts them by location, either where you are or if you are lookig somewhere else, you name the location, city, of inerest and all is revealed.  VBG  Works great for general searching too ad we have found some good restaurants and other points of interest that way.  There are POIs for the Geocash sites too as well as lots of other things, FJs, etc., etc..

Wow, I am home sick , used to live in Poughkeepsie for 4 years prior to moving to Noth carolina, and we used to go there quite often. Miss the egg creams can't get them here in the south. Went up to N.Y couple months ago first thing Bacon ,Egg and cheese on a Hard roll( Kieser Roll) can't get them here either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom