Networking at home NOT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Since just before we left for the summer, we've had problems with our desktop and laptop talking to each other on our home network. We have cable coming into a Motorola modem connected to a D-Link "g" router. The desktop is connected via ethernet cable (but the same problem when I switch to a wireless adapter) and the laptop via wi-fi.

My laptop connects to the desktop via My Network Places and I am able to transfer files between the computers using the laptop. My desktop does not see the laptop and I cannot synchronize the computers because of that. I get an error message on the desktop:
"\\laptop not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. ...  The network path was not found."

The desktop lists the laptop on "view network computers" but gives me the above error message if I try to connect.

Any suggestions ??? ???

It's not the router, it's in the Windows permissions on the laptop.  Have you run the networking wizard on the laptop computer?  You'll get that error if file and print sharing isn't turned on the laptop computer.

A number of things can cause this.
The computers typically need to be in the same workgroup.
They need to have IP addresses in the same subnet (if your router is providing IP addresses via DCHP, you're fine)

Other common problems:
1) Someone turned on Windows firewall.
2) Norton firewall, Norton security - any other number of computer security products.

They must be in the same subnet and workgroup as he can see the desktop from the laptop.  It could be a firewall, and I would recommend turning it off until the network is fixed, but is usually File and Printer sharing getting turned off.  This could also be the action of a firewall.  Running the wizard is a quick way to get everything set up correctly.

That more or less happened to me.. Finally I deleted everyting in MY NETWORKS and totally re-built the list

Suddenly... Everything worked

Another error I kept getting was "not authorized to access"

That fixed it to.

All of the comments above are valid and helpful.

Something else to keep in mind is that the order in which the PCs are booted can also make a difference.

It's related to the fact that Windows was actually developed with an "Enterprise" environment in mind. This is a network with a domain server, which is essentially in charge of the network.

With home networking, there typically is no server to be "in charge" so the order in which the computers are booted can determine how the network works, including which direction and IF file sharing will work.

This can be especially troublesome, when different versions of Windows are in use on the network.

I feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps backward

Both PCs are running XP Pro SP3 and have "file and printer sharing" turned on.

I am able to connect to the internet with the desktop.

Firewall settings on the 2 computers are the same.

I've run the network setup wizard on both computers multiple times.

I've rebooted the 2 computers in various sequences.

I renamed the desktop and am still able to access it from the laptop. However, none of the desktop shared folders that had been listed on the desktop "My Network Places" window under the old name are appearing under the new name. They appear under the new name on the laptop.

Before I renamed the desktop I saw both the laptop and desktop in "view network computers". I don't even see the desktop and am now getting an error message that I don't have permission to access the workgroup.

Curiouser and curiouser :'(

The computers must have different names but the same workgroup.  Check the workgroup on the desktop as Windows has a bad habit of resetting it to the default if you change anything on that page.  The laptop will see the computer but won't let you access it if it's not in the same workgroup.

Hmmmm? Do you mean you changed the Computer name in the Computer Properties?

That can cause all kinds of interesting network issues. Once you have set up a computer with a name, it is best not to change it.

I would put it back to the name it had previously, making sure, as just mentioned, that both computers have unique names but the identical workgroup name.

Ned said:
The computers must have different names but the same workgroup.  Check the workgroup on the desktop as Windows has a bad habit of resetting it to the default if you change anything on that page.  The laptop will see the computer but won't let you access it if it's not in the same workgroup.

They both have the same workgroup name. I changed the desktop name back to the original and I can now see the rwo computers on My Network Places again but still cannot access the laptop.

Bernie and Ned:

I had a similar problem a few years ago when I set up my first home network and brought my laptop home and tried to file share with my two home computers. It turned out that one computer did not have rights to the other because I had not used the proper domain(business) name and password for the computer.

Bernie I finally resolved it by using the domain/username/password for the laptop when I created rights for it on the other computers. Don't know if yours has a different domain (workgroup) but as Ned pointed out that will cause just that problem.

Although XP Pro can be set up to join a domain, for a home network workgroup is the proper network scheme to use.  If you try to join a domain, it won't work.

Are both systems the same version of windows? If one of them is Vista you will need to load a net link driver on the XP machine. The file name of the link driver is KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe

When you set up file sharing on XP Pro, you have a choice of simple file sharing or using the full capabilities of Windows sharing by sharing only specific folders.  I've not had much luck with the simple file sharing and prefer to share individual folders.  You're offered the choice when you go to share a resource.

Rob, Bernie said both systems are running XP Pro w/SP3.  No Vista complications involved.

Ned said:
When you set up file sharing on XP Pro, you have a choice of simple file sharing or using the full capabilities of Windows sharing by sharing only specific folders.  I've not had much luck with the simple file sharing and prefer to share individual folders.  You're offered the choice when you go to share a resource.

Ned

I don't remember the option for simple file sharing. I do have the sharing option checkmarked in the folders I want to share. But I still should be able to see and access the laptop from the desktop even if I have no files that I share. I do have a number of folders on my laptop with the sharing hand icon underneath. The desktop just won't talk to them.

Back
Top Bottom