EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Stealth camping  (Read 618 times)

JosephGrey

• ---
    • Living On The Stealth
Stealth camping
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »
Hey there,

I realize this is a very old topic but I am very new here, so maybe the two together can make it work out... :-) 

I have been street camping four nights a week for about a year now.  It has really worked out great for me.  Zero problems.   But I am setup for it.  I have a 2008 Chevy Express Cargo van that I have turned into a camper on the inside.  I am totally self contained, though I do drain gray water to the street.  Not much grey water in my use, maybe as much as a pint on a typical night.

The van is setup with two solar panels up on the roof and disguised in.  I have four deep cycle batteries.  I cut a hole in the floor and dropped a basket behind the rear axil that holds two twenty pound propane tanks on a switchover valve.

Now that I have been doing this for a bit I have gotten pretty good at spotting other stealth campers and talked to a few of them.  It is a very safe way to live on the cheap.  I can park around plumbing or electrical shops.  Or the best is small industrial parks surrounded by residential neighborhoods.   Quiet, good police protection.  :-)  This has been for me the perfect answer for an unexpected job change.

--jg
Blogging my Stealth Camper build.  Check out the whole project at http://livingonthestealth.blogspot.com

Frank B

• ---
Re: Stealth camping
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Hahaha! Love it!

I have long wondered about this for an overnight stay. Not all Walmarts allow overnight camping for various reasons. I have seen semi trucks parked in commercial Lots close to Walmarts, and I am sure that they were not just unloading.

I prefer to pay if I have to, to dump. And commercial truck stops are also safe, though tend to be a bit noisy. So far, we have not been in a situation where we had to try the stealth approach. But it is an interesting option. :-) . In any case, we have a 30 foot travel trailer and a 1-ton crew cab long box truck. Not much stealth in that! 😄
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Hosted by Over The Network