1999 Land Rover Discovery Series 1 as towable??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1ash2kyle

I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 4x4 Series 1.  I have driven myself crazy trying to find out if it can be towed 4-down.  I have talked to at least a dozen dealers and the LR corporate office, and the results are very unclear. I would say it is 50/50 on if it can be done. I used to have a Jeep GC Laredo 4x4 and used the same method to put the LR in tow-mode. That is: 1.Transfer case is neutral  2. Transmission in Park  3. Key in #1 position for unlocking steering wheel. It rolls fine using this method. The online manual states that it can be used behind an RV, just follow the "Vehicle Recovery" method, which is exactly what I just explained. My local LR dealer does not recommend, saying the transmission will heat up too much. Does anyone have a solid answer??  PLEASE help!! Thanks! Wayne

I tried today. Missed their closing time. Will try Monday. Thanks!! Any other input is welcome.....

That`s about the only choice you have. I have a `07 Nissan Armada and is the only way I could do it. They can fabricate almost any driveshaft out there, they just need some measurements from your original driveshaft. And if you get it from them, make sure you follow the recomended balancing procedure stated at the Remco manual for your new driveshaft, It`s different that conventional driveshafts, unless you tell the driveshaft shop you go to for balancing they will not use that procedure. AND WILL BIVRATE. causing differential and transmission output shaft and seal failures with time. Other than that, very good system. I am happy with it.

I had a 1989 Range Rover automatic that towed 4 down very easily.  Transmission in neutral and transfer case in neutral and go.  Yours is newer and that may have changed.

Back
Top Bottom