AC Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swc

Hi Folks,

I have a question about adding a roof mounted  AC unit to our trailer.  The trailer is actually a 26' enclosed car hauler that we occasionally sleep in at the race tracks during the summer months. I'm looking for recommendations (brands, BTU's, etc)  We don't need something that can turn it into a meat freezer but we would like to be able to get it down to 75' or so when it is 90+'.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

SWC,

Almost any 13,500 btu unit built for RV's will work. That's about as large as you can go for a single unit (o.k., there are some 15,000 btu units out there) and power off of a normal 110V outlet; 15-20A. For a box that size, you would do well to insulate the heck out of it; sides and ceiling, and use white or another light color on the outside and roof. You should also install a roof vent (Fantastic or other) and a low-mounted louvered air intake. This will help cool down the box quickly after being closed for long periods, and vent gasoline and other fumes too. 

Karl said:
SWC,

Almost any 13,500 Btu unit built for RV's will work. That's about as large as you can go for a single unit (o.k., there are some 15,000 Btu units out there) and power off of a normal 110V outlet; 15-20A. For a box that size, you would do well to insulate the heck out of it; sides and ceiling, and use white or another light color on the outside and roof. You should also install a roof vent (Fantastic or other) and a low-mounted louvered air intake. This will help cool down the box quickly after being closed for long periods, and vent gasoline and other fumes too. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!!  That gives me something to go with.  The trailer currently is finished inside and does have vents and is white in color so that should help a bit.  Since most of the places we get to do not have power we will be acquiring a generator--any idea what an ac unit would require?? 

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom