re plumbing the propane lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1275gtsport

OK I have a 74 dodge 22 foot MH. some of you know this already from other posts. been rebuilding all summer. I have removed the propane tank and all the lines. some of the lines were flattened a bit here and there and made of copper, so they bent and or cracked when moved. what do you recommend to replace them with? most of it will be exposed to the underside of the rig. IE road. should I just replace with the same copper type pipes or would it be better to use flexable hose like found on BBQ's?

My coach has black pipe for the main pipe with soft copper branches to frig, furnace, stove and water heater. There is however a flex hose from the tank and regulator to the start of the black pipe. I replaced it a couple yo years ago because it was rubbing against the frame. I padded the new one with pipe insulation.  By the way, the guy at the propane dealer (also an RVer pointed out that in an emergency the regulator could be unscrewed from the tank and hooked to a 20# tank . Sure enough last winter at my sons place, I ran out in the middle of the night, and used the tank from his BBQ. worked fine.

tony

bross said:
Black pipe or copper is all I would use. I agree with Ron, no flexible hose.

To that list I would add galvanized iron pipe for pipe exposed to the weather or road crud for its corrosion resistance.  Or wrap black pipe in vinyle tape made for the purpose. 

I have to disagree with galvanized pipe. In the refinery I worked in we were taught never to use galvanized pipe or fittings for natural gas lines or propane gas lines. Static electricity builds up in galvanized pipe causing potentially explosive conditions in gas piping systems. In addition the coating can flake off and clog orifices and regulators. 

OK so it looks like the copper is the way to go.
I had thought that maybe the "new" way to do it was some high tech kevlar flexable hose or something. now I wish I had of kept the bent lines I riped out so I could have measured them and just went and got premade correct lengths. now I will have to try and guess a bit and thread something up through the holes to find the lengths. this must be why it takes so long to put it back together :)

Back
Top Bottom