Front Air Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

renae3597

Hello.

We have a 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit. We get some rough riding from it. The honey was wondering if he put air bags on the front would it ride worse. I say yes because we did that to the p/u we had before and without the 5th wheel it rode like a road wagon. So he is wondering if he can buff up the shocks to give it a smoother ride. Truthfully, I think it is our roads in Ohio. Some of them beat us to death. We had to brace up the dash because the roads shook it loose.

Anyone else with this issue? Any help?

Bill and Renae
2 shelties
1 motorhome

What type of chassis is under your Georgie Boy?  It will be either a Workhorse or a Ford. If a Workhorse, is it the P32 model or one of the W20/W22 models? I ask because the Workhorse P32 already has airbags and was often used by Georgie Boy.

I would work on tire pressures first.  Excess tire pressure will cause an unnecessarily harsh ride.  Get the motorhome weighed, front and rear axles separately (any truck scale can do this).  If possible, weigh each "corner" separately to check for imbalances, but just front axle and rear axles totals are OK.  Once you know how much weight each axle is carrying, look up the tire manufacturer's recommended tire pressure for your particular model and size of tire.  There is a load inflation table for every brand and size of tire that tells you how much pressure is needed to support that load. A dealer should be able to provide it, but most manufacturers have it on their web site as well.  Don't rely on a dealers casual work to use such-and-such a pressure - look it up in the inflation table!  It is critical to have enough but any extra is just causing you aggravation.

Somebody here can probably help you find the info you need.

In addition to setting up the right tire pressure based on weight as Gary suggests, consider inspecting the present shock absorbers.  If they are due for replacment, put in Bilsteins before adding after market air bags.

Good quality shock absorbers will make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom