Winterizing RV - at what temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toy4x4boy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the RV world but loving it so far.  Question though.

Last night the temperature was supposed to drop no lower than 36.  When I woke up this morning, my outdoor temperature gauge read 31.  Do I need to be concerned that damage has been done to my travel trailer?  I have not winterized it yet as we plan to take it out next weekend one last time.  This is the first night it has gone below freezing, and no more sub freezing temps are expected through next weekend.  Do you think I am OK?  Temps are expected to warm to the low 60's here today so I will check everything out then.  Thanks for youe help!  :-\

My general rule of thumb is to worry when the temp goes to 26ish at night and doesn't go above 50 or so during the day.

This has worked for the last 6 years I've owned my "C".

I also blow the lines out with air instead of filling them with the pink stuff. I made an adapter to connect my air compressor to my water inlet, regulated to 25psi. I open the traps and leave the air run for about 45 minutes to work out all possible moisture. Pink stuff goes into the sink traps and tanks, main water tank and water heater drained and traps left open. Use rubberbands to hold an old sock end onto the outlet. This prevents bugs from coming in. If stored outside, cover the wheels and hang newspaper so it hangs on the window side of the curtain rods. Block out all possible sunlight. I've installed trickle chargers for the main and coach batteries, and they run on a timer so only at night (cheaper electricity). The alternative would be to remove the batteriesand store them inside for the winter. Be advised if you bring them in... They CANNOT be stored on concrete flooring. For whatever reason, concrete will kill the battery. You need to elevate them several inches. you will probably need to recharge them in the springtime.

I store mine in this manner so I can use it at will anytime during the winter. "Opening" it up for use is easy and so is storing it again.

Joe

Temps vary.. However a low of 31 you are likely OK so long as you have more than a little water in the tanks (Takes TIME to freeze)

If you have enclosed plumbing (Common on motor homes, not so common on trailers where the waste pipes are often exposed) and heat is provided for the "wet" compartments you should be good to 20 degrees (F) or -6 (C) or there abouts, some can go down to even lower temps.  Plus you can add supplemental heat (I "tossed" a string of C-9 Christmas tree bulbs under my fresh tank and a 100 watt light bulb under the black/gray.. They share air-space) this gives me another 10 (F)

Personally I like to blow the lines out if lows are expected to be in the lower than 35 for more than one night, and... I'm not occupying the rig.. If I'm occupying the rig I'll go down to 20 (But plug in that thermostat controlled string of lights)

So far I've only froze one time,  Damage was less than 10 bucks in parts plus labor  Labor was free since it was within my skill set to fix it.  I got lucky

Advice about batteries...
Concrete was a problem when batteries had hard rubber cases.  The newer plastic does not have a problem with concrete.
Do not bring batteries inside for storage.  The chemical activity is accelerated with higher temperature.  Just be sure the batteries are fully charged (check with a hygrometer).  Remove the cables.
Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom