Will USA manufacturers step up and meet their customers face-on ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVOA

Many many thanks to Kath and her team who gave a great presentation and to Craig who took our group on the Swift factory visit. The visit took us through the whole process from cutting the wood to the finished vehicle and finished with questions and lunch. Must say we were very impressed by the attitude at Swift, very open and transparent about problems, willing to learn from complaints, listen to and accept suggestions from customers.
They are constantly reviewing their procedures and processes using feedback from their customers. A tribute to their very unique approach . Would definately buy again from this forward thinking British company and would not hesitate to recommend them to prospective purchasers

The above quote was recently made about a UK motorhome manufacturer.

The manufacturer in question (Swift Motorhomes) were subjected to several forum complaints in recent years, but the (semi-retired) owner decided to join the various online forums to find out where they were going wrong and attempted to sort out unhappy customer issues (very well it turns out).

He bypassed his dealer network and arranged for his team to contact unhappy customers. They worked together to resolve any issues (often thru that established dealer network).

Swift then arranged factory visits. Yes, I know US manufacturers do the same, but how many have the systems in place to listen to complaints and act upon them. How many listen to customer suggestions and try to implement those too.

We did a couple of factory tours when we were in the US and each was purely a huge "aren't we great" pitch. Each dismissed any questions which breached the standard "tour pitch".

I would love to know which manufacturers are happy to listen to customers, get involved with open discussion online and actively try to sort out customer problems.

Paul

PS for fear of upsetting anyone, I do feel that the average US motorhome offers a huge advantage over the average European model - except, perhaps, when things go wrong.

RVOA said:
I would love to know which manufacturers are happy to listen to customers, get involved with open discussion online and actively try to sort out customer problems.

We haven't taken delivery of our new HitchHiker yet, but the manufacturer, Nuwa, does seem to listen to their customers.  The CEO is active on the Nuwa owners forum, pays attention to what the members say (including complaints),  and posts messages about company plans. 

It's also easy to get in touch with individuals at the company by phone or email and they are very helpful. 

BTW, I don't think they are a typical US RV manufacturer.

Jeannine

Monaco Coach does the same.  They offer daily factory tours and you go all areas of the manufacturing and see everything from original chassis building on through the complete manufacture and roll out of the new coach.  You also see the cabinet shop and other operations such as painting and so forth. 

From personal experience I know they do review complaints and problems and adopt customer ideas. Last but not least Monaco Coach stands behind its warranty and many times will fix items even after the warranty has expired. 

At official Monaco rallies they will fix almost any two items on your coach free even long after the warranty has expired.  By the way I said ALMOST because they will not fix diesel engines, transmissions, and so forth.  Also, if your warranty has expired you pay for the parts and they fix it for free (labor only).  I have even seen them replace windshields BUT you pay for the glass.

JerryF

We have enjoyed similar experience at American Coach.  The do listen to their customers and even have held meetings with the ladies discuss interior designs at American Coach Rallies. Prior to an American Coach rallies members are asked to submit up to 6 items and they will have the parts available they will fix or repair up to six items listed at no cost.  The last time we went in for factory service was last year and the repair was completed at no cost to us.

I have never been at a motorhome factory, however, I hear lots of good things about them. You can call Mr Tiffin in person and he will listen to your complaints and suggestions. I know the US lives life in the fast lane in this days, and employees all over the country go to work for one reason and one reason only. Cost of living and inflation is one of the main reason you could blame the suggestions for this differences, but I think our motorhome workers take pride in what they do, if not, our coaches would fall appart driving down the road. If we would stop complaining about every little thing that happens to everything we own and instead of, for example,  posting how soon my cabinet door got loose while driving down the road, all we have to do is grab a cordless drill or a philips screw driver and put a wider screw on the hinge and go on with our lives enjoying the coaches. I would be upset if every single door would get loose at the same time but, has this happened to anyone?

Or instead of complaining about how uncomfortable my kitchen is, you just have to buy another coach with a different kitchen or learn to live with your existing kitchen if you can`t buy another coach. This constant complaining is what leads to things out of hand. I know we all don`t have to like the same things but, wouldn`t life be a lot easier for us, the manufacturer  and sales people (perhaps make them more honest and simplify their life), if there were less floorplan types and less differences in lenght? somebody tell me what is the advantage of having a extra 12 inches on a coach other than a tag axle and more things to brake down and complaint about. Looks? Come on people.

This is to my opinion one of the main reasons why we pay big money for better quality motorhomes (even though they brake down too). And sometimes sooner than a lower end coach. At the same time, I don`t think our manufacturing workers would put less effort in building a lower end coach (I would like to still think that way). I know they use cheaper materials. What if instead of building 25 different floor plans or more for one brand only, we don`t concentrate in simplicity and build fewer floorplans so we can address situations with less worries and the carpentry shop at the factory had less headaches with fewer designs so they can concentrate in quality and durability?

Are we gonna stop Rving and buying coaches and travel trailers and supporting America`s workers just because they build less floor plans and we complain less? You tell me, I might be wrong.

Chassis and drivetrain? You are right! We should have very little tolerance to problems related to this components. The rest? I learned to pay less attention to minor issues and enjoy life a bit better.

Sorry guys, just got motivated and wanted to vent.  JUST GO CAMPING AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE!

Not a MH, but CrossRoads RV does the same thing. Randy one of the factory reps. even has his phone # & ext. # on the  CrossRoads forum. He is also active on the forum, answering & explaining important issues that people ask & or complain about. They will & are more than happy to setup tours of their factory also. CrossRoads has a rally at their factory once a year, includes a tour, also includes interaction with factory reps & execs. from CrossRoads. They will & do listen to their RV owners.

In addition to Jerry's comment, I would add that Monaco rallies always have a "Ladies Only" seminar run by the Vice President of Product Development.  After attending these for many years I can attest to the fact that Monaco tries to accomodate owner complaints because I have seen some of the changes that resulted after a Ladies Only session.  At the last one I attended we were told (in response to a complaint) that this was a problem currently in litigation with the supplier and they were awaiting legal resolution before the problem could be tackled.  Monaco was not any happier about the situation than its customers.  That stuff happens too.  In other words, the problem isn't caused by the RV manufacturer but by a supplier who has provided a poor product.  On the other hand, I recall several years back when a panel of owner ladies was asked to design their idea of a "perfect" RV and Monaco actually manufactured it.  Most of us "old-time" RVers thought it very impractical and were less than impressed so it did not sell well and was discontinued.  But I gave Monaco a lot of credit for taking that unique step.

So, to answer the original question, yes some USA manufacturers do try to meet their customers face-on.  That's why some like Monaco have so many repeat customers.  We have owned two Lazy Daze Class Cs and two Monaco Class As because they produce quality products and are customer-oriented.

ArdraF

Bravo Busa!!!

A man who thinks as we do...  We know of people who run to the factory for every little mishap.  Who would they go to if they built a house and a screw came loose on a door knob?  Would they track down the contractor who may well be in another city or state by then?  I think too many RV owners are nit-pickers and expect complete perfection.  Were I a perfect person, so would I.  However, I have learned long ago, (being a retired Navy wife) that you learn to so SOME things for yourself and not always depend on someone else. 

Now, this is pointed at the nit-pickers, not when a cabinet completely falls off the wall, or an appliance stops working (under warranty) or something happens that is more than Fred and I can fix.  That is then a major responsibility of the manufacturer, again under warranty.  Perhaps prices wouldn't be so high if people took a little more responsibility and all these little "adjustments" didn't have to be built into the manufacturing price.  ::)

Daisy and Fred

Ditto to Busa and Daisy/Fred,

When one buys/uses a multi-complex machine like an RV or a boat or any other electro-mechanical device of that sort, it is my opinion that more than a medium amount of expertise is a mandatory asset.

Just imagine being on boat (or RV) miles from anywhere, what will be your plan to find a blown fuse, and replace it, etc. If an imortant screw falls out, will you call 911 ? ..... Anyone with zero or little experience in repairing things on the fly, best think twice before letting the emotions of wishing to fulfill that dream of traveling get you in that position. It ain't easy and some folks will never be able to do that, unless they have a big wallet and unlimited time.

Folks need to know their limitations and plan their life/future accordingly.

Just another vent.....

carson FL  89.2F

Back
Top Bottom