Driving Licences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have a U.K. licence which is valid until I'm 70, so don't even have to worry about updating it until then.  I did get my first U.S. license in California (note the appropriate spellings!) and didn't lose the U.K. one.  Buddy, you said you used your U.K. one when you rent a car in the U.K.  Have you found that to be cheaper to do than using the U.S. one or is it merely a nostalgic moment?

Christine

Thanks BT. I started looking again after posting that message, but finally decided to get some sleep. I can get a replacement for the old paper style, but not the newer ones.

I still have my Dad's small one from when they used to put the in a stiff cover a little larger than a credit card. I didn't keep my small one - probably threw it out when the larger ones were introduced.

I always know where to find stuff, but periodically I get told to "clean up the mess and throw out some of the junk". A few weeks later I'm looking for something I threw out &/or can't find something I put in a safe, logical place.

I still have a U.K. licence which is valid until I'm 70...

Is that be one of the large paper ones Christine, same style as the ones I've mislaid (or one of us inadvertently threw away?)

...note the appropriate spellings!

LOL, when I worked for a CA company while still living in the UK, I used to be continually teasing my colleagues across the pond about their spelling. When we came here to live, I'd subconsciously switch from one to the other depending on who I was writing to. Over time, I quit worrying about it, and nowadays, I have no idea whether I'm writing English, Amlish or Wenglish  :(

Have you found that to be cheaper to do than using the U.S. one

All the times I've rented cars in the UK, it never occurred to me that there might have been a difference in rental fees. I wonder if that's why I always thought that UK rentals were very expensive. Might be another reason to find our bi-lingual licenses or get them replaced.

Tom,
I believe you need both parts.  I have a small pink EU style one, credit card size.  The larger piece is for your endorsements.  The small one is invalid without the larger one.  Within the last year I tried to open a building society account in Britain and none would take my money as I only had the small card with me.  They really don't want foreign accounts anymore because of the perceived potential terrorism threat so you can't open one with your US address.  I tried to use my parents' address which is the one on my DL but didn't have the large paper. 

My 4 year old granddaughter commented to her mother that I had read the instructions for a game in English as I was from England.  Her mother asked her what language she spoke "Alabama," she replied!

Christine

derek said:
Thanks all,

I don't have a lot of time this morning, the "semi" awaits. Work is such a pain.
Thanks for the advice on licences,eased my mind no end. Troubled a little over ownership, my idea was to park it up for 7 or 8 months a year, and then pick up for another extended vacation ( not holiday ). Maybe I can lean on my friends to own it on our behalf ?
Roundabouts. Have you heard of the one in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Thirty miles north of London. One RAB about 200 ft across, but with 5 mini RAbs, on it's circumference. Believe me, life is so much simpler your side of the pond. Four way stop signs, easy peasy.
Thanks all, Derek

The Scots have you English beat all hollow.  To enter East Kilbride, up by Glasgow, one has to negotiate a chain of 5 roundabouts.   You come whipping out of one and directly whip into another.   It is like those teacup rides in amusement parks.  Visiting PREK is a dizzying experience. 

Interesting Christine. When we were in the UK staying with our oldest son, he got a ticket in the mail for going too fast past one of the speed cameras. All he sent to the DVLA to get endorsed was the credit card sized part. I watched him put it in the envelope and he didn't mention another part. I assumed they put the endorsement on the magnetic strip on the back of the license. He'll be here in a few weeks, so I'll take a closer look at his new-style license and quiz him a little (I might have it all wrong, so I'm curious).

Hi everyone
this is my first post but i have been lurking for months.
We are three uk guys travelling for an extended vacation, we recently had the pleasure of dealing with the florida dmv so here goes :
All that is required for Florida licences is a valid Fl address (any will do)
your passport and immigration slip (visa waiver form will do)
your uk licence just the plastic bit.

You take the documents to the dmv and then take the Florida driving test which is in two parts, part one is a computer test so easy its truly mind blowing !!
Part two is the "practical " which consists of driving in a straight line, pulling into a parking bay and turning left you may be unlucky and have to reverse for 50 feet as well !
You then have your photo taken a 15 second eye test and you're done.

You then receive a paper licence valid for 30 days while you wait for your real licence.

Just to let you know not only does having a us licence drastically reduce your insurance it allows you to obtain bank accounts, cellphones and internet contract etc etc very worth while.
couple of points  the licence is valid only for the length of your authorised stay and you do not have to surrender your uk licence.

hope that helps.

I can tell you from experience that having a US license will effect insurance rates.  A foreign or international drivers license is considered unverifiable.  Most major companies will not cover them. Those that do will add a loading equal to at least one accident.  The funny thing is that they will not question an 40+ person with a new license, I guess they just think it is a renewal.

Buddy Tott said:
Tom...

I was extremely surprised to hear that CA DMV seized your UK DL, upon obtaining a CA lic. 

Didn't make myself clear here.
I was trying to say that the way the web site read was, CA would replace a UK licence with their own. Read corectly, that only applies on obtaining residency. I can't help  it, I'm getting old, and the brain cells don't rub together like they used to.

Derek

tswms said:
I can tell you from experience that having a US license will effect insurance rates.  A foreign or international drivers license is considered unverifiable.  Most major companies will not cover them. Those that do will add a loading equal to at least one accident.  The funny thing is that they will not question an 40+ person with a new license, I guess they just think it is a renewal.

This is interesting....

Keith  (Brit)

RV Roamer said:
Driver licenses are issued by the individual states, as are vehicle licenses, so you have to select a state as a base of operations and apply there. Rules will vary somewhat from state to state.  You can get a International Driver License in the UK but I'm told you will likely pay higher insurance premiums in the US if you use the International License instead of getting a local one.

There is some info in the Library HERE

I'm coming in late here (my point may have been made already - sorry if so) but to the best of my knowledge the International Driving Permit is not an actual driving licence.  When I offered mine (four years ago) to a rental company in Houston the staff member just looked bemused - my UK licence was fine. 

I had taken the International Permit just in case.... just to be on the safe side.... as we began our 18 month trip.....and it was pointless. 

Similarly a declaration of my claims-free history from my vehicle insurance company was of no value in the US.  It's not surprising.  Why would anyone take any notice?

All the IDP is, is a translation of your national drivers license.  It is of little use in the USA for the bearer of a license in English.  However, if a tourist is carrying, say, a Polish, or Chinese license, the IDP could come in very handy dealing with a deputy sheriff on state highway 428 just outside of West Dogsquat, OK. 

And then again, it might not, but at least it is worth a try.  It is cheap enough. 

Driving licenses in Wales have an English translation on the back  ;)  Now, if only I could remember where I put mine  :(

BritChris...

I used my UK DL for Rental purposes - when renting in the UK.  I can't recall what insurance I used - whether I took additional coverage out at the rental company or showed my US insurance certificate which had an  'okay to drive abroad'  endorsement.    I don't know if the rates were significantly different, using one DL over another.  Being the scrooge that I am, there must have been some monetary benefit to my using my UK licence.  I wouldn't have done so, just for nostalgia.

Also, as I recall, some countries, and I expect UK is one, have reciprical arrangements regarding driving violations.  That is to say that a conviction for an offence in the UK could appear as a conviction on your license in the US.  Now how that information is forwarded leaves the door wide open to error and mistake.  Never-the-less, A DUI conviction, say in the UK, while on holiday could, in time, appear on your US driving record.  That record is available to insurance companies for determing good / negligent driver rates.  That's probably the reason why I drove on my UK DL and leave my CA DL 'out of the picture'.  Without reference to my CA DL, there would be no need for any conviction to be reported over here by the UK DMV.    It's been a few years since I was over there (5 or 6) and my memory ain't what it never was.

BT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom