Attn: RON.......your opinion of Sales Reps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
Lazy Days sales reps are all pretty ethical, in my experience, and they do invest time & money in training their reps in the products and RVing safety. In my opinion it's one good reason to do business thee.

We bought our Eagle from Lazy Days and concur with Gary thoughts.  If we were to buy another our first dealer chhoice would be Lazy Days.

Poltax said:
So the question is, how truthful are you in selling that new item you need to your wife???   LOL

I have used that line "you had to sell yourself to your spouse" for a long time

The quoted question is the key however.. I can not sell products I do not believe in.

Thus.. I could sell RVs (Being as I own one) and be honest about it.    I"d have a problem selling a 10,000 pound trailer to someone planing on towing with  a mini-truck though.

John wrote:  "I'd have a problem selling a 10,000 pound trailer to someone planing on towing with  a mini-truck though."

It seems to me that salesmen that are less than ethical have chosen to be that way, casting aside their ethics (and their dignity) for a few dollars.  Why would a good salesman, who sells a good product and believes in that product, need deception as a sales tool?  It's a sad comment to make on my fellow human beings but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I'm reminded of a line in an old song, I belive it was written by Woody Guthrie and recorded by Ramblin Jack Elliot, "The Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd", that goes:

Now as through this life I've rambled
I've seen lots of funny men
Some will rob you with a six-gun
And some with a fountain pen.

Steve 

As a life long salesman (and yes I am proud of the title) I feel I must put my 2 cents in.  I also have a problem selling a product I do not believe in.  That said, the easiest person to sell is one who already has his mind made up. The hardest thing is often selling him what he needs, not what he wants.  I firmly believe you can't cheat a person unless he wants to be cheated.  Anyone making as large an investment as a RV must take the time to research the products and know what he wants and needs. Anyone who has a F 150 and wants to buy a 10,000# trailer will go from dealer to dealer until
someone sells it to him. And then probably complain.

Its a little like the kid who shot his parents and then went into court and begged for mercy because he is a orphan.

Sure there are bad apples out there but usually don't last long.  An informed consumer won't want to do business with them.

Now that I am down of my soap box it is time to go wash the coach.

Tony

You do have a point there Tony.. However I've dealt with many salesmen and where a few, a very few, do know that an F-150 is a tad small for 10K dry of trailer...  And you are right, Many will salesman shop till they find one who says "No Problem"

And of course it's those we get to read about in the paper shortly there after.

However, as said. I've met good ones and I've met the "no Problem" type.  When I went to the dealer it was not to be "Sold" it was to place an order. (I'm more or less the kind of customer a salesman loves.. Low maintenance) but this does not stop people from trying to sell me something other than what I wanted.

(I got what I went for)

Still.. Many times I've had sales men try to sell me somethind I did not want.

In the airplane business you are describing the salesman who says:

"This bird can take off from 2500 feet, fly 1400 miles, and carry 8 people."

It can, just can't do any two on the same trip. ;D

Jeff Cousins said:
In the airplane business you are describing the salesman who says:

"This bird can take off from 2500 feet, fly 1400 miles, and carry 8 people."

It can, just can't do any two on the same trip. ;D

You forgot to mention that this is all possible on a fuel consumtion of 9.8GPH. ;D ;D ;D

I noticed that in Poltax's first post he stated he was a sales rep.

I think there is a difference between a sales rep and a salesmen. I think of sales reps as representing the manufacture and selling to dealers. I think of salesmen as selling to the public.

I can't remember ever meeting a sales rep that didn't know his/her product. I've met many a salesmen that didn't have a clue what they were selling.

When I'm shopping I like to know a couple of facts about the product I'm shopping for. I ask the salesmen the questions and see what I get for an answer. If the salesmen gives me the right answers or admits that he/she doesn't know but will find out I'll work with them. If all I get is what I know is BS then I find another salesmen.

If I hear "what will it take for you to drive this home today?" I'm out the door.

The worst dealership I've ever had contact with is Beaudry RV. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
The worst dealership I've ever had contact with is Beaudry RV. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

My sentiments exactly Don.  While we did not buy from them we did stop there once but when they started swapping salesman routine we left.

Don spoke of the difference between a sales REP and a salesman... Yes, there are some differneces.

However a sales rep normally deals with professionals, and usually knows more about the product he's pushing.

A salesman may or may not know his product, he deals with the public

However both of them come in good and bad flavors.

A salesman may or may not know his product, he deals with the public

I spent a career working with professinal salesmen and saleswomen who sold to corporations and dealt only with professionals. They never sold to the public.

Back
Top Bottom