Reversed battery polarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarbin

I kind of have an issue on my StarCraft 95 pop up where everything is works fine, but the two wires going to my battery I have a fuse on my ground wire and the positive wire is connected to the frame. I checked the wire hook up inside the cover and positive is red which goes to the posiitive on the battery and the same with negative which is black. The wires have eyelet terminals and one is larger than the other so you cannot reverse them. Should I reverse the battery so that ground goes to the ground fame and positive to the fuse line? Or don't worry about it?

The unit is obviously set up for positive ground, which was common on pre-60s British automobiles.  There is nothing wrong with it, however don't even try to charge the batts from the tow vehicle as it is definitely negative ground and you could end up with serious damage.

As for converting it to  negative ground, it is do-able.  But.......................

jcarbin said:
I kind of have an issue on my StarCraft 95 pop up where everything is works fine, but the two wires going to my battery I have a fuse on my ground wire and the positive wire is connected to the frame. I checked the wire hook up inside the cover and positive is red which goes to the posiitive on the battery and the same with negative which is black. The wires have eyelet terminals and one is larger than the other so you cannot reverse them. Should I reverse the battery so that ground goes to the ground fame and positive to the fuse line? Or don't worry about it?

A 1995?!   That positive ground is very suspicious, it may well be miswired as it is opposite every US vehicle in made in the past 50 years at least.   But before doing anything, call StarCraft and find out if they ever made their rig with a  positive ground.  And by anything, I mean anything, even hooking up to your tow vehicle.

I noticed you said "I have a fuse in my ground wire"

I will ask a question. but first a bit of explanation.

I try to read what you wrote,  NOT, always, what you mean by what you wrote

You wrote "Ground wire"

The Ground wire is the wire that connects to the frame of the unit.. No it can also connect to the negative terminal on the battery or to the positive, but the ground wire is ALWAYS the wire that connects to the frame

A battery fuse can be placed in either the Ground or the "HOT" wire (The hot wire is the one that connects to everything OTHER than the frame of course, it's the "12 volt" wire in the rigl,where as the ground can be negative or positive, the HOT is positive or negative (Same options, reversed)

I can think of a very good argument for putting a fuse in the battery GROUND wire

So the question is.. by "Ground" do you mean "The wire that connects to the chassis"

Or did you mean to type "Negative".. Which is the wire hooked to the "-" terminal on the battery?

NOTE: that this post answers none of your questions

Back
Top Bottom