Traveling from Oceanside CA to Indiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GMJim

Hello all
When I moved here to Oceanside I went across I-20 to I-10 to avoid steep hills instead of I-40.  Now I'm headed for Indiana and I could use some advice.  California is basically all hills I know but once outside CA I was told this route was better and there were less steep long hills.  I'm pulling a heavy trailer and would like to avoid the long steep grades if I can.  Is the lower route (I-10 / I-20) better than I-40.  Has anyone traveled both of these routes that can give me an idea of which is better?  I would rather spend a few extra bucks for gas than beat up my truck and trailer brakes.
Thanks
Jim

We have traveled both routes and I-10 is definitely lower than I-40 that climbs up to 7000 feet or so at Flagstaff. It also is better weather wise this time of year. Once you get past El Paso I-10 is still the lower route, but not by much over I-20. If the Dallas weather is good I-20 will be a bit little shorter.

Have a good trip.

I-10 is the all weather, all season, low altitude route across the country.  It only rises to 4600 feet crossing the continental divide just east of Lordsburg, NM.  I-40 as Jeff said goes up to 7000 feet and spends a lot of time over 6000 feet travesing the Colorado and Kibab Plateaus.  We are also edging into late fall up on the plateaus and Flagstaff can get a whole bunches of snow.

Jeff and Carl
Thanks very much for the advice.  I'll stick to the I-10 and I-20 route.  I don't need the extra worries about weather.
Jim

Jim,

We've made the trip to Indiana from Bonsall, CA for the last three years and have gone via a variety of routes.  I 10 is boring, but safe at this time of the year.  It also has lots of truckers.

Where are you going in Indiana.  We grew up in Ft. Wayne.

Marsha~

Marsha
Being transferred to South Bend.  Brrrrrr.  Going to have to get used to the cold weather again.  Yes I-10 was a boring drive on the way here.  Boring is better than white knuckles and two feet of snow though.
Jim

Oh my goodness....South Bend is indeed cold.  I'm not sure we could go back at this point.  We've been in CA since 1977 and our kids/granddaughter are here.  Plus I've gotten really used to warm weather and sunshine.

Keep us posted on your drive back.  I agree I 10 is much better than 2 feet of snow.  :)

Marsha~

I'm not looking forward to the snow at all.  I have another question though.  What is I-8 like between San Diego and I-10?  This would save me a few miles.  Any problems along this route?
Thanks
Jim

Check the route from San Diego east bound on I-8 as there is a steep climb for quite a ways from the east part of San Diego for about 20 or so miles.  I don't have my Mountain Directory in the house but it is there.

GMJim said:
I'm not looking forward to the snow at all.  I have another question though.  What is I-8 like between San Diego and I-10?  This would save me a few miles.  Any problems along this route?
Thanks
Jim

Ron is right.  Do read up in the Mountain Directory about I-8 just east of SD.  The Directory entry is rather detailed -- never a good sign.

Thank you all very much for the info.  I'll have to get a mountain directory.
Jim

The grade on I-8 through Alpine east of San Diego is long and tough when towing.  It's at least 20 miles and a steady climb.  I think it's one of, if not the longest continuous grades in the US.  I took it a couple of weeks ago (Class C and toad).  I was glad to get to my exit and wasn't close to the summit.  I had no problems but was considering pulling over to cool down a bit, non-the-less.  From O'side I think I would take Rt 76 to I-15 north, 215 N to I-10 or I-90 east toward Riverside and then pick up I-10 east.  Virtually flat except for a bit of a gradient on I-10 heading to Palm Springs.  It can be a bit windy though. 

BT

Jim,

I used to live in Bonsall and would take my horses up to Cuyamca State Park horse camping and did it more than a few times.   I-8 does have a steady climb east bound for about 20 miles +/-, but it's doabale.   However, the west bound direction on I-8 is a steeper longer grade from Yuma.  That one is a doozie. 

If you decide to go I-8 and join up with I-10, you might want to take the "Buckman cutoff" which is west of Phoenix and goes north to I-10.  Otherwise you have to go through Phoenix which can have a lot of traffic.

Otherwise, you could go #76 to Bonsall and onto I-15, then I 10 as Buddy mentioned.  There is a Hemet cut-off to I-10 through "Lambs Canyon".  Do you know where that is?

Thanks Buddy and Marsha

Not sure where Lambs Canyon is but I see Lambs Canyon road on the map north of Hemet.  Rt. 79.
Jim

I didn't know the name of the cut-off was Lambs Canyon, but I've used that route several times from Hemet over to I-10.  It's a nice easy grade and very doable with a trailer/5r or MH with toad.  Take I-15 north to I-215 north.  Take R79 to Hemet (13 miles) turn left the intersection immediately after Golden Village Palms RV resort (Street name begins with S I think and may be 'State') anyway that takes you out of town, north and through Lamb's Canyon and across to I-10.  Easy, pleasant ride though not really a time saver because of traffic signals and slower speeds in and around Hemet. 

If you decide to take that route, ignore the street signs identifying the '79' route as it takes you on a wild and wonderful ride around the outskirts of Hemet and through San Jacinto, which isn't necessary.  Hemet is about 90 minutes from Oceanside.

BT

I got it all written down!  Thank you all very much for your help.  Now if you could only tell me where I can buy gas for a buck a gallon along the way? ;)
Thanks
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom