Multiple and extended visits to the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing which bothers me with the anti-terrorism argument is that your "everyday terrorist" is going to come over on the Visa Waiver Program for a 3 month stay and then just vanish.

Has it been proven yet that terrorists fill out B2 Visa forms, pay a fee, attend an interview at the US Embassy, wait at their home address for said Visa to arrive, get to the USA, visit for 6 months, hand in the I-94 stub on exit and then re-visit for another 6 months and go thru half the checks again?

Here's me thinking they would rather keep under the radar and not bother with all the above checks and double-checks.

Paul

Paul,

As I told Mick, don't look for logic. Having spent many years dealing with various US government agencies, I sure don't expect it.

Tom

I just worked it out....

Stop every decent person from wanting to enter the Country, so that the terrorists are the only ones left and will be easier to spot.  ;D ;D ;D

Paul

Paul,

If you were as old as Mick and me you'd remember a guy called Enoch Powell who warned about lenient UK immigration policies. He was sent to Coventry for his views. Because nobody listened to him, the UK is now more cosmopolitan than the US  ;)

Now Tom, you know that importing all those south Asians was the only way the British were going to get decent service in a restaurant.   ;D

LOL Carl, I didn't (often) frequent those restaurants.

For those who wonder who Enoch was, here's the Wikipedia on him.

Tom

There is nothing wrong with immigration. If someone is skilled to do a job where there is a shortage or fill a job nobody else is prepared to do then it is a win-win situation.

The problem was where those immigrants were allowed free reign to do their own thing, under the guise of cultural development, rather than adhere to the general rules of their adopted Country. The fast progression of the US-inspired "compensation culture" allowed them to bulldoze their way thru our Laws to form their own min-homelands. Once we accepted new EU Human Rights legislation we were truly @@@@ as any link to common sense quickly went out the window and anyone with the slightest grievance would be heading to court.

The UKs immigration policy itself was not at fault - it was our stupidity in not spelling out the rules and enforcing them from day 1.

Paul

There is nothing wrong with immigration.

Didn't suggest there was Paul. Remember, I'm an immigrant to this country, as are several members of my family. But the U.S. has quotas and a process for legal immigration, including a 5-year "probation" period before being allowed to apply for citizenship. The UK OTOH threw the doors open to anyone and everyone who wanted to come, with no restrictions. And come they did, and they're still coming, and many are scrounging off the state, taking advantage of (demanding) any and every government handout.

FWIW I was in favour of having visa requirements and immigration controls for anyone crossing the Severn Bridge. Now that the tool booths are on the west end of the bridge (used to be on east end), they could easily be manned by immigration officers and used to control the inflow of English hooligans  ;D

We do seem to have side-tracked to the issue of immigration and not the problems of visiting as the post was intended.

I did take Toms advice and looked at the requirements to enter the UK;

US citizens do not require any type of Visa to visit the UK for short periods (nor do we to visit the US for upto 3 months).

Unlike the US policy of frowning on return and regular visits, the UK states "The Entry Clearance Officer may decide to make your visa valid for a shorter time than you have asked for, for example if you are not a regular traveller or have never visited the UK before." which suggests that you would be more welcome to make regular returns (ie an RVer coming every 6 months to tour).

The UK offer a Long Term Premium Visa which "identifies the holder as a person known and trusted by the UK government".

I guess the only way we get one back at you guys is by charging you $430 for a Long Term Visa. ;D

Paul

I guess the only way we get one back at you guys is by charging you $430 for a Long Term Visa.

What a great idea!  Thanks Paul.  I will send the suggestion right in, in these days we need every penny we can lay out hands on.  ;D

My wife and I have entered the USA quite a few times at airports, Mexico and Canada and got the 6 month stamp without problems.

Our advice is to smile broadly, be very friendly, ensure the guy/gal knows you are from England (they love us really) and tell them you have to leave the USA on (give a date a few weeks shy of the 6 months you need). And tell them you LOVE the USA.

Perhaps we have been lucky but the above has worked for us.

Tom said:
Paul,

If you were as old as Mick and me you'd remember a guy called Enoch Powell who warned about lenient UK immigration policies. He was sent to Coventry for his views. Because nobody listened to him, the UK is now more cosmopolitan than the US  ;)

If you havent seen the Tommy Teirnan sketch on the UK being cosmopolitan it goes along these lines : The English go off and invade 2/3rds of the world then get pi**ed off when people start to follow them home.

Been away from the UK too long to know who Tommy Teirnan is. Just Googled and see that he's doing a US tour and will be in San Francisco in October.

I won't be driving the 150 miles round trip or wasting my money to listen to garbage.

There's also a sketch video on his web site, but I didn't bother to watch it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom