Solar Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstruc

We just bought a used travel trailer (2004 Outback 30'), and the guy that we bought it from wanted to know if we wanted the solar wiring included (for an extra price, $700 CAD). This included an inverter and 5 gel batteries (but no solar collectors). Do you think it would be worth wile buying these? We usually stay in electric spots but sometimes spend the night in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Do you think it would be beneficial or just a waste of money? ???

What size inverter? Small ones cost as little as $40, but you'd pay a lot more than $700 for one that's rated 2,000W or higher. How old are the gel cell batteries?

Personally, I'd expect the inverter, batteries and associated wiring to be included in the price of the trailer unless specifically excluded. I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking them out of an RV I was selling.

If you just overnight occasionally without shore power, you don't need solar panels. However, a couple batteries and an inverter would be a plus.  How many batteries are standard equipment in this trailer?  Two would likely handle the occsional overnight stay and they can recharge at your next stop - or even while driving if you have a charge line from your tow vehcile to the trailer..

As Tom says, a small inverter that would power your TV sells for US$40-50 and is easy to install.  A larger one capable of running an electric cofee maker or toaster is a bit more,  around US$125, but needs more serious wiring. And a 1000 watt inverter can suck a pair of batteries dry in 20 minutes at full load.

What do new gel cell batteries cell for in your area?  CAN$700 sounds like it ought to buy 4-5 brand new ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom