A unique satellite dish... anyone with further info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

In the late 70's I worked briefly for a Satellite installation,service/sales business. They were doing some research on the side and played with a "wooden" dish. It was made out of wood slats, formed in a parabolic shape. It was about 3 meter in diameter with the LNB  mounted at the focal point. There was no metal used anywhere on the surfaces. Lo and behold... they actually received a usable signal,(which I witnessed), which blew my mind. I never did find out their technical theory of it, but seeing was believing.

Anyone here able to elaborate/add a bit on this?

carson FL 91.0F

Not sure what there is to elaborate.  Wood will have some reflective properties, certainly not as good as metal - but if you build the dish big enough it would be possible to get a signal...
Practical?  Probably not... Especially with warping and long term weather/heat/cold issues with wood.

Just for the record: There was no paint on the structure at all.

I doubt that there was any kind of sealer on it, as it was being worked on in a construction phase and was not totally finished. It looked like raw wood. It never did hit the point beyond a prototype.

Also, it was not a solid plane dish, but rather like a grid of slats. Maybe the engineers had too much time on their hands or they were very curious... But it did work.

carson FL

A wooden satellite dish sounds about as useful as a styrofoam anchor.

Back
Top Bottom