Power on our Sunseeker...how do we get it from the generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywoody

I am helping a friend (sorry I have a winnie)who is using a Sunseeker at the TX/OU game this weekend...GO TX!  He is having issues getting power in the RV.  It is a 2007 Sunseeker 31 ft model (Class C).  Any thoughts...he checked the breaker on the generator, good, breaker's in the RV good, is there a kill switch do you have to be plugged in some way???  Our Winnie is easy you just plug the plug into the generator and you are golden apparently not so w/ a sunseeker...Help our OU Friends please...

If there's no power at all in the RV and if he has an inverter, there will be one or more breakers on the side of the inverter. If no inverter, it could be a faulty transfer switch (switches between shore power and generator).

If only some receptacles are affected, it's probably a tripped GFI. Sometimes they put those GFIs in hard to find places.

There are a couple of ways you transfer between shore power and generator power. but the way you find the problem is the same in all cases

Method one is what you use with your Winnie.. You physically transfer the power plug from the park outlet, to your generator's outlet, this has the advantage of having a very very very low failure rate. (next to zero)

The other method is a Transfer Switch, can be manual however I may well have the only manual transfer switch in RV's :) (and it only deals with one circuit) Usually it's automatic

The trouble shooting procedure, as I said, is the same in all cases.. and that is follow the wire

I like test lamps better than volt meters.. The reason is two fold.. One is a joke (A song "Looking for the Light") the other practical.  With a test lamp you give it a glance, in fact you may not even need to look at it, to see "Yes, I see the light, I have power"  With a volt meter you actually have to LOOK at the thing, pay attention to it. Light is just easier.  I have both 12 volt and 120 volt testers.

Start at the generator output terminals.. Light good. Dark bad generator

Now follow the wire out to, ideally the Transfer switch (If you find an outlet you know what the problem is) And open the ATS box, check at the generator input to the ATS, check L1 to Neutral (30 and 50 amp) or L1 and L2 to neutral (50 amp) one at a time, if 50 amp do check both.  Light good, dark bad wire or you missed a connection.

Then the ATS output. Dark = bad ATS

Then at the main breaker Dark = bad wire or missed connection

Then on the breaker buss  Dark = bad or tripped main breaker

And so on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom