Do you use your roof rack???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wpflum

I've been working on the RV for a few months now, it's slow going what with 3 kids a wife with migraines and juggling keeping the house from falling apart and having to drive 20 minutes to get to my parents place to work on it.  Not to mention the 'lump' scare we had with my wife and the subsequent out patient surgery, a 'partial boobectomy' to remove said 'fatty mass'.  So far so good on that front she's a bit on the sore side but doing well. 

We moved the beast (the RV not my wife  ;D) out from the bay with the pit to another out building so my father could use the pit to work on a truck.  While I was backing into the new building I heard a bit of tearing and slammed the brakes on, got out and realized that the cargo/roof rack had hit the main ceiling beam and had pulled out a bit and gotten bent back.  Not a big deal since I'm redoing the roof anyway I figured I can unbend it and reattach it with bigger screws and cover the hole mount with eternabond before I recoat the roof. 

While I was thinking through the steps I'd need to repair it I had a thought, do I really need it anyway??  It's the tallest thing on the camper and if I'd just remove it when I redo the roof I could patch up the holes with tape and recoat and you'd never really know it was there and gain an inch or so less height. 

So I thought I'd ask to see if I'm missing a really GREAT reason to keep it on.

Anyone want to talk me out of this?? 

The RV is pretty high already so I can't see me wanting to put luggage up there making it even taller so why have it on at all.  I'm sure it must weight a bit so I'd lose the weight also.

The only thing I can think of that might make be consider keeping it is that since it is the tallest part of the RV it would hit most stuff first before the vent covers do but then again a vent cover would be easier to replace then if I had something like this happen again so it's 6 of one or half a dozen on another  ???

Bill

No--not in the 11 years I've had it. Only advantage is something to grab when climbing to roof when that is absolutely necessary.

High (meaning UP} weight is something I would avoid anyway.

Tweedy

Our first MH had a roof rack that we never used but the next MH and our current one never had a roof rack.  Personally I wouldn't bother putting it back on.

It may depend on how much other storage you have. Modern motorhomes have extensive basement storage, but the roof racks were popular when underneath storage was limited to smaller items. Think about what you plan to carry and where it will be stored.  Things I have seen on the roof rack storage include "blue boy" portable waste tanks (very common and handy if you have small waste tanks), spare tires, cargo trunks filled with who knows what, large lawn chairs, bicycles, inflatable boats, outboard motors, and suitcases.  If you are pretty sure you won't need the racks for somethoing like that, leave them off.

A consideration I made when removing mine was less wind resistance would result AND they could be easily reinstalled if needed. IMHO, I regularly use that tape and highly recommend it except for the adhesive color. I just don't know how it's surface would be for adhering a sealer too. I filled the holes  with a good caulk then made 6 inch round tape patches and applied. I have a fiberglass roof and no need to coat it. YET!! ::)

We have owned our motor home since 01. It came with a roof rack. Other than having to patch a hole where it became loose due to an encounter with an orange tree, it has beem OK. We never use it as we have good basement storage, (not all used).

It does serve as a sort of safety device or you might say comfort when I am on top of the rig.

Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom