Rear Axle Whine - Workhorse Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saparry01

Anybody having trouble with rear axle whine on their Class-A Workhorse Chassis ?   Well I am.   The noise is especially prominent between 55 & 65 MPH.  The vehicle only has 17K on it.  Its been at an authorized service center and Workhorse has been no help... even to the dealership attempting to do the repairs.  I have called them, written both e-mail and snail-mails letters to them and they basically refuse to get involved.   When I tried to get the Workhorse Parts department to give the dealer some assistance identifying what parts to order, they got very "testy" and asked "How did you get his number"... doesn't sound like great customer service.   

I am a 33-year GM employee who purposely bought a Workhorse Chassis because I could get a GM engine and transmission.  The dealership, where its been for the past 7 weeks attempting to be repaired, called this morning and said "they were trying something else." and furthermore, that a motorhome like mine came in today with an identical problem.  I have a 2005 Fleetwood Terra mdl.# 26Y on a 2004 Workhorse chassis.  It has a Dana M-80 rear axle with a 4.63 gear.  Dana is trying to help, but no success so far.   They are buying and installing all new parts for the rear axle at a cost so far of nearly $5000.  An entire axle would have been cheaper and much easier, but Workhorse and Dana do not offer a suitable replacement.

I would be anxious to hear from anyone having a similar problem.   My e-mail is "[email protected]"

Sorry to hear of this problem. What model Workhorse is it - a W20, W22 or a P-series?

We had a 2002 W22 and it had a tendency to leak at the seals on the ends of the axle (which Workhorse repaired under warranty), but never had a differential whine.

I too have a Workhorse. the rear end is ... Well.. Silent.

Are .. Well, yes, if they are doing over 5 grand in work on it they are sure it's differential whine, no questions there.

Back
Top Bottom