Slideout Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gcharte

During the summer I opened the slideouts to show off our motohome to some friends visiting from out of town. I did a visual around the MH and checked under the slideouts for some reason and found damage under the slideout on the galley side of our 2006 Fleetwood Storm it appears that a screw head was jammed in there and it tore the metal out in a straight line down to the wood. Any suggestions on the repair the damage is about eight inches long and a half inch wide. I was going to seal the wood with some wood sealer and then cover the tear with some sheet medal and caulk the edges. Do you think this would be OK or should we wait to get to Florida after the first of the year and have the dealer look at it at Lazy Days. We are in NY so it's not a trip around the corner.

Thanks,

Gary C    :-[

Gray,

Sorry that no one has offered a suggestion. I have no experience with anything of this nature. Hopefully someone that does will check in soon.

I suspect your solution is as good as anything the dealer would do and a heck of a lot cheaper.

The only thing I can add is that pop riveting the new sheet metal to the old might be something to consider. The rivet heads are close to flush which may be desirable.

Did the screw come out so it won't cause a repeat?

So the slide is made of wood and covered in a light sheet metal?  what holds that metal to the wood?
Did the metal sheet get completely removed?

If I was going to do it, I'd fill it with polyester resin mixed with sawdust or some other filler to thicken it.  Scrape to be flush with the wood prior to allowing it to harden.
Dyanglass (body filler - this is a combo of polyester resin, a filler material, and fiberglass for strength) would work also as a filler and tends to dry faster and be easier to work with.
Once sanded flush, I'd coat the entire area (paint on via brush or roller) in polyester resin.  It'll be safe from the elements and won't take on moisture.
Reapply sheet metal if necessary, although I think after coating it with resin, it'll be fine.

I like the wood filler idea.  How about adding a couple of photos of the damaged area?

Where on the slide is this damage? The outer skin isn't metal in a Storm but maybe the bay doors (if they move with the slide) and the underside are. The outer skin is some sort of fiberglass compound, most likely filon panels bonded together to make a smooth surface.

Without better info, I would opt for the auto body filler solution that dcg9381 suggested. It adheres well, sands smooth, has excellent integrity once dry and can be painted to match.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will also post a couple of pics as I have the slides out now. It appeared to be a drywall screw head was stuck inside underneath the slideout and got lodged and kept rubbing untill it peeled some sheeet metal off. The damage as I said in the original post is on the underside of the galley slide. Thanks again and I'll take some pics.

Gary

I'm trying to post pics but it says the files are to large I even tried one pic at a time. Any suggestions?

Gary

If you set your image size on the camera to VGA, you'll be ok. If you have it set larger, 1.2 M or 2.0M or larger, you may  have to reduce the size in your computer's imaging software to reduce the size.
For computer work, VGA or 1.2 max is best.. anything over that is overkill.. unless you want to produce poster size prints.

carson

There's a limit of 250kb per attachment. As others have said, resize your photos before uploading.

gcharte said:
I'm trying to post pics but it says the files are to large I even tried one pic at a time. Any suggestions?

Gary

Go HERE and download the microsoft windows power tool called image resizer.  Easy to use and allows you to resize your photos for posting.

Go HERE and download the microsoft windows power tool called image resizer.  Easy to use and allows you to resize your photos for posting.

Ron, your link for that tool is for Windows XP only.  If you have Windows Vista, you can resize photos with Picasa 3 (a great program BTW, and it's free).  Of course, if you happen to have Photoshop, you can resize photos there.

Thanks it now says the upload folder is full really not sure what to to I tried to resize twice.

Gary

rsalhus said:
Ron, your link for that tool is for Windows XP only.  If you have Windows Vista, you can resize photos with Picasa 3 (a great program BTW, and it's free).  Of course, if you happen to have Photoshop, you can resize photos there.

Just another reason I prefer XP. ;D

Back
Top Bottom