GFCI Keeps blowing HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyclerant

Ok this is bugging the heck out of me. My GFCI keeps blowing, but not always. I thought it was just due to increased load as things come on refer, TV etc etc. so reset and it blows reset blows. Then reset and it stays fine for hours days etc. Then out of nowhere it blows again. I have checked outlets on the rig all have solid correct connections. connections at the box seem fine.
Could it just be a faulty GFCI? This happens on Genset or plugged in to 50AMP

The unit in question is a Keystone Fuzion Toyhauler. It is under warranty and am trying to set up appointment to get it looked at but in the meantime I thought I would narrow it down as far as possible.
Ideas? Tests to run?

Thanks for your help.

Has it done this since you got the rig, or did it just start happening recently?  If it's always done it, it could be faulty wiring (someone wired it wrong from the factory).  If it just recently started doing it, it's probably a bad GFCI module.  Definitely get it fixed under warranty.  Should be an easy fix.

I had the same problem. The dealer found a faulty ground somewhere in the system. They also replaced the GFCI since it had tripped several times.

The GFI normally only operates a few outlets, not every appliance in the coach. Turn off all the breakers in the coach except for the one that powers the GFI. Make sure outlet has nothing plugged into it. If it still trips then replace the GFI.

First there are two devices people confuse all the time  GFCI and Circuit breaker.. They have two things in common

1: They are electrical devices
2: They can shut off power if they detect a condition they are designed to detect

A circuit breaker detects excess current.  And will trip if the current rating is exceeded (Too much load)

A GFCI detects ground faults, and will trip if a ground fault is detected. 

A GFCI is kind of like a teeter-totter  If the two kids on the teeter totter are exactly the same weight, the thing is balanced, but what happens if one kid is 50 pounds and the other is 100.. Answer the heavy end hits the ground, fast.

GFCI's work like this.  They monitor the relationship between the current in the HOT and NEUTRAL and if they are exactaly the same amperage (Weight) the unit is balanced.. but if one is heavier than the other the thing trips. 

However the GFCI does not care if it's 1 amp or 20 amps. it only cares if the two currents are balanced.

There are a few issues that can cause a GFCI to trip, trip, trip on a motor home or trailer,  Though I've only expierenced one of them (And that in a house, I should note three of them apply to a house) I have heard from folks who had all 3

1: Faulty GFCI.. Hey, it happens  (See note on a 4th optional problem)
2: Wire fault.. One poster had a hot to ground short in his rig.. That will trip a GFCI 100 percent of the time
3: Water in an outlet  (This is very common and the one I've experienced)
4: Floating ground (RV on inverter or generator, SOME GFCI's are not inverter friendly. You can check with XANTREX to find a list of ones they know work,, I have a Prosine 2.0.  Xantrex has tested with the following.

Leviton 6599/7-1 and 6598/722 (With polarity check and indicator light on the last one)

Eagle Shock Sentry, and GF15GY

Pass & Seymore 1591-WCN

Hubbell GF5252GYCN and GF252GYA

Bryant GFR52FTI and GFR82FTI

However I truly suspect the outdoor outlet on your rig.. Check it for cracks in the cover and evidence of water in the outlet.

A GFCI does not trip on an electrical overload - it trips when some of the current in the circuit is leaking to ground instead of returning on the normal path (the neutral wire).

Yes, it could be a faulty GFCI - they do wear out or just go bad. However, it may also be that you have an intermittent ground fault somewhere that causes it. Some appliance or device that turns on may be "leaking" a bit of current.

I'd try replacing the GFCI first and see what that does. If the problem persists, inquire here again and maybe we can help figure it out.

Thanks all I said the heck with it I am taking it in this weekend they can do it under warranty> I also want them to install my slide awnings and some vent covers so I'll get it done all at once.

Thanks again.

Cyclerant said:
Ok this is bugging the heck out of me. My GFCI keeps blowing, but not always. I thought it was just due to increased load as things come on refer, TV etc etc. so reset and it blows reset blows. Then reset and it stays fine for hours days etc. Then out of nowhere it blows again. I have checked outlets on the rig all have solid correct connections. connections at the box seem fine.
Could it just be a faulty GFCI? This happens on Genset or plugged in to 50AMP

Thanks for your help.

I had a different though similar situation...

While visiting my friends trailer park development in Ellijay Georgia, I plugged in my 30 amp demanded shore power line into his 20 amp GFCI protected outdoor receptacle. The GFCI repeatedly popped, the solution (for my rig) was to isolate the neutral from ground in my breaker box. I still have problems with my 2400iu Yammy generator refusing to power up my Xantrex RS2000 inverters 3 stage battery charger (charges fine on shore power)... ???

One place you might look is at the refrigerator outlet. I have a Keystone Montana and when I first got the rig I had the same problem. The refrigerator is plugged into an outlet that is accessible from the outside cover. The vent tube for the refrigerator on my unit was dripping water right onto the outlet which would cause the GFI to trip. 

Do you have a icemaker unit in the frig?  when the heating element goes bad this will triop the GFI:

he Neutral is SUPPOSED to be isolated from ground in a motor home or trailer.. The only place they should be common is at the fuse box or breaker box that comes immed after the meter, No place else.

This is an old topic, but I will comment on my GCFI blowing.  I found that my TrippLite surge protector for my computer created some kind of feedback that blew the GCFI circuit.  I phoned TrippLite, and they admitted that their products are not intended for GCFI circuits.  Unfortunately they don't put that on the outside of the box, so money was wasted.

A second cause was bad wiring at a campground power post.  Once I changed sites, the problem stopped.

--pat

I know this is an older topic but would like to share what I found with the same problem on my 2002 Alegro Bay.

The one kitchen wall outlet is a gfci outlet and was tripping varying times for no reason. Nothing needed to be plugged in for it to happen. After replacing the outlet with no change I started working the wiring and found a Jbox under the slide right next to the chasis. We had traveled all night in a very heavy rainstorm and that should not have mattered as the j box is a weather proof box right??

Wrong I took the cover off of that box and whalla, a box full of water dumped out.. It had been forced in because of the high wind and traveling but was still water tight enough that it could not drip out.. The exterior of the box was high and dry I wiped it out and boom trip no more. was a great learning lesson and now has a much better seal on the the leads going in and through and the cover plate.

Rick

My son is a master electrician.  He tells me that if a GFCI has tripped 12 times total, it must be replaced.
I asked "Since manufacturers say to manually test them once a month, that means you would have to replace them annually?"
He said "Yes, twelve times is the maximum they are rated for."

I had a problem at a campground (Corps of Engineers) where my little circuit checker showed OK most of the time, but tripped the GFCI immediately.
I replaced GFCI, and reported site to host.  Next time we camped in that site, it was OK.

Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom