Updated Travel Alert Issued for Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting the update Richard.  Unfortunately there will still be some folks that ignore the warnings, bury their heads in the sand, and end up among the unfortunate.

As a Brit who is more than happy to spend some of his time in the USA I have never understood the attraction of crossing the border into South America.  Times many on our travels we were asked if we were going into Mexico and times many I gave the same answer - no way, we've come to see the USA.

At the risk of seeming sycophantic, the USA has everything we want to see and experience.  Mexico?  No, gracias se?or!  ;) :D ;D

Keith

At the risk of seeming sycophantic

Hey boyo, don't use such big words; Makes it tough for some of us to understand  ;D

Keith,

When folks use big words, I first have to translate to Welsh, then look up the meaning in a Welsh dictionary  :(

Tom said:
Keith,

When folks use big words, I first have to translate to Welsh, then look up the meaning in a Welsh dictionary  :(

Here and I thought it was the short words that Welsh had problems with.

macmac said:
As a Brit who is more than happy to spend some of his time in the USA I have never understood the attraction of crossing the border into South America.

Quibble:  Actually Mexico is a charter member of North America.   South America does not start until Panama ends.   

As to going there, Mexico is a unique and fascinating culture.    It is Spanish but more so it is American Indian.   It has a deep artistic culture in both the graphic arts and in music.   Its cuisine varies north to south as widely as European cuisine does.   The landscape is spectacular and in Teotihuac?n and the Mayan ruins it posesses some of the most magnificent high neolithic ruins in the world, the equal of the pharonic ruins of Egypt.   

And it is as foreign to Europeans as the USA will never be.   Fascinating place.

All that said, the poor country is going thru a really bad patch, particularly near the US border, because of the drug trade, a nasty, brutal business anywhere in the world. 

Here and I thought it was the short words that Welsh had problems with.

Correction - short Welsh words. Long English words are kinda foreign  ;D

Keith,

If you haven't already done so, take a look at Betty Brewer's report of her and husband Terry's Yucatan Peninsula trip and Jeff & Sue Cousins' Copper Canyon trip. These reports, along with their attached photos, provide excellent examples of what you're missing by not crossing the southern border

Tom said:
Keith,

If you haven't already done so, take a look at Betty Brewer's report of her and husband Terry's Yucatan Peninsula trip and Jeff & Sue Cousins' Copper Canyon trip. These reports, along with their attached photos, provide excellent examples of what you're missing by not crossing the southern border

I've seen these before, thanks.  Perhaps one day we might want to try them, one day...

For the moment I'm fine with our primary destination choice and looking forward to getting back in just under a month - INS permitting as always.

Keith

Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, Tijuana, and along Route 15 between Nogales and Hermosillo.

This is the key sentence in the Consulate's alert.  I hope our citizens pay attention to it.  One of the incidents reported the other day was banditos who went into a bar and started mowing down its customers.  That's indiscriminate crime that targets everyone, regardless of citizenship.

ArdraF

macmac said:
At the risk of seeming sycophantic, the USA has everything we want to see and experience.  Mexico?  No, gracias se?or!  ;) :D ;D

Keith
Keith - I live in Texas.  I've been here almost all my lilfe.
It is certainly true that there are particular border towns that are headed towards lawlessness due to drug traffic, but this is not the norm.  Those places - like Juarez - I avoid completely.  There are smaller and more reasonable border towns that are quite nice to visit.  Many things are less expensive over there and the culture is entirely different.  You'd think it was another country (well, it is..)

If you're going to a border town - check to see that it's relatively safe.  I do not drive into border towns, period.  End of story.  Catch a cab or walk.  The part of the town that you want to see will be within walking distance.

True trips to interior Mexico are in a different class of travel.. I personally wouldn't attempt them without a native spanish speaker or a local, but I have relatives that have done motorcycle trips and other trips out to remote and rural Mexico with great success.  The violence is associated with the drug trade - most of it is at the border.

Back
Top Bottom