Sportsmobile Penthouse Raised Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

My Wife and I are considering remodeling our camping van.  We have a 2000 Chevrolet Extended Van (see picture Library - Conversions and Remodels for pictures of it) and think we want to add a Sportsmobile Penthouse roof.  See attached photo for how they look.  The picture is of a regular Chev. van and not the extended.

They cost about $5k installed (I think).  Looking for people who have long term experience with them.  How is the wind and road noise while driving?  Have you had any water leaks with this type of roof?  Have you been happy with it and Sportsmobile workmanship?

Attachments

• Sportsmobile Penthouse Roof.jpg
    Sportsmobile Penthouse Roof.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 236
Jo and Len,

Many years ago we purchased a Sportsmobile brand new with all of the  custom features we requested.  We loved the rig.  It did not leak and it got many  tests with rain.  The top  did not make noise when driving down the road.  But sometimes at night if the wind blew very hard, we opted to  close the lid and sleep below.  Those Anza Borrego winds  can  be fierce.

Alan was part owner out of Fresno, California.  He had a plant in  midwest someplace as well.  Very honest , personable, reputable.  We have fond memories every time we see a Sportsmobile on the road.  We liked the Quality of the product they freatured.  Now it has been 0ver  13 years since we dealt with them but we have spoken to Alan at each FMCA Show where he displays and he always seems to be a nice guy!  I always look at his rigs as a potential one day to downsize.

Betty

Thanks for the first hand feedback Betty.  The gentleman who owns the one I posted feels the same as you do.  He did a lot of the inside work (and design) himself but had them install the top.  This was the 4th 'B' he has built over the years, so he also should know what he is talking about.  I believe his is a 1997 van and has 130,000 miles on it.

Sportsmobile's web site gives the impression that they are a "can do" group of people.  They have a plant in Indiana and we want to go down there and see how they are built and see some samples.

Well we are going to visit the Sportsmobile factory in Indiana on Tuesday morning.  We are taking our van with to see how much 'stuff' I have to remove it for them to install a penthouse and to tour the plant.  I really think I know the answer- -  most everything.  My main problem will be remembering how I installed cabinets, wiring, paneling, etc. and taking it all out in reverse order.  We have two things to think about besides if we want to do it:

1.  Penthouse roof color.  Van dark green or leave it white?  Green is a "better" match of course but white would be cooler in the summer.
2.  Maybe also add a swivel seat base on passenger side.  Have a 4" walkway between the seat and the center console but not sure if that is enough room to swivel the seat.  Can modify the console if needed of course.

We plan to lot of photos and will post when we get back.

Well we took a two day road trip that included a stop at the Huntington, Indiana Sportsmobile plant and up to Shipshewana, Indiana in Amish country.  There are several quilting stores in Shipshewana.  Lots of wind and blowing snow on the second day.  Home now and am writing thins in front of a nice warm fire.

Below or pictures of our short travels.  First few of the Sportsmobile plant and the last of Shipshewana area.

PS:  If you keep your mouse arrow on the thumbnail for a couple of seconds the photo caption will pop up.

Attachments

• 01s Sportsmobile.jpg
    01s Sportsmobile.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 02s Chev EB.jpg
    02s Chev EB.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 03s Chev EB.jpg
    03s Chev EB.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 04s Chev EB Side Rail.jpg
    04s Chev EB Side Rail.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 05s Chev EB Rail FRT.jpg
    05s Chev EB Rail FRT.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 06s Chev EB Rail RR.jpg
    06s Chev EB Rail RR.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 07s Fixed Roof.jpg
    07s Fixed Roof.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 08s Fixed Roof.jpg
    08s Fixed Roof.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 09s Used RB.jpg
    09s Used RB.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 10s Used RB.jpg
    10s Used RB.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 182
This set is of the Shipshewana, Indiana area.  Shipshewana is 60 miles north of Huntington Indiana and was on our way home.  There was a strong steady wind out of the west but as long as we drove 35-45ish we had no problems with our van.

Attachments

• 11s Indiana 5 North.jpg
    11s Indiana 5 North.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 12s Amish Transport.jpg
    12s Amish Transport.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 13s Shipshewana Store.jpg
    13s Shipshewana Store.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 98
  • 14s Shipshewana Store.jpg
    14s Shipshewana Store.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 15s Shipshewana Color.jpg
    15s Shipshewana Color.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 16s Shipshewana Patterns.jpg
    16s Shipshewana Patterns.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 17s On Road Again.jpg
    17s On Road Again.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 18s On Road Again.jpg
    18s On Road Again.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 87
Looks a though Shipshewana has more cotton along the roads than we do here at Sam's Camp. ;D

Sam recognized the Yoders Quilt shop.  She has been there more than just once or twice.

Ron,

The photo's are of Lollys Quilt shop.  We also went to Yoder Department Store.  Jo bought a bunch of fabric at Yoder for a "mystery quilt" she will be working on with her quilt group.  I liked Yoder's myself, the hardware section had some good tools and stuff.  Never saw a gasoline powered (heated) clothes iron before.  Similar plumbing as a Colman lantern but built into an clothes iron.  Several clever items for people who do not have electricity.

This was our first trip to Shipshewana.  Joanne just HAD to go there and it was fun.  Will go back when we have more time and the weather is nicer.

Might be that Sam got her quilt shops mixed up. ;D  We have always enjoyed visiting Shipshewana too.  They do have some interesting things at Yoders.  Best Beef jerky we have had came from Shipsewana.

Oh, BRRRR!  It looks cold....  But I love the two photos of the horse-drawn buggies.  So very Amish!  Also very picturesque.

ArdraF

We were just there in Shipshewana in August.  I grew up on a poor dirt farm just a hundred miles or so, southwest of there.  We weren't Amish, but lived so far back in the hills that I recognized many of the items in Yoders hardware department.  My grandmother and mother had a gas powered Maytag ringer washing machine that they shared and Grandma had flat irons that she heated on the wood burning stove to do her ironing, but Mom had the gas powered model that you mentioned. 

I've turned many of those old cream separators, that they sell there, by hand, after milking 8 or 10 cows, morning and night.  I'll spare you the five mile uphill walks to and from school ;D  That weather sure did look familiar though.

Well we ordered the penthouse top yesterday.  Will have it installed in mid March.  Going down to Haiti in early March so I better get the van stripped prior to Haiti trip.  Just in case I get a bug.  ;D ;D ;D

We will build our own bed for the penthouse.

I also ask about getting a swivel base installed under the passenger.  They seem reluctant to want to do that. :-\ :-\

Len and Jo said:
Well we are going to visit the Sportsmobile factory in Indiana on Tuesday morning.  We are taking our van with to see how much 'stuff' I have to remove it for them to install a penthouse and to tour the plant.  I really think I know the answer- -  most everything.  My main problem will be remembering how I installed cabinets, wiring, paneling, etc. and taking it all out in reverse order.  We have two things to think about besides if we want to do it:

1.  Penthouse roof color.  Van dark green or leave it white?  Green is a "better" match of course but white would be cooler in the summer.
2.  Maybe also add a swivel seat base on passenger side.  Have a 4" walkway between the seat and the center console but not sure if that is enough room to swivel the seat.  Can modify the console if needed of course.

We plan to lot of photos and will post when we get back.

Not a big fan of taking a virtual can opener to the roof of a perfectly structured/street reliable van. JMHO Jack

Len and Jo said:
Well we ordered the penthouse top yesterday.  Will have it installed in mid March.  Going down to Haiti in early March so I better get the van stripped prior to Haiti trip.  Just in case I get a bug.  ;D ;D ;D

We will build our own bed for the penthouse.

I also ask about getting a swivel base installed under the passenger.  They seem reluctant to want to do that. :-\ :-\
What ever happened with this? Is it done? Are thier any pics?  

We drop of the van on March 24th and the job is completed on the 25th.  WE WILL HAVE PICTURES!  I still have to get out and "gut" the van.  Temperatures are expected to be up in the 50's and 60's by this week end.  So I have to get started.

Hey if I would have payed more attention to what I was reading I would have saw right sorry about the stupid question. I look forward to seeing the pics.

No problem.  I started today stripping the interior of anything that is attached to the ceiling.  I need to have the ceiling area clean so Sportmobile can cut it out and install the penthouse.  Below are some before and after photos of todays activity.  You can now see the foam insulation that I had sprayed in the van.  I have the two remaining aft walls, drivers side overhead storage, and front ceiling panel to take out yet.  Will post more as I progress further.  I want to have it all stripped by Thursday.

Attachments

• 2s Bath and Hanging Closet.JPG
    2s Bath and Hanging Closet.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 2s RR Walls Gone.jpg
    2s RR Walls Gone.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 3 Ceiling and Storage.jpg
    3 Ceiling and Storage.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 3 Ceiling Foam Insulation.jpg
    3 Ceiling Foam Insulation.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 170
Big job, Len, but it looks as though you made a good start.  Then another big job to put it back together again.  I'm guessing there will be some design changes to accommodate the pop-up roof.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom