Too much biocide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The fuel fillers on our coach aren't really conducive to filling, thanks to their very shallow angle. When I tried to add biocide before putting the coach in storage after the last trip, it was tough to get the stuff into and down the fill pipe. I really should have used a "bent" funnel, but tried to "chuck" it down the fill pipe. Instead of the measured amount I was going to add, I inadvertently added 3 times as much. Presumably this can't do any harm  ???

Tom,

I can't answer the question about the biocide, but I can offer you a suggestion for a contraption I use to safely and accurately dispense additives to my fuel tank.? Being the cheap tightwad I am, this contraption costs very little, if anything.

There are two? optiions:

If you have ever bought differential oil in a quart, chances are it came with a pointed spout.
If you or someone you know uses Clairol hair dye products, you know one of the ingredients is dispensed from a plastic bottle with a pointed spout.

So using one of these bottles with a pointed spout, if you get some flexible plastic tubing to fit over the pointed spout, you can prefill tthe bottle with the desired amount of additive and safely dispense the liquid into the target.

I use one of these to fill the deep cycle batteries in the coach with distilled water.....obviously not the same dispenser as I use for fuel additive.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Steve, great idea. I normally use a bent funnel that works OK, and the biocide container has a graduated scale on the side, so I know how much I've dispensed. I was just being lazy that day and didn't go look for the funnel.

Just a follow up on this discussion. We've refilled numerous tankloads of fuel since I "overfilled" with biocide, and to date I haven't seen any detrimental effects. Worst case, I assume it killed off additional bacteria which might have clogged up the fuel filters, but I've changed the fuel filters since then.

Back
Top Bottom