Winterizeing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marine422

I have a question concerning winterizing my TT. I live in NC so it's not as cold as NY was but still gets below freezing, Do I need to run antifreeze through the lines or can I blow out the lines( through the drains) and empty the reserve in the hot water ? Will this be sufficient enough or should I put in the antifreeze?

Thanks , any advice would be appreciative.

Brett

Most RV dealerships winterize there inventory as you plan to do, as do many RVers.  The risk is that some water may be trapped in a dip in a water line somewhere and if there is enough of it some damage could still occur.  One suggestion to prevent this is to blow out the line (don't need a lot of pressure - just push it along) and then shut the air down for a minute or two to let any trapped water fall to a low spot. Then turn the air on again so that accumulated water can also blow out. I haven't done that, but it sounds reasonable.

You don't just blow through the drains - open each water faucet one by one to blow out the water in the branch lines too.

Don't forget the ice maker, washer, outside shower, toilet flush lines, etc. if you have them. And pour some antifreeze in the traps in the sink and shower drain lines.

Along this line...we live in VA and we usually winterize with the antifreeze, but I just read somewhere that you should pour some into the toilet bowl for the valve. We've never done this, only added antifreeze to the p-traps and the holding tanks, in addition to running it through the lines. We just always thought that since there was no water remaining in the toilet bowl, there didn't need to be anti-freeze in it. I've been afraid that it will stain the toilet bowl after sitting for so long. Having we been doing this wrong? Will it stain, and if so, is there an easy way to remove the stain?
Thanks, LuAnn

Being in NY, we winterize & usually by early November.  As mentioned, our method is the same drain the lines, blow out the water thru the drains and faucets, then add antifreeze.  Adding antifreeze to the toilet does not stain it or the sinks when pouring it down the drains.  Any dried residue easily cleans up in the spring. 

Make sure you use the NON-TOXIC RV & Marine kind of antifreeze.  We have seen no difference between the alcohol or Propylene Glycol kinds

I did as you guys said , That's how I winterized my pop-up in NY when I had it, blew the lines, when I blew the sink faucet water came out of the bathroom. I believe I got all the water in the lines, drains and toilet, I also blew out the tanks.

I closed up the tanks, and poured some RV antifreeze in the three drains , and some in the toilet. Do I need to drain the hot water tank and if so how?  I believe I need to remove the large nut and let it drain , but just want to be sure.

Thanks again for your help.

My father has always reccomended pouring a cup of something like Wesson cooking oil into the toilet and letting it sit there during the winter. It's supposed to help prevent the rubber seal from drying out.

I just winterized my trailer last weekend and I totally forgot to open the outside shower faucet ( we never use it ). Thanks for reminding me !!

marine422 said:
I believe I need to remove the large nut and let it drain , but just want to be sure.

Yes, the large nut is connected to the anode rod.  If you have a hot water bypass, bypass the water heater first, then unscrew the anode to drain the hot water tank.  BTW, you might want to stand to the side.  :)

-Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom