This one's for the birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Every spring the swallows arrive and make their nests under our deck and under the ramp down to the dock. For the next several months (through late September/early October) our boats get inundated with bird poop. I'll look out the window and see several families lined up on the rails, all with their butts facing inboard. That bird poop can really stain gel coat.

We've experimented with all kinds of anti-bird tricks over the years, but settled on the system shown in the first attached photo. I attach a number of plastic spring clamps to the rails and string 50-60 lbs test monofilament between the clamps. If kept taught, the birds won't land, and therefore don't line up to poop. With 300 feet of rail, it takes a lot of clamps and monofilament. However, this isn't foolproof; The birds finally send in a kamikaze pilot to land on the monofilament and hold it down while the others land safely.

A friend, neighbor and forum member has taken this one step further. As seen in the second photo, he fabrcated metal clamps through which he strings galvanized wire. It seems to work more reliably than the monofilament but it's a real PITA trying to unravel all that galvanized wire and clamps. As I told him when I once put up the system on his boat, this is for the birds.

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 67
  • birds2.jpg
    birds2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 67
Tom,

I have a Davis Weather Station. In last months newsletter a guy was having problems with birds sitting on the edge of the rain collector and pooping in it. Naturally the poop clogs up the rain gauge. His solution was to put some Christmas garland like this around the top. After reading that I remember seeing a building with it on some window ledges and now I know why.

Here is another site that has bird deterrents.

Thanks Don. We've previously tried the garland and bunting, but they didn't work for us; The birds get over the visual effect pretty quickly and aren't afraid to land on it. The spikes are a real solution but, with 300 feet of rail and the fact that the spikes come in short sections, it was both a daunting and expensive solution.

A friend came to our house by boat recently and, being the hosts we are, Chris and I helped them berth. When they got off the boat I asked "what's this greasy stuff on my hands?", and they explained that they smear Vaseline on the rails. Their theory was that, if birds landed on it, they'd roll 180 degrees and fall off. Now that's definitely for the birds!

Tom said:
....they explained that they smear Vaseline on the rails. Their theory was that, if birds landed on it, they'd roll 180 degrees and fall off. Now that's definitely for the birds!

Good theory. Did he say if it worked or not?

He didn't say Don, but I wasn't a happy camper having all that dirty Vaseline on my hands. We're surrounded by farms that are being continually ploughed. That peat dirt/dust gets carried by the Delta breezes, and you can imagine it getting hung up on anything greasy.

LOL Don, then they'll match the brown boat, dock and decks  ;D

I recently washed our coach for the first time in several months, and there must have been 1/2 inch of dirt on the roof.

We don't have much of a problem with birds here at Sam's camp but its the deer and cats that are a problem.  I hate it when people turn their cats loose to run the neighborhood. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom