Mini Rally in Savannah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
This morning, the Brincks, Dicks, Reiters, and Weimarts met at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum for a tour of the museum.  The Eighth Air Force was the primary air power in Europe in World War II, with 350,000 men participating.  The museum starts with a short lecture in a briefing room, then moves on with several short movies, and finishes with a multi-media presentation of a bombing raid over Germany as seen from a gunner on one of the bombers.  The many displays, model aircraft, and full size aircraft on display require several hours to fully enjoy.  There is a display dedicated to the POWs from WW II including a short movie with actual footage from Europe during the war.

Outside, there are several aircraft on display and a chapel (see photos below).  The final display was on the WASP core, the women pilots that served in WW II.

After the museum tour, all returned to Whispering Pines RV Park for cocktails and conversation.

The others will have more photos to add, I'm sure.

Attachments

• The Museum Entrance.JPG
    The Museum Entrance.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Part of the entrance with all the state flags..JPG
    Part of the entrance with all the state flags..JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 43
  • One of the many models.JPG
    One of the many models.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 46
  • Jeep Pup.JPG
    Jeep Pup.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Chapel.JPG
    Chapel.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Stain glass windows in the chapel'.JPG
    Stain glass windows in the chapel'.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 39
  • B-47 Stratojet.JPG
    B-47 Stratojet.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
  • MiG-17A.JPG
    MiG-17A.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 45
  • F-4 Phantom.JPG
    F-4 Phantom.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Barb, Frank, Nancy, Gary, Pat, Jim, Ned.JPG
    Barb, Frank, Nancy, Gary, Pat, Jim, Ned.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 55
Small world... I live just about 5 miles as the crow flies ;D. I wish could be there and meet you folks, but work has other plans for me :(.
Have a blast y'all. If I might suggest, there a couple things to see in Savannah, Fort Pulaski, Fort Jackson, Savannah Squares etc. Enjoy your stay in Savannah.

We're up in Ottawa visiting grandkids, and their parents, and it SNOWED today.  Wish we were there with you, but we don't leave for Florida for another month and a bit.  Can't affod to spend any more time in the US as the Canadian dollar dropped to below 80 cents today, that over 15 cents in 3 weeks, so the reduced cost of diesel will be lost in the exchange, oh well can't win for losing.
    Great pictures Ned, thanks for sharing.

BronkeR, we've been in Savannah since last Friday and we've done our sightseeing.  This isn't our first visit here, so we've seen pretty much everything we wanted to.  If you check the link in my signature, you can see where we are at any time and could have joined us, even if you're a Bear fan :)  Tomorrow we leave for the SE Rally.

Ed, glad you enjoyed the photos.  I'm sure that the others have some even better photos.  Sorry about the bad exchange rate, but you really should get out of the snow :)

Ned said:
.....There is a display dedicated to the POWs from WW II including a short movie with actual footage from Europe during the war.

And they are still looking for MIA and KIA from WWII. Here is a news release I got through my retirees newsletter.

They buried Lieutenant Packard's remains yesterday here in Prescott, AZ.

WASHINGTON (AFRNS) ? Officials from the Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office announced Oct. 21 that the remains of a U.S. serviceman, missing in action from World War II, have been identified.

Second Lt. Ray D. Packard, U.S. Army Air Forces, of Atwood, Calif., will be returned to his family for burial with full military honors Oct. 22 in Prescott, Ariz. 

On Aug. 25, 1944, Lieutenant Packard was a pilot in a flight of 22 P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft that left the allied airfield at St. Lambert, France, to attack enemy airfields near Laon-Chambry, France.  En route to their target, the fighter group was intercepted by more than 80 German fighters near Beauvais, France.  During the ensuing dogfight, 11 P-38s were shot down, including Lieutenant Packard's which crashed 15 miles south of Beauvais near the town of Angy.  Five of the pilots escaped and evaded enemy capture and two were taken as prisoners of war.  Of the four men who were missing in action, three were later recovered and identified, but Lieutenant Packard remained unaccounted-for. 

In 1951, a U.S. Army Graves Registration Command team investigated the incident and interviewed a French citizen who said he recovered human remains from a P-38 crash site in Angy.  The team also interviewed the mayor of Angy who said that the remains had been buried in a local cemetery, but had later been exhumed and he did not know what happened after the disinterment.  The team went to the crash site, but only found small pieces of aircraft wreckage.

In 2006, a Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command team traveled to Angy to investigate the incident.  The team interviewed the son of the French citizen interviewed in 1951.  He turned over to the team human remains and other non-biological evidence recovered from the crash site.  The team interviewed another French citizen, an aircraft wreckage hunter, who turned over remains and other evidence from an excavation that he conducted at the site.

In 2006 and 2007, JPAC teams conducted two excavations and recovered more human remains, aircraft wreckage, and material evidence including Lieutenant Packard's identification tag.

Among other forensic identification tools and circumstantial evidence, scientists from JPAC used dental comparisons in the identification of Lieutenant Packard's remains.

For additional information on the Defense Department's mission to account for missing Americans, visit the DPMO's Web site or call (703) 699-1169.  (Courtesy of DoD News) 

Hfx_Cdn said:
    We're up in Ottawa visiting grandkids, and their parents, and it SNOWED today.  Wish we were there with you, but we don't leave for Florida for another month and a bit.  Can't affod to spend any more time in the US as the Canadian dollar dropped to below 80 cents today, that over 15 cents in 3 weeks, so the reduced cost of diesel will be lost in the exchange, oh well can't win for losing.
    Great pictures Ned, thanks for sharing.

Where will you stay in Florida? We will be in Titusville for the winter. If you are close maybe we could get together!

Now I have some ideas on what to do while we're there the week after Christmas. I'll be our first ever trip in the new MH so we're really looking foreword to it. We'll be staying at the Skidaway Island State Park until the 31st when we relocate to the Isle of Palm for a couple of days on our way back north

Thanks for the post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom