Taking a pet from Canada to US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

We have traveled to the US in our 5th wheel a few times, but have never taken our small dog on a trip to the US from Canada.  Are there restrictions that we should know about?

Thanks.

Frank.

Yes, there are restrictions.  You will need to check the US Customs requirements for the most recent reqirements.  When we traveled from the US to Canada we had our 2 cats and a dog with us.  We carried a folder with a current health certificate and a copy of proof of Rabies vaccination for each animal from our Vet.  They didn't ask to see the information going into Canada; but they asked for it coming back into the US.

One thing I noticed when we crossed the border is that Canada required our cats to have the rabies vaccination to enter the country; whereas the US did not require the cats to have the rabies vaccination.   

I would get the latest information so that you are up to date, just do an internet search for US Customs.

Marsha~

Current shot records - rabies mandatory. Also get a "certificate of good health" from your vet (friends needed this taking their dog into Mexico).

I would also have the dog microchipped if it's not already and put your cell # and a friend or relative # on an ID tag.

Wendy

When we crossed into Canada the Health Certificate had to be within the last year.  So if you are planning on staying in the US for a period of time, you might want to get a Health Certificate just before you leave Canada; that way you will have a year to work with and not have to get another one while here.

Marsha~

Thanks, all.  Guess we'll check with the vet before we go just in case.  She's had all her shots, but I guess we better find the paperwork.

Frank.

Good luck, Frank.  We found that our vet did not know the requirements for crossing into Canada.  Hopefully your vet is much more informed.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom