Valve Stem Extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockybranch

I'm seeking advice on valve stem extensions that will work on the dual wheels of a Gulfstream BT Cruiser (Ford chasis with 16" rims).? I can't get a pressure gauge or air hose on the stock stems even after removing the wheel covers.? Any specific advice (brand, length, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

I can not recommend any of them, There was a thread here a long time ago (long time = more than a month, in this case I think about a year, and possibly on the "old" forum) about them and the problems they can cause.

As for a pressure guage... I use Pressure Pro sensors.  They mount "permently" on the valve stems in place of the existing camp. And remote read from the dash.  So you can read the tire presure at 60mph if you wish

If the inner stems are straight, you can get solid extensions of different lengths to bring them out to where you can access them.  Don't use any longer than necessary.  Mine have rubber plugs for the holes to keep vibration down.  I wouldn't use any flexible extensions but I've had the solid ones for several years with only one problem.  That was probably of my own doing and a replacement was easy to install.  Any tire store will either stock them or be able to order them for you.  Be sure to use metal caps with the o-rings as the cap is the real seal for the valve stem, not the valve itself.

I believe your dual wheels are steel rims, which would preclude the use of solid extensions.  Solid extensions can be used when there is a corresponding hole 180 degrees from the valve, as you would find on aluminum (Alcoa) rims.

In your case, with steel rims, the best and most economical solution would be good quality flexible extensions, with stainless steel outer protective sheath.  These are sold at Camping World and other RV supply stores.  If a choice is available, go for the better quality.

Proper installation is important, to prevent any vibration of the extenders which could loosen the valve itself.  Of a rigid valve can be installed on the rim to replace the original rubber valve, the risk of vibration causing a leak can be minimized.

Remote pressure sensors are a more expensive alternative, but correctly installed flexible extenders are used by many RVers with success.

Personnally I would use extensions of any kind and espeacially flexible type.  Have you tried a different chuck?  There are more than one type.  I use the straight chuck that has a angled chuck about one inch from the straight chuck, (see attached photo).

I use a 8 inch piece of fuel line to slip over the valve cap and remove it and reinstall it. The chuck shown on the air gauge allows reaching in and checking air pressure.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN2434 (Large).JPG
    DSCN2434 (Large).JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 32
rockybranch said:
I'm seeking advice on valve stem extensions that will work on the dual wheels of a Gulfstream BT Cruiser (Ford chasis with 16" rims).  I can't get a pressure gauge or air hose on the stock stems even after removing the wheel covers.  Any specific advice (brand, length, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

If you decide to add valve stem extensions be sure the existing valve stems are steel. DO NOT install them on rubber valve stems. You will most likely have a failure at some time. I install them on many coaches and use the steel jacketed extensions. My coach has aluminum wheels and they used solid steel extensions, which I prefer.

After developing a leak in one valve extension, I struggled with most of the options and alternatives mentioned to valve stem extensions, including the rubber piece to remove the inner wheel valve caps.  By the time I got the extended, bent gauge seated correctly on the inner, very hidden valve, I would have let all the air out of the tire and probably broken the valve.  I tried quite a few times and gave up.  I never did get the rubber tube punched onto the valve cap to remove it.  Might as well be doing microsurgery without the TV. 

My motorhome came with the steel mesh covered valve stem extensions.  They can be bent and attached to clips that attach to the outside of the wheel rim.  The replacemet extension and the other three originals are holding up.  None of the valves has been damaged by the extensions.  Even these mesh covered extensions are expensive (sometimes $75) for a set, but for me it was the difference between spending hours trying to get air in the tires or finding someone else to do it.  One thing about the generic sets from CampingWorld or other suppliers is that you need make sure that they come with clips to hold the stems to the outside wheels that actually work with your outside wheel rims.  I was lucky in that I had existing clips. 

>>My one fear is that I will forget to disengage it before towing. <<

I have used "Cat Eyes" & now Crossfires for the last 10 years on my class A's with no problems & can recommend either one of them.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Are there steel valves available for 16 inch rims?  All the ones I have seen are made for much larger, i.e. truck sized tires.

My Workhorse motohome chassis comes with steel jacketed extensions on the rear duals (22.5 inch wheels) and they have performed flawlessly for 3.5 years now.  They are held in place by the lug nuts, so they aren't going anywhere.  I added aftermarket extensions to the front tires becasue I couldn't monitor or air them without removing the wheel covers.

The only problem I have had with the aftermarket flex extensions is keeping the outside end properly anchored.  Some of the aftermarket models use a spring steel mount to fit into a wheel liner opening.  They are a one size fits all mount that did not fit two of my rigs very well, allowing the end of the extension to break loose now and then. Once that resulted in damage to the extension and once it cost me a pressure sensor that was screwed onto the extension.  Now I have made my own mounts and riveted them to the wheel cover.

RV Roamer said:
Are there steel valves available for 16 inch rims?  All the ones I have seen are made for much larger, i.e. truck sized tires.

My Workhorse motohome chassis comes with steel jacketed extensions on the rear duals (22.5 inch wheels) and they have performed flawlessly for 3.5 years now.  They are held in place by the lug nuts, so they aren't going anywhere.  I added aftermarket extensions to the front tires becasue I couldn't monitor or air them without removing the wheel covers.

The only problem I have had with the aftermarket flex extensions is keeping the outside end properly anchored.  Some of the aftermarket models use a spring steel mount to fit into a wheel liner opening.  They are a one size fits all mount that did not fit two of my rigs very well, allowing the end of the extension to break loose now and then. Once that resulted in damage to the extension and once it cost me a pressure sensor that was screwed onto the extension.  Now I have made my own mounts and riveted them to the wheel cover.

Gary,

Don't know if they are available for 16" rims or not. What we put on at the shop are the same as you have but the mount is an L bracket that is riveted to the center cap. Springs just don't work well at all as you found out.

Our previous coach had 16 inch wheels (Ford chassis) and I asked about steel valves at two different places and one said they didn't have any that small and the other said "we don't use them on car tires" (even though it was a 20,000 lb motorhome).  However, I did not have a great deal of confidence in the guys who told us that - both had a "don't bother me" attitude.

For the current Workhorse chassis front wheels, I made brackets from a piece of aluminum flat bar and riveted them to the wheel cover. No more floppy extensions!

RV Roamer said:

Gary

I replaced the tires on the XTerra the same time I first installed my PressurePro sensors and Discount Tire, chain based in Phoenix, installed steel valve stems at my request. The rims are 16".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom