Mercedes towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benmack1

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here.  I am a vintage Mercedes lover and a motorhome lover.  So my wife wrecked the previous towable we had and now I need to get something I can tow.  I'm looking for a manual transmission Mercedes 240D to satisfy my collectors urge.  Anyway, are the above compatible.  Can I tow a MD 240D that has a manual trans.  For that matter can a vintage MB 300D or 240D with an auto be towed?  Thanks for anyone who has experience with these old cars.

Contact the folks at Remco; They're the towing experts and will be able to give you a definitive answer.

I don't thnk that Remco is talking to consumers any more - you might have to go through a dealer.

The main question is how  240D lubricates its transmission. If it relies on a pump from the engine side, it cannot be towed. Most stick shifts do not, but "most" is not "all".

I don't thnk that Remco is talking to consumers any more - you might have to go through a dealer.

They no longer have the vehicle application chart on their web site, but the link goes to an email form inviting folks to send them a message. Might be time for me to call them again.

Thanks for the comments.  I did some searching of the forum since I posted and found a couple threads on the old mercedes towing.  So it wasn't clear on the tranny question but what seemed more problematic initially was finding a base plate for that style of car.  Seems like no one makes these so this probably isn't my best idea but I hate to buy a car only for towing.  I have a couple of the MB's already and love these but they don't seem to be the amenable to towing.  I was hoping at 240D or 300D with a standard trans would be the magic bullet but it appears like nothing is perfect here.  Grrr.... :-\

Back
Top Bottom