"Winterizing confusion"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee325

Greetings,

Apologies for asking questions more than helping others on this forum but I am trying hard to catch up.  Just picked up this 99 Pace Arrow without a manual and am trying hard to learn the basics.  Being in Colorado, I need to winterize it soon and am seeking some very basic answers in regards to 'winterizing".  Pls review the photos in the following link and help with the following questions if you could:

Click here

Pic #1)  Why are there 2 tanks?  In regards to "winterizing" which tube do I need to use for bypass and adding the RV antifreeze? 
            What is the yellow valve lever for, what does it do, and why do I need it?
     #2)  Is this the bypass kit for the water heater?  If so, how do  I use it?
     #3)  Is this a built-in by-pass valve that I can use for "winterizing?"
     #4)  Is there another drain plug for the water heater or will these two levers do?
     #5)  Which is which for the grey and black?
     #6)  Just noticed the leaf springs seem pretty worn out.  They are not U shaped anymore.  Is this normal for RVs or need replacing? 

Again, tks for your help.   ??? ???

elee325 said:
Pic #1)  Why are there 2 tanks?  In regards to "winterizing" which tube do I need to use for bypass and adding the RV antifreeze? 

Don't know why there are two tanks. The yellow lever appears to be a drain valve for your fresh water tank.

No, that is not the water heater bypass. I have no idea what it is.

Don't know.

#4)  Is there another drain plug for the water heater or will these two levers do?

Those two valves will drain the hot and cold water lines but not the water heater tank. There is a drain plug on the water heater tank itself that has to be removed to drain it.

The one on the left is your black tank and the one on the right is the gray tank.

#6)  Just noticed the leaf springs seem pretty worn out.  They are not U shaped anymore.  Is this normal for RVs or need replacing?

Don't know. I sure there will be others that will help fill in the blanks.

My Pace Arrow has three valves. One is to drain the water tank and system, one is to bypass the h/w heater, and the third is to allow filling of the water tank from shorewater connection. You can drain the h/w lines and tank by opening the drain on the tank and the faucets.

Woody

The valve in picture #2 shuts off the water from the fresh water tank and opens the inlet for your water pump to suck antifreeze.  Remove the Brass Cap from the side of the valve and get the proper fitting with a tube attached (it might be a standard hose fitting but I doubt it), attach the fitting to the male fitting on the side of the valve and insert the tubing in the antifreeze.

The Bypass Handle opens the bypass line between the Cold Water inlet line and the Hot Water out line from the Water Heater.  You probably have one-way valves on the input and output of Water Heater.  There was a recent post that described the single valve Bypass system complete with diagrams, great explanation.  Mabe one of the hosts can direct you to that posting.

The drain for the Water Heater is on the side of the Water Heater at the bottom.  It looks like a drain plug and, depending on the make of your Water Heater, may have a sacrificial anode attached.  If it does have an anode you should probably replace it.  I did mine annually irrespective of wear (part of winterization).

Tom said:
I fixed the link - should work now Jim.

Tom,

Just curious.  What did I do wrong when my link was posted and how did you fix it?  So I don't repeat the mistake.  Tks again,

weewun said:
The valve in picture #2 shuts off the water from the fresh water tank and opens the inlet for your water pump to suck antifreeze.  Remove the Brass Cap from the side of the valve and get the proper fitting with a tube attached (it might be a standard hose fitting but I doubt it), attach the fitting to the male fitting on the side of the valve and insert the tubing in the antifreeze.

The Bypass Handle opens the bypass line between the Cold Water inlet line and the Hot Water out line from the Water Heater.  You probably have one-way valves on the input and output of Water Heater.  There was a recent post that described the single valve Bypass system complete with diagrams, great explanation.  Mabe one of the hosts can direct you to that posting.

The drain for the Water Heater is on the side of the Water Heater at the bottom.  It looks like a drain plug and, depending on the make of your Water Heater, may have a sacrificial anode attached.  If it does have an anode you should probably replace it.  I did mine annually irrespective of wear (part of winterization).

Weewun,

Tks much for your input.  I did look at the "single valve" post but didn't make a much sense to me until I read your reply and then everything clicked.  I think I am straight with all the issues except the photo #1. Why is there two tanks?  What is that yellow lever?  Is it just a shutoff valve to eliminate placing bypass tube for winterization? That is still mystery to me.  Again, thank you for the clarification. :)

There are two tanks for water capacity.  You can see the sensor probes on the smaller tank.

The ye;;ow valve is to drain your Fresh Water Tank.

picture no 2 is the place you can feed anti freeze into your pump.  If you pull the cap you see in the picture you can hook a hose to it an place in a jug of antifreeze and turn your pump on.

If you turn the knob toward you it opens to the cap toward the pump moves it toward the tank.  If you go to wally world or any rv store you can pick up the hose attachment for this.

They probably used two tanks simply to increase capacity in your model. perhaps it was more cost effective to use a combination of two tanks from other models than to stock a unique larger tank size for your configuration. The yellow valve appears to be a drain for the two tanks. It would normally be closed, as it is in the picture.
No. On the left you see the water pump and the filter that prevents any crud in the tank from jamming the dump itself. Check this filter about once a year for junk - it is amazing what you may find in there.  The valve switches the pump suction from the fresh tank to the fitting you see on the side of the valve. This allows you to use the pump to suck antifreeze solution into the water lines. It can also be used to pump a strong chlorine solution into the lines to sanitize them.
This valve is used to fill the fresh tank with water. It "bypasses" the pump so water can be sent from the city inlet direct to the fresh tank. It is unfortunate that many manufacturers cal this a "bypass" valve - leads to much confusion.
The heater itself has a drain on the side of the tank. These levers drain the water lines, but not the heater tank. Or the fresh tank either, unless the pump is on.
The 3" line is the black and the 1.5" line if the gray, per national plumbing standards.

Springs flatten under load and I suspect you are seeing a spring that is maxed out on its weight capacity. However, springs do get tired with age (especially heavily loaded ones), so it may be time for a replacement. A spring shop could tell you - most cities have one or more.

RV Roamer said:
They probably used two tanks simply to increase capacity in your model. perhaps it was more cost effective to use a combination of two tanks from other models than to stock a unique larger tank size for your configuration. The yellow valve appears to be a drain for the two tanks. It would normally be closed, as it is in the picture.No. On the left you see the water pump and the filter that prevents any crud in the tank from jamming the dump itself. Check this filter about once a year for junk - it is amazing what you may find in there.  The valve switches the pump suction from the fresh tank to the fitting you see on the side of the valve. This allows you to use the pump to suck antifreeze solution into the water lines. It can also be used to pump a strong chlorine solution into the lines to sanitize them.This valve is used to fill the fresh tank with water. It "bypasses" the pump so water can be sent from the city inlet direct to the fresh tank. It is unfortunate that many manufacturers cal this a "bypass" valve - leads to much confusion.The heater itself has a drain on the side of the tank. These levers drain the water lines, but not the heater tank. Or the fresh tank either, unless the pump is on.The 3" line is the black and the 1.5" line if the gray, per national plumbing standards.
Springs flatten under load and I suspect you are seeing a spring that is maxed out on its weight capacity. However, springs do get tired with age (especially heavily loaded ones), so it may be time for a replacement. A spring shop could tell you - most cities have one or more.

Roamer, in regards to your reply on #3 about bypassing the "pump", are you referring to the water heater as explained via the diagram regarding "Single Valve Bypass System" posting?  Because that's the valve I used to bypass the water heater for winterizing.  Did I do wrong?  Tks,

in regards to your reply on #3 about bypassing the "pump", are you referring to the water heater as explained via the diagram regarding "Single Valve Bypass System" posting?

No, I really mean bypassing the water pump.  There are two different valves (or sets of valves) typically referred to as "bypass valves". One is on the water heater and may be a 1, 2, or 3 valve configuration per On-A-Quests description. That's used for winterizing.  The other is a water PUMP bypass and is used when filling the fresh water tank via the city water inlet. Two different valves, in two different locations, for two different purposes.

Woody said:
My Pace Arrow has three valves. One is to drain the water tank and system, one is to bypass the h/w heater, and the third is to allow filling of the water tank from shorewater connection. You can drain the h/w lines and tank by opening the drain on the tank and the faucets.

Woody

Woody,

Where is the hot water heater bypass valve/handle on your Pace Arrow?

On my pace arrow the valve is behind the water heater. There is a door behind the heater open and there it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom