mice in the MH garage!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnsharon07

This question might be a bit odd....:)

A few months ago I bought a 97 DS DP, which I love.  I just paid a couple thousand dollars to have my existing shop modified so I can park the MH in the shop, but now that the moment is at hand, I'm worried because I have mice in the shop!

The shop is a metal building with insulation on the inside - but no sheetrock.  In the 2 years I've lived here, I had the odd mouse in there - I could tell because my Jack Russell dug into the insulation and fished out the mice.  Now that I have the big, big door, however, there is no way to seal this building, and I fear that the mice might damage the MH.  (Come to think of it, they did not damage my trailmanor travel trailer when it was in the shop, though I know that at least one mouse entered the trailmanor, but it might have entered when the trailer was unfolded and basically not at all sealed.)

Poison is not an option because of my dogs.  Surely someone else has had to protect their MH from mice??  I thought about sheetrocking the shop, but then the mice would have nowhere to go but the MH....so maybe I just leave well enough alone and hope they prefer the easily accessed insulation in the shop walls over the MH?  Or do those ultrasound thingys work....?  Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks much, Sharon in Middle TN

Mice are always a problem in RVs. They all have openings sufficient for a mouse to get in (they can and will squeeze through incredibly small openings).  I have seen numerous success stories about the ultrasound devices. Electronic traps are another solution (they electrocute the mice that enter a box-like trap).  You could also place conventional traps or poisons high enough so the dogs cannot get at them. Mice climb quite well!

There are several ways to deter mice.. There are several products on the market that are supposed to shoo them off  (Pest repellers) but I've found the most effective way to keep mice away is to install CAT.. In fact in my motor home when I'm out and about and house when I'm at home I have stereo CAT installed... and for come reason the mice don't drop in for lunch..

Cats keep inviting them.. but the mice do not wish to join with the kitties for lunch.. Don't know why.. Cats tell me mice have such great taste after all. (or is it they taste great)

Our motorhome is parked outside our house in a field that has plenty of mice.  Like Gary said, it's next to impossible to seal a motorhome enough to keep them out.  I installed one of the electronic traps and had a hit every couple of days.

A good deterrent is peppermint oil.  Since sprinkling a few drops around the inside of the MH (at likely entry points) I haven't seen any mouse activity (or kills) in close to a month.  And it makes the MH smell nice.

Thanks to you all for these great ideas!  As to the "CAT" idea, it's great but I have  Jack Russell Terrier (who is frankly just as good, ok, not as good a climber) and JRT's do not necessarily agree that a CAT is a good addition to the property!  My JRT Dixie dug a mouse nest out of the wall of the shop yesterday and caught the mom, and my lab scared one out of a dirtpile earlier today and did the manly thing about it....

I hate to kill anything, but a balance must be reached!  Thanks again, and happy travels. Sharon

Sharon,

One thing that really helps to keep mice out is to remove all edible or "attractive" food for the mice.  Anything they can smell and get into, they will be after.  We do this also to keep ants out of the coach. 

Marsha~

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom