RV floors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becky

I'm looking to purchase a travel trailer and was told that it has a soft floor. The insulation under the floor is cracked. Has anyone heard of this and can it be left that way. Should I still buy it?
Thanks

A soft floor could be an indication of serious problems to the extent of rotten wood.  I think I would walk away even if they were willing to give it to me.

becky said:
I'm looking to purchase a travel trailer and was told that it has a soft floor. The insulation under the floor is cracked. Has anyone heard of this and can it be left that way. Should I still buy it?
Thanks

Becky,

Quite often a soft floor is an indication of a water leak that was left unattended. I would be very cautious about buying such a rig. The floor probably needs to be replaced and that is not an easy job in many cases.

Hi,

I know somebody who resplaced a rotten floor on a  "unique, old" bumper trailer.
Just to " show off " and proof that it could be done.
It took him and his brother in law more than 20 working days.
If asked later would you do this again? ...his answer:"I will never do this a second time, I underestimated how much work this was".
Imagine what the costs would have been if he had to pay for the labour.

Becky:

becky said:
Thanks

Winnebago was known for soft floors in the mid nineties. It was a design flaw vs. water damage. Seems the flooring was made of two pieces of a Masonite kinda material with about an inch or two of a hard foam insulation material between the two layers. When they laid the flooring down, they didn't cut the sections to end and be attached to the cross members supporting. So several sections were essentially just hanging between the cross members. Over time they would start to give for lack of support.

The next thing that happened was that because of the lack of support the Masonite on top began to separate from the foam insulation material -- and soft walking spots developed. Usually, they occurred about the center of the living area and along the hallway in front of the bath entrance.

This happened on my '94 Winny Brave. It was about 6 months out of warranty when I took it back to the dealer in Sacramento. They called Winnebago and they extended the warranty to fix it. The fix first involved taking up all the carpet from the front entrance to the front of the queen bed in the back. They then took a saw and cut the upper Masonite layer down through the insulation to just about the lower layer and removed all that from the coach. The next step was to cut and place plywood segments to replace what was removed. And then the carpet was replaced.

The finished product was about as solid a floor as I could ever want. The bad news was the added weight of the plywood - tho I was pleased with the results otherwise. I didn't pay to have this done but the shop foreman said the job would have been billed at over $2,000. It took several days to complete.

Recently, I was looking at a '95 Class A Adventurer at a local dealer -- and yes, the floors were soft in exactly the same spots as on my former Brave. I told the used rig dealer -- and he said, yes, it has Winny floors. The original dealer of my Brave and this person implied that there was no damage involved, just the inconvenience of having the floor "give" a little -- and that that was normal and OK with a Winny. My response was, "not thanks" -- I don't want any more Winny floors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom