5th wheel hitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29RK Dave

I just spent some long quality time reading 7 pages about hitches after using the search, and still feel the need to inquire of those more learned than I.  Since going from a 29' Alpenlite to a 36' Montana, I've been giving more thought to my hitch.  We pulled the Alpenlite (GVW 12,500 lbs) with the RBW Little Rocker, rated at 15,000 lbs.  We now are towing a rig 7' longer and about 1,800 lbs heavier.  On paper, my RBW is adequate with about a 600 lb buffer, but I, like many, believe that a little larger margine for error is a good thing.

After reading a ton of product information and talking with several dealers, I've come to the following conclusions; 1) everyone has their favorites, 2)  everyone wants to recommend and sell you their favorites,  and 3) everyone wants to make a deal on what's on the shelf. 

I feel that I need a hitch with a heavier rating, but as I said, after much reading, I can see the pros and cons of several designs.  I always felt the RBW draw bar was better because it seems least likely to open accidently, but other manufacturers point out it may wear on the at the kingpin contact point as it is flat.  The Reese hitches seem to be very popular, and I have a 16,000 lb rated one that came with my rig, but I will need to get the mounting rails, and it has been pointed out that the clam shell design is more prone to open accidently.  Then there are the air ride hitches, which I can see have obvious advantages, but do the advantages justify the price?  And then there's the price factor, is a $2000 hitch rated at 18,000 lbs really that much better than one that cost $500.  And, I have a long box truck, so Sliders don't even come into the equation.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but based on your opinions and experiences, am I good with what I have, and if I were to upgrade, what would you recommend?  I ask this here, because nobody here is trying to sell me their product, so I can respect the feed back as non-biased.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

If you feel that you need more weight capacity, why not change to the RBW x-18 with 18000 lbs capacity? RBW is a good hitch (I have one, my second) and you might be able to use the same rails, Contact them. Here's the info: RBW
They are now Al-Ko but the URL remains RBW. The wear on the kingpin is minimal....don't sweat it.

I've only ever had 1 5th wheel hitch, a Reese. It's never been a problem, so I'll leave the brand opinion's to others.

About your comment of some opening accidentally. After seeing 2 trucks in Fla. last winter that had trailers dropped on the bed I installed a Bedsaver.

BTW that was 2 out of many, many trucks so I don't think it's a big issue. It's sure ugly when it does though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom