Help with Fuel tank problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

I made a recent purchase of a 1985 Vogue II on the P30 chassis but have a fuel problem tracked back to the fuel tank itself. It seems that there is old old old fuel which has caused massive clogging problems. The MH has an 80 gallon fuel tank with around 25-30 gallons of fuel remaining. I am close to having to drain and drop the tank but found out from a friend with an '86 Airstream that there may be an access to the top of the fuel tank from inside the bedroom. It has a queen size bed and it sits on a pedestal that contains a large open area on one side and drawers on the other. At the front of the bed pedestal is the hot water heater and furnace duct. If anyone has information on this and how to begin to get to the access It would be appreciated. I just hate the thought of dropping that fuel tank if I can access and get the problem solved from the interior.

Thanks for your help to another newbie...

Wish I knew the answer to that one, but Vogues were real not common and there may be no vintage Vogue owner here to help you.

There is a old Vogue owners group on Yahoo Groups. It's called vintage_vogues and can be seen at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_vogues/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1
You may have to establish a Yahoo Id to look at the Yahoo Groups, but it is free.

Thanks I had already been to that site. I guess as with anything you can get a lemon. I knew due to the time this MH was sitting that i was going to have a fuel issue but could not turn down the deal. All systems are in working order and the MH is really structurally sound. I was really hoping to avoid dropping the Fuel tank if at all possible. I guess I will begin to poke around the carpet area in the rear and see if I can find a hatch. If not BRING on the jacks and dollies boys we are dropping a fuel tank.

I have contacted the site "Vintage Vogue" diiscussion forum but have not received permission for access as of yet. If any of the "old timers" remeber the Vogue II MH any suggestions would be helpfull and very appreciated.

For what its worth, if you have gum/garbage in the tank DROP IT. Once the tank is out you can slosh the heck out of it and get it clean, if it has a tough varnish in it and it does not wash out you can put clean gravel in the tank with soap and water and slosh it till it looks like new. Two cents paid in full. :D

Are you sure it's old fuel and not rust?  A rusty tank will clog a fuel filter quickly and make the vehicle act as if it's starved for fuel. The gravel trick works for the rust too.  When I remove a fuel tank, I've also found it is a good idea to replace all rubber hoses.

-Dave

Thanks for input. It is looking strong that we will have to drop the tank.
I am not sure if it is just sludge from old gas and sitting or if it might be rust in the tank. I have been working
my way back and am at the tank now. All fuel filters changed, carb cleaned. Tonight I am
going to try blowing the lines out. If that fails down comes the tank.

Sounds like you are on the right (and necessary) track.  I'm not sure I'd call this a "lemon" either... more like a problem that should be expected with an older MH that's been sitting a long time.  Keep us updated!

scottydl said:
I'm not sure I'd call this a "lemon" either... more like a problem that should be expected with an older MH that's been sitting a long time.  Keep us updated!

I agree 100%.  My wife's family has inherited a farm from her father's aunt complete with a 1965 John Deere gasoline tractor, a 1972 Buick LeSabre, a 1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne Pickup, and multiple other gasoline powered devices.  I have had to clean out the fuel systems on every single one of them before I could get them to reliably run.  The tractor and the vehicles all had rust in their fuel tanks along with other fuel problems all attributed to sitting for a long time.

-Dave

scottydl said:
Sounds like you are on the right (and necessary) track.  I'm not sure I'd call this a "lemon" either... more like a problem that should be expected with an older MH that's been sitting a long time.  Keep us updated!

Oh no no, One of the other posters has link and the owner of a Vogue did have masive problems. No mine is limited ( at this time ) to fuel pick up. this week-end removed all filters and checked and sure enough massiive rust build up ( after around 70 miles on a filter change ) in the
carburator filter. One mechanic, after seeing the tank size, recommended keeping a spare change out or two of filters and maybe even installing a large cannister filter. After installing a new carb filter ran very well.

Seems like I've got to keep running clean filters until the rust problem is resolved. I did find the access to the top of the fuel tank from inside the coach, and the rust build up did not appear to be bad enough to warrant dropping the tank. So a filtering I will go....

So on I go, thanks for all the input from the forum.

Yeah on the supply of filters. Good thing is that for around $6.00 I get a fuel filter change out that takes around 10-15 minutes to complete or up to 3 weeks for removal, boil out, recoat, cure and put back on. The reason i am shying aware from the complete removal is due to the extreme size and weight of the tank I am hoping to resolve the issue by keeping good fresh fuel in and put some miles on the MH to flow the fuel through the system. I am also considing that the rust I was able to view thru the access was minimal and did not warrant the full blown drop and clean. Now if I find that there was condensation that effected the upper part of the tank that I could not see then I am back to dropping the tank and doing the clean out. I will know more about that once I refill and check the tank.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom