12 volt heated wet bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geff

Weather just turned cold.  Waiting to winterize for another week.  As I understand it, the 12 volt heated wet bay will help prevent the tanks and lines from freezing.  Is this correct?  I am currently using shore power.  I think this should keep the batteries charged.  Any help will be appreciated.

You are correct

While I do not know your system if the tanks and pipes are all enclosed in compartments... The heat should give you around 10 degrees of wiggle room, that is no heat and a long night of say 30 degrees.  You got a problem

With heat you should be good to 20 or less.

Make sure you know what is heated and what is not and when/how that heat is turned on. Sometimes there are heat pads under some of all of the tanks and sometimes there is just an electric heater blowing into the wet bay. Sometimes both. And if the bay has openings (hose exits, drain holes, etc.) you may want to block them up.  A bit of insulation in the bottom of the bay helps too - even a piece of old carpet retains a lot of heat that would otherwise be lost on a cold night.

Make sure you know what is heated and what is not and when/how that heat is turned on. Sometimes there are heat pads under some of all of the tanks and sometimes there is just an electric heater blowing into the wet bay. Sometimes both. And if the bay has openings (hose exits, drain holes, etc.) you may want to block them up.  A bit of insulation in the bottom of the bay helps too - even a piece of old carpet retains a lot of heat that would otherwise be lost on a cold night."

Thanks for the info.  I am not sure how to find out what is heated.  I asked a service tech from the dealership who wasn't sure.  He thinks it may be a heat strip around the tanks...(?)  There is a switch to turn on "bay heat".  I am hoping this works for a few more days.  By the way, the coach in question is a Monaco Safari Simba

[edit]Fixed quoted text to display as a quote[/edit]

Monacos usually have a little electric heater in the bay by the waste outlets, but I don't know about the Simba model. Maybe some Monaco owners will comment? If not, a call to Monaco Customer Service will clear things up quickly. They can tell you exactly what is on your particular coach and how it works.

My point was that you cannot assume that everything is heated simply because there is a switch somewhere labeled "heat".

Our Monaco has a heater in the service bay. It's thermostatically controlled so, when you turn the "Systems heat" switch on, the heater doesn't come on until the temperature gets down to around 40 degrees +/- 6 degrees. The heater looks like a small cube heater and is clearly visible in the bay.

thanks to all for your responses.  The manual seems to indicate that it has an electric heater and maybe a pad or something.  However, the coach is a 2009 and the manual is for 2008.  And I cannot find the heater.  I will continue to look.

Try calling Monaco Tech Support at 866-466-6226 and have your coach number ready when you call. I've found them to be very helpful.

According to the Safari web site, the 12v heater in the wet bay is an option on the 2009 Simba. Do you have the invoice sheet that shows what is on the coach?  I don't know of any Monaco products that use the heated pads under the tanks - Monaco seems to like the little 12v heater, which should be very obvious.

Are you sure the dashboard switch is not for the sideview mirrors? They are heated - that is standard equipment on a Simba.

According to the "standard run savings Package" there is a 12v heater in Wet Bay.  Switch is on wall control panel.
I can't seem to see it.  I must be blind.  Of course when I get off work it has been dark so I have to use a flashlight to look around.  I will look again tonight and/or I will check it out Saturday. (in the day light)

Mystery solved.  Located heater in wet bay.  It sort of sits on top of a tank in the back. 
My thanks to all that helped.
Gary

Monaco "Techs" are the greatest! Call them with all ?'s.The regular's on this forum are great also! If there are cold weather  options on a unit the word WINTERIZED will be found.This includes electric tank pads or blankets and pipe insulation.
Just returned from Taos where my RV Park(summer lot) is now open all year for skiers and the park staff tell horror stories of freeze up's,split tank's and more!

If an RV is in a cold weather state(love my Florida) it should be protected by the BOOK  as soon as parked for the off season!

Don't worry about your manual. Dear Ol Monaco starts their next year's model year in April so the early production units will have out dated manual covers. Been that way for years, can't seem to get the print shop on the same page.

If you stay on shore power while parked, water levels in house batteries should be maintained  frequently.

Back
Top Bottom