Captain James H. Dick, USN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
As many of you know we received an email from our son last week about his pending promotion to Captain. It was supposed to take place in the spring. We were visiting with him last week and I told him we wanted to be there when it happened.

His email said the promotion had been moved up.... to this past Monday!! We debated about returning to VA since we had just arrived at TGO that afternoon. Hearts won out over minds and we left Friday morning and arrived on Saturday. He said it would be a low keyed affair in his office. His boss, a Captain, said this was too important not to have some kind of official ceremony. The event took place on the O1 deck of the USS Barry, a Destroyer tied up at the Washington Navy Yard. We were very happy we had decided to attend and not listen to his advice. :)

The Captain stated that of all the Naval Academy graduates only 16% ever make Captain. I was amazed at that fact. He also stated that Jim was #60 on the list but had been moved up to #20! Guess someone up there likes him. ;D Attached are some photos I took.

Costs of Trip

Fuel............................................$181.52

Food...........................................$205.22

Lodging.......................................$101

Watching the Eagle collar devices
pinned on our son.........................PRICELESS!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8689 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8689 (Large).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8713_NEW (Large).jpg
    IMG_8713_NEW (Large).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8717 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8717 (Large).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8719 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8719 (Large).JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 94
Congratulations again!!!  Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks to Jim, you and your families for your service to our country.

Don and Mary Ann Nesbitt
Cary, NC

So glad you decided to go to the ceremony.  We are all proud of him.

WOW, Jim and Pat!  What a thrilling ceremony to witness.  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I'm glad you wore that outstanding looking sweater, Jim, as I'm sure you would have popped the buttons right off of any shirt.  :D

Margi

That's absolutely wonderful!  Your son "did good."  Congratulations to you all.  And, Jim, thanks for posting the photos for us all to enjoy.

ArdraF and JerryF

Congratulations, Pat and Jim!!!  And a "job well done" to the new Captain!!  Thank you both for your service to our country. Thanks for the photos.

Best regards,
Jack and Liz

Congratulations, Captain Dick. We can never thank you enough for your service.

Oh, and congrats to the proud parents, too.

Wendy & Mike

Terrific new Jim & Pat.  I'm sure you are very proud, as we all are.  Congratulations to your son the Captain.

Ron & Shirley

We had the honor and privilege of dining with Pat and Jim this evening and giving our congratulations in person.  We also got to see a few photos that Jim took that he did not post.  Jim took us on a tour through TGO.  What a top notch place.

Congrats again, and thank you for everything.

Barb and Frank

watch the sky for the Blue Angels on the 7 and 8th.
and there is a launch on the 14th.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, we are very proud and can't wait for the next promotion! ;D Pat was told by a civilian worker in Jim's new group that he would be an Admiral in two years. It will be interesting to see if that really happens. :)

I wish all of you could meet him. He never ceases to amaze us. Anyone that is interested can do a search on the USS Ramage. Jim was the CO from 05 to 07. There were some interesting articles on their deployment to the Med and Gulf.

Barb & Frank,

We wish our visit could have been longer. It was great seeing you again and we hope you will return someday, or we will get back out west. Thanks again for your kindness.

Admiral in only two years would be pretty amazing, but we are rooting for him.  Becoming a captain as early as he did makes flag rank seem very likely in the future, even if it takes a bit longer than two years. We will be waiting and watching for the next ceremony!!!

Jim
Maybe some point my SIL and your son will be in the same ship.  SIL is also in Norfork, but right now Mark is on deployment.  Due back in Dec!

Congrats to your son, how many years has he been in now?

Back
Top Bottom