How cheap/inexpensive can you go on an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randomguy4321

Ok so me and a friend(s) are thinking about buying a cheap RV and spending alot of time driving cross country.  Problem is, we have little cash at present, and would have to save up.  We wouldnt need anything too fancy, just tolerable living conditions and a way to get around.  We dont have a reliable truck for towing, so my inclination was to look into a class a/class c vehicle.  Would it be feasible for us young guys to buy a cheap vehicle and actually make it somewhere?  is under $10,000 possible for an rv that isnt doomed to break down first thing?

Yes a $10,000 budget is certainly doable, just look on Craigslist and ebay.  However,  with an older MH expect to do maintainance and repairs.  A Class A will likely give one bedroom and a pull-out couch, though the bedroom might have twin beds.  The Class C will likley have more sleeping arrangements, with bedroom, the cab-over bunk and pull-out couch etc.

Tires, amongst other things are a fairly big expense so make sure any coach you consider has newer tires or be prepared to replace them.

BT

Buddy gives good advice, as usual. Just make sure you budget for repairs, especially if you aren't handy yourself.  There is a used motorhome checklist in the Forum Library (use Resources button above). Inspect your prospective purchase thoroughly to avoid surprises.   If you shop widely, you should find a rig with fairly new tires and batteries, moderate mileage and all working appliances. They are out there - just keep searching!

Don't be afraid to make a low offer if a rig appears to be out of your budget range.

My brother just bought a 1985 27' Gulfstream with the Chevy 454 engine in it.  I think he said it only had around 40,000 miles and mechanically it was in perfect shape.  The previous owner kept very good maintenance on it.  The interior was perfect, and safety wise (and inspection wise), everything worked (lights, bells, whistles, horns, etc.).  Even the onboard Onan generator fired right up.  Only a few minor issues with interior lights and a couple of switches, and he said he had to swap out the power converter.  Otherwise, for $4,500, he got himself a heck of a motorhome.  No slides, and as was mentioned above, only a bed in the rear (queen), and the foldout couch and table that made into a small bed.  He found it on Craig's List.  They can be found, you just have to be patient and keep looking.

My first camper cost me 400 dollars. Piece of you know what, but it did what it was supposed to do for the time I had it. Second camper 1500 dollars. Between the two of them, I fulltimed very comfortably for 18 months in them. I finally bought a nice new one, but that was only recently. I have gone with the trailer-truck thing simply because I could get a used truck and trailer for cheaper than I could a motor home I trusted. My first truck was 500 dollars, my second truck was 3200. So, for my second truck and camper, it was 4700 dollars. That would give you enough money for repairs and upgrades you might need. I found all my items either in the newspaper or craigslist.

Good luck!

Yes, you can get an RV for less than $10,000.  Yes, you should be prepared to spend money beyond the purchase price - you will have a chassis and a camper to keep going.  Yes, you have to think through who is going to sleep where, how often you will be moving on, and where everyone is going to sit for dinner when it is cold and rainy.

Use the checklists on the forum and DO NOT buy an RV without a current state inspection sticker.  My first inspection cost me $2,500!

My current setup (truck and fifth wheel) cost me $8000 in 2003.  I bought them from an elderly woman who was a friend of a friend.  They had bought both new, and taken very good care of them.  Fiver is a 1993 Coachmen, truck is a 1989 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 460 EFI.  The truck had been garaged since new, and even at 14 years old, only had 36K miles on it.  It had only been used to tow the trailer..even still smelled new.  They used it until he died at 90, and she was 89 years old and couldn't use it, so she had to let it go.

I've since put about 8K more miles on the combo, and it has been very reliable with only minor maintenance and a repair or two.  I changed a leaking master cylinder last summer, and both power window motors about 3 years ago.  Other than that, change the oil and drive it.  I did have to replace the tires on both, as they were dry rotting....keep this in mind when buying an older rig.

The deals are out there....especially with the economy in the state it's in and Christmas coming up.  A lot of folks are out of work and need the cash, and are willing to let their toys go cheap.  And even though gas prices have fallen, it's only temporary, and people know this. Ask around people you know who RV...watch Craigslist, eBay, local classifieds, etc. 

Good luck on your search.

Back
Top Bottom