Navigational software and digital NOAA charts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

Anyone interested in learning or playing with navigation using the free NOAA digital charts might want to purchase this disk.  I did and it's lots of run. 

The disk includes a navigation software package and almost all the NOAA digital charts on a 4.1 GB DVD.  The cost s $17 for the DVD or $99 for the DVD and a GPS that has a USB plug so it will connect directly to and be powered by your PC.  For info go to eBay and search on this auction number:  2002566702699.

For the record, I already know that the software (SeaClear II) is already free and if you have the time to download 4 GB of digital NOAA charts they are also free for the taking.  The value here to me was that I get the whole lot for $17 postage prepaid on a DVD.

JerryF
[edit]Fixed link[/edit]

Thanks Jerry. That listing appears to have been removed. Folks wanting to download the free version can get it at the Sea Clear web site. Note that the link on their web site to the NOAA charts appears to be broken, but the direct link is here.

I went ahead and updated my prior message to add this information.

This is the URL to see the eBay ad for this NAV and Charts package.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F200256702699_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1&item=200256702699&viewitem=

JerryF

Thanks Jerry. I added the link to your original message.

11/30/2008

RE NAV Charts:  I have now moved on to Rose Point Navigation Systems "Coastal Explorer."  They have a FREE trial version.  This NAVI  software is fantastic so if you're interested in playing with or learning how to use NAVI systems you might try it.  It's tons of fun!! 

One feature I really like is the ease of and automatic loading of both the Raster and Vector navigation charts for NOAA charts and of course these charts are also FREE.  Just Google Coastal Explorer if you're interested.  Once installed just click on DOWNLOAD CHARTS.\

There are too many features to discuss them but if you're connected to the internet and looking at a chart of, let's say, Tom's house and waterway behind it you have the ability of automatically overlaying it with an overhead satellite view of the surrounding area.  Then by modifying the transparency of the satellite view you see both the nautical chart detail and the surrounding buildings.  I did this for an area of the Detroit River that included the buildings along the shore line and our house (3 blocks off the river) in Detroit when we used to live there.

JerryF

Dgshaffer,

Isn't Garmin Mapsource for land navigation, i.e., road and highways?  Coastal Explorer is for water navigation, i.e., rivers, lakes, and the ocean.  If, in fact, the Garmin MapSource you're referring to is for water navigation I can't answer your question because the only two WATER navigation programs I have used are SeaClear and Coastal Explorer.

JerryF 

Jerry

Garmin makes water navigation software and units also. I use Garmin's nRoute as the laptop display along with my SP2610 since it can use the Mapsource/City Navigator mapset, but most of the terminology and settings are for vessels.

Bernie,

What is nRoute?  Does it route on highways or does it allow a person to set up a route between, let's say, the downtown San Francisco waterfront to the Oakland, CA waterfront in order to run a boat across San Francisco Bay?

I always thought that Garmin MapSource was for roads not water routing.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
I can't answer your question because the only two WATER navigation programs I have used are SeaClear and Coastal Explorer.
JerryF 

I suppose reading the name of the sub forum this was posted in would have given me a clue as to the nature of the software.

JerArdra said:
Bernie,

What is nRoute?  Does it route on highways or does it allow a person to set up a route between, let's say, the downtown San Francisco waterfront to the Oakland, CA waterfront in order to run a boat across San Francisco Bay?

I always thought that Garmin MapSource was for roads not water routing.

JerryF

Jerry

nRoute is another mapping program put out by Garmin. It is free and downloadable from Garmin's website. While I use it with Mapsource, the structure of the program and the icons and commands seem to be maritime in nature, i.e. "keep vessel in view". Maritime maps are available on Garmin's site also but I am not sure which ones work best with which programs for on-the-water.

The Nathans and I hired a fishing boat out of Prince Rupert a number of years ago. The captain used his SP III to guide us to his SPOT. The three of us hit the limit within an hour while the party boat 100 yards away was skunked. :D

Bernie,

In the marine stuff I have seen depth sounders that are specialized "fish finders."  Fishin' is a big business!

JerryF

Jerry

The captain had sounders as well, but it was the SP III that he was watching carefully as he circled his SPOT to make sure he was exactly in the right place.I'm sure the party boat captain had his sounder as well but didn't know the SPOT  :D

Back
Top Bottom