Changes Furniture and Entertainment System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

Seems like our Beaver has decided to become our home for a long time.  Being a 2000 with 25,000 miles it is anticipated it will have a long life span with good maintenance and care.  Being a 2000 it is also dated or needs upgrades we would like to do.  We have an old CRT type TV mounted over the drivers seat.  We are thinking of replacing the cabinet behind the passenger seat and putting in a flat screen TV that can be raised and lowered and moving the satellite connect, Direct TV receiver, DVD Player and CD player into this area making an entertainment area.  The opposing couch we would replace with a Monaco Double RV Recliner, http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvdoublereclinerseats/rvfurnitureMonaco-b.htm.  Eventually we will retrofit a 14' slide-out onto the curbside of the coach, (Not too soon due to costs), in a couple years or so.
Has anyone done this before and what were your experiences?  The woodwork in the Beaver is well done and is perhaps some of the best.  I have never worked with wood in trying to match color, stain or any of that stuff.  Can it be done where it would like a factory job?  Corian, can it be installed to look like our original and is it costly?  Finally, there are a lot of people here with far more RV experience than us, is this a bad idea?  On a dollar basis, and a desire to keep the rig for a long time, it just seemed to make more sense than purchasing a newer rig.  Sure appreciate some input.
Thanks,
Phil

Depending on how much you wish to spend you can put in a "Wide Screen" that sits a bit higher, leaving a gap at the bottom for a "Home Theater" type receiver (That is the one item you need to see the display on).. Put the TV on a hinge so you can "open" it.

On top of the receiver put a DVD player or DVR (I have a real nice Pioneer on top of my TV here at home) or a DVD player and a VCR)  and any other electronics.. Storage for DVD's or VCR tapes (or both) and CD's ..

Use a pair of mirrors to reflect IR-Remote signals up to the other stuff (You only need to see the display on the receiver and possibly the Video recorder)

That way you don't need to do much cabinet work

Or do a complete re-do

I will likely do the "Turn it into storage" bit some day

Phil,

Are you planning to do the woodwork and Corian yourself? There are a number of good shops out there that will do a good job and the match with factory original will be virtually perfect.

I'd be skeptical about adding a slide, but everything else seems reasonable. A good shop can match woods and upholstery well. Hard to know if you have chosen a good shop until they are done, though. I'd go with somebody who does RVs all the time and can show examples of their work.

Corian can usually be matched and yes, it is very expensive material. Corian is the Dupont brand name - there are others just as good.

John,
We will be with a 32 inch TV depending on measurements and how we can make it fit.  We like being able to stow the TV when not in use as it reduces the clutter and opens up more storage.  We are hoping to do the same thing with our iMac since it requires no tower.  I'd love a huge screen but a 32" is an improvement over the 21" CRT we have.

Tom,

I wish I had the expertise as it would be a lot of fun.  I am just not enough craftsman to do this so I will be looking for someone to do this.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Phil

Phil,

We have done several major upgrades to our 1999 Country Coach.  We plan to keep it  "forever."  We found lots of places in and around Junction  City, Eugene Oregon who do wonderful work.  I had Corian replaced.  It is perfect.  Terry had Davis Cabinet rework the entire front  end of  our rig with a flat screen TV and new cabinetry.  All matches perfectly.  We had Countryside Interiors  in Junction City, Oregon  replace carpet and recover the sofa.  The also did  tile in entry way. We had MCD in Texas replace all of our  day night pleated shades.    All of the  costs combined would not equal the cost of a down payment on a new rig.

I agree that all are doable except maybe the slideout part.  I wouldn't do that without checking with Monaco first to be sure there aren't structural issues that could present problems.  As to the cabinets, the Beavers' are superb and if anyone can match them, it will be Davis Cabinets in Junction City.  They've done work for us both when the Executive was brand new and when we wanted to change two years ago to a 30-inch flat screen TV.  They matched everything perfectly, including the Corian and cabinet hardware.  You'll love getting a flat screen in place of a "head knocker."

The thread "I Spoke Too Soon" started by Tom Jones (under PCs, Communications, and Electronics) talks about this.  In reply #13 Jerry included three photos of our new front TV.

ArdraF

Has anyone had good RV cabinet work done near Seattle.

We have a 33U Itasca Suncruiser and I want to install a cabinet where the recliner used to be next to the door. Much wasted space. I want to move the TV from overheard to this area next to the door. Tired of twisting my head to watch TV.

Davis Cabinet
Junction City OR, 12 mile N of Eugene
541-998-8778

I'm there now getting MCD blinds installed. They have done several jobs for me in last 10 yrs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom