TST-507 Monitor Caps Switched- Thinking about using Nitrogen -VS- Air Next Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

I always like to run the Tire Pressure Monitor a couple days before departing to make sure I roll with proper pressure.  I like Max or near.  I need to start eXperimenting with Pressures within the inflation window.

I guess I am so fearful of building pressure with a under inflated tire, I will just add a little more "Perceived" Roughness to the ride by riding on Hard, hopefully not to the point of crowing the tread to make for uneven wear.

In preparation for the current trip, I found I guess the last time I crossed the inner and outer monitor cap after I set it up.  At least I did not have it on the TOAD... ;D

My TST-507 10 Banger, I find it will see all Vehicles here in the Garage or RV Port and makes it a breeze running around with this PanCake Compressor that I purchased after being persuaded by Gary this was a good one.  This Compressor will generate a 6 Gal tank Pressure of 150 PSI. 

I have painted a small job too big for Rattle Can.  It will generate some sweat but for short use I paint with it too.

QUESTION: What does the board think about the Cost of Depleting all the air and Filling the Tires with Nitrogen?

JD

Attachments

• Crossed dually monitors by mistake.jpg
    Crossed dually monitors by mistake.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Check Air before Launch.jpg
    Check Air before Launch.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28
After 35 years in the auto repair business, I have to say that I think paying for pure nitrogen as opposed to the free 70% variety is just a waste of money. 
Your 10,000+ lb. RV is not so sensitive to tire pressure that the difference in pressure caused by heat expansion is going to make a difference in it's handling.  It's also not going to make a difference in tire life...7 years is 7 years.
Save the money you'd spend on nitrogen and spend it on more important stuff...like a six-pack of a nice IPA. 
Let the guys with the 'Vettes and the Vanquishes have the nitrogen.

I need to start eXperimenting with Pressures within the inflation window.
Frankly, John, I'm with Wally -- stick with air. But I'd also strongly suggest that you use the tire inflation tables by the tire manufacturer, rather than running near max when it's not needed. And the tire engineers have already allowed for heat on the road in the tire design and pressure recommendations, so the cold tire pressure in the tables (perhaps with 5 psi or so extra for insurance on a 90-100 psi tire, for example) should give you good tread wear and tire life. While under inflation can damage the tires, over inflation can not only cause problems with uneven tread wear, but it can cause handling problems.

I agree with the previous posts. Air is just fine. When I bought my Ford Edge 2 years ago the dealer was charging $99 for nitrogen. Needless to say, I passed.

Nitrogen in tires is a solution waiting for the right problem to come along.  You will never see a perceptible improvement in tire wear, operating temperature, leakage or lifespan.  It's used in aircraft tires mostly due to it's anhydrous characteristics.  Maybe if you expect your wheels to catch fire having an oxygen free fill might be an advantage but I'm thinking at that point it's a secondary benefit.  It's a schtick for the most part but at least the good news is there's really no downside to it.  Doesn't help and doesn't hurt.  I've used CO2 in tires and that works too, but it wasn't for any other reason than making the tires round just as air does.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'm currently running nitrogen in my six motorhome tires, but only because that's all the tire shop that installed the new tires uses and there was no extra charge for it. Any future additions will be ordinary 78% nitrogen air.

I know I'll get flamed for this but the last time I bought tires for my truck the tire shop filled them with nitrogen. They were filled to 35 lbs and it took 2 years for them to get down to 31 lbs. I've never gone longer than 6 months without having to add air my whole life. I can't say if was the Hankook tires or the nitrogen but as soon as I drove it out the truck rode way smoother than it had in the 38 years I've owned it.

The owner of the tire shop has been one of my best friends for 25 years. He is a big believer and now so am I. According to him the trouble with nitrogen is if the shop doesn't have a operational nitrogen generator in-house they're just filling with air. His unit defaults to air if it has a problem. Shops that have a broken generator usually never have them repaired. Plus the tire has to be filled with pure nitrogen. Some are not trained well. If they seat the tire with air then finish filling with nitrogen you may have 30% nitrogen in the tire. If they have 2 air lines running to the tire mounter that's probably what you are getting.

I know I'll get flamed for this but the last time I bought tires for my truck the tire shop filled them with nitrogen. They were filled to 35 lbs and it took 2 years for them to get down to 31 lbs. I've never gone longer than 6 months without having to add air my whole life. I can't say if was the Hankook tires or the nitrogen but as soon as I drove it out the truck rode way smoother than it had in the 38 years I've owned it.
I hope you won't consider it flames, but you have no evidence it was the nitrogen that reduced your air loss and not improved bead-to-wheel contact in the new tires or the new valves installed along with them. Both of which are far more likely to reduce air loss than the trivial difference in molecule size between pure nitrogen and blended nitrogen/oxygen (aka air). Nor does nitrogen in any way affect ride quality - that is strictly a matter of pressure.

On the upside, use of nitrogen is harmless (except sometimes to the wallet), so use whatever you feel most comfortable with. Because there is no downside other than a modest cost, tire shops and RV manufacturers may install nitrogen simply as a marketing thing.

TheBar said:

The owner of the tire shop has been one of my best friends for 25 years. He is a big believer and now so am I. According to him the trouble with nitrogen is if the shop doesn't have a operational nitrogen generator in-house they're just filling with air. His unit defaults to air if it has a problem. Shops that have a broken generator usually never have them repaired. Plus the tire has to be filled with pure nitrogen. Some are not trained well. If they seat the tire with air then finish filling with nitrogen you may have 30% nitrogen in the tire. If they have 2 air lines running to the tire mounter that's probably what you are getting.

If the tire is seated with air and then filled with near-pure nitrogen, the nitrogen percentage will be somewhere between 78% and the 95% percent most small volume concentrators are capable of. The exact concentration will depend on how much air is lost between seating and filling.

Well if Les Schwab isn't pushing the nitrogen bandwagon there likely wasn't enough ROI for them.

I don't know how your TST sensors are marked. I marked my EZZ with a paint marking pen. RF, RI, RO and so on.

TheBar said:
as soon as I drove it out the truck rode way smoother than it had in the 38 years I've owned it.
There is never a better day in a tire's life than when it's new.  Part of that is the stark contrast of the ride of the old tires and a few hours later the new.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires manly for high altitude aircraft because nitrogen is absolutely moisture free and won't freeze at altitude and cause an out of round and out of balance tire during landing.. It is also used in the landing gear struts and hydraulic door actuators for the same reason.>>>Dan

Nitrogen over hydraulic.. Hydraulic oil is like brake fluid, it has an affinity for moisture, so the system is sealed and pressurized with nitrogen to prevent freezing.>>>Dan 33 year A/P IA DOM.

One of the reasons the Mig 15 was so fast and maneuverable was the use of nitrogen, it was used for the operation of the brakes,, canopy,,gear,,ailerons,,rudder,,and stabilizer.. The F86 planes were heavy with all the hydraulics aboard,, When I had my aircraft repair facility I stocked high pressure nitrogen for the US owners of the Mig 15,, they had to plan there flight path for the inclusion of landing often to recharge the nitrogen system..>>>Dan

In high performance and high/low temperature extremes  Nitrogen has advantages.
Otherwise it is mostly sales talk...  Air is what 78% Nitrogen.

One of the sales talking point is that Nitrogen is a large molecule so it won't "Migrate" out of the tire as fast and leave you feeling  LOW (low tire pressure).  Well that may (or not) be true (I do not know not haveing tested it) but if that is the case then as you drive the nitrogen percentage in the tires will increase and even as you add more air to replace that lost via said "Molecular migration" the benefits will be had at no extra cost.

So If I get new car tires at Belle Tire.. They get filled (At not extra cost) with Nitrogen
But otherwise. Air  That includes the RV tires.  AIR. Even at Belle.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I hope you won't consider it flames, but you have no evidence it was the nitrogen that reduced your air loss and not improved bead-to-wheel contact in the new tires or the new valves installed along with them.
I've owned the 1973 truck since 1982. I put a new set on it then and at least every 7 years. So at least 6 sets on the same rims. The same tire shop put on the last 3 sets and I stood there and watched him mount my tires each time. No difference. IMO it is unlikely the 45 year old rims improved with age.

Science says nitrogen molecules are bigger and therefore less likely to leak. But no, personally I have no evidence to prove that. Tractor tires are often filled with water and they never leak unless damaged. I can't prove that either. This is a Chevy vs Ford discussion if you ignore science.

Back
Top Bottom