How safe is boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodpidgeon

As a newby/lurker researching for our trip next year I was wondering how safe it is for a couple of 60yrs+ fit active and sensible non US residents to park up for the night in an RV- legally of course- with limited knowledge of the local area?  I don't mean near city centers or RV parks, but in those get-away-from-it-all sort of places that look so stunning in the photo's I have seen, and the main reason for travelling round the country.  Also two other questions - is a 35'-38' Motorhome with, say, a 300hp Diesel  any more powerful or different to drive than one with a similar output gas engine?.  And finally could someone explain what to look for on a vehicles title?  I assume it is the same as our (British) V5, but I think your system is different to ours.  Many thanks in advance.

Be careful - some of those "get-away-from-it-all sort of places that look so stunning" might be private land and you might find yourself in trouble. OTOH there are many such places under the control of BLM (Bureau of Land Management), and they offer many opportunities for boondocking, but they're not all free. Use the forum Search feature to look for prior discussions on boondocking; Some of those discussions include helpful suggestions and links.

Check out our Destinations and RV parks message board; You'll find lots of boondocking-related discussions there.

There are also some relevant articles in the Places to stay area of our forum library.

Here's a link to the Recreation page of BLM's web site. You can click on a state to find camping/boondocking areas in the respective state.

Thanks Tom.  I have no intention of doing anything illegal and everything will be well researched but as I have found out during my extensive travels around the world that same world is full of not so nice characters and chancers, and felt that lone RV's might look very tempting to a certain kind, and I would hate to have our vacation ruined because we should have avoided certain places which weren't obvious to us 

.... could someone explain what to look for on a vehicles title?  I assume it is the same as our (British) V5, but I think your system is different to ours.

I've been away from the UK too long to know what a V5 is, but here in California the Certificate of Title is quite different from the old 'log book' I recall from our time in the UK. It's nothing more than a single sheet of official-looking paper listing:

Vehicle ID number.
Model year.
Make.
Plate number.
Body style/model.
Unladen weight.
Fuel (gas/diesel).
Transfer date (if used).
Fees paid.
Registration expiration date.
Year first sold.
Issue date.
Odometer date.
Odometer reading (mileage).
Registered owner(s) name/address.

Assuming you're looking to buy used, and if buying from a private party, you'll want to see proof that the seller is the person listed on the title (ask to see their drivers license with their photo on it), and verify that the VIN number on a small plate attached to the vehicle matches the VIN number on the certificate.

One additional thing to check (in California) is if it has a valid smog certificate. Here's more smog information from the CA DMV web site. Other states will have different requirements. A diesel motorhome will be exempt from smog testing in CA.

If buying new &/or from a dealer, they'll take care of all the details and will print temporary paperwork that they'll stick on the inside of the windshield pending the DMV mailing you the official title and registration tags.

Thanks again Tom

It looks like the same as a V5 to me so no surprises there then!

It looks like the same as a V5 to me so no surprises there then!

Except it might have Spanish as the second language instead of Welsh.

As I understand US lews, if the RV is encumbered, the Title will be held by the financial institution, so if the vendor has the Title, it is clear of liens.  In Canada, you have to do a lien search as the Title always stays with the owner.
    As for driving or handling differences, there are numerous differences, not so much between gas or diesel as between a front engined or a pusher.  First is noise, with a pusher the engine noise is behind you, so it is much quieter for the passengers, plus most diesels cruise at lower RPMs so that makes them a bit quieter.  I have found our DP to be much easier to steer as the weight is better distributed, and the motor is at the rear so not over the steering wheels.  Depending on the model that you end up buying, most DPs have 22.5 inch wheels as opposed to 19.5 on similar sized gas, which also improves ride and handling.
    The Library does contain many links to boondocking.  We traditionally boondock while travelling from one location to another, and stay at a campground to unhook the toad and explore.  We have never run into any problems boondocking, but there are many in the forum who say that they have, or who do not recommend it. 

woodpidgeon said:
  Also two other questions - is a 35'-38' Motorhome with, say, a 300hp Diesel any more powerful or different to drive than one with a similar output gas engine?. 

In regard to the difference between gas engines and diesel, you'll find the diesel to have more torque, thus more power than the gas engine.  This comes in handy when climbing mountains, especially out here in the west.  You might want to consider making sure the diesel, if you get one, has some sort of engine brake or retarder that helps with going down long grades.  It assists with braking and you don't need to rely on chassis brakes to help control your downhilll speed.

If you were going to get a 35-38' motorhome, I would think you might want to consider a larger diesel engine IE. a 330 or a 350 hp engine.  The diesel has a larger turning radius, thus it's easier to park and maneuver.

Marsha~

Possession of the title varies by state i bought the only rv i ever financed in Missouri and registered and titled it in Michigan. The bank in Missouri insisted i send them the title, because possession of the title is ownership(you can get a loan against it).  Michigan title lists the owner and any lien holders, but is just paper showing what it recorded by the Secretary of State.

So if you are buying it would do to research the state you are looking in.

woodpidgeon said:
Thanks Tom.  I have no intention of doing anything illegal and everything will be well researched but as I have found out during my extensive travels around the world that same world is full of not so nice characters and chancers, and felt that lone RV's might look very tempting to a certain kind, and I would hate to have our vacation ruined because we should have avoided certain places which weren't obvious to us 

I will give you one bad spot to boondock overnight -- highway rest areas.  It is one thing to stop at them for lunch, pitstops, or even a quick nap.  It is quite another to overnight in a lonely highway-accessable place with no security.  The State of California actually forbids camping in rest areas.

A lot of towns and cities forbid overnight camping on streets.  If I were you all I would stick to RV campgrounds, WalMart parking lots, and BLM land after checking in with the BLM's ranger station.  There a lot of cheap US Forest Service CGs around as well as county and water district CGs also.  Get a Trailer Life or Woodall's RV GG directory

Welcome! Sounds like a grand adventure! :) I'm not sure whether it matters, but FWIW, in addition to the above: At least in Arizona, as I understand it, the title certificate will state whether there is a lien against the vehicle. No matter who has the actual title certificate -- usually, the purchaser -- title may be "held" by the purchaser subject to the lien. Ordinarily, the lienholder doesn't actually hold title ("own") the vehicle. The best advice I've heard, in case of a private sale, is to walk the seller down to the nearest MVD office and obtain your new title free and clear of liens, if that is the case. No doubt you'll want to research in the appropriate state. Arizona: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/  (E.g., under FAQ.) (Note that husband and wife co-owners may be subject to the terms of community property laws in some states, depending partly on exactly how the title is made out to them.)

... in case of a private sale, is to walk the seller down to the nearest MVD office and obtain your new title free and clear of liens...

Good advice, and that's exactly what I did on one of the two occasions I bought from a private party. The other time, I bought a junker and didn't worry about it.

Note that husband and wife co-owners may be subject to the terms of community property laws in some states, depending partly on exactly how the title is made out to them.

Another good point. California is a community property state and here's a Wikipedia link for the benefit of woodpidgeon. Here in CA, if the title says Joe Blogs or Mary Blogs, either party can sign away the title, whereas Joe Blogs and Mary Blogs would require both signatures.

Woodpidgeon,

I agree with others here that if is quite safe for people to spend the night in their RV in most places where it is allowed around the USA. There are many public parks and campground also that are very reasonably priced and which have varying amenities to offer and which are in very scenic locations. There are many small towns along the less traveled routes that have city parks in which RVs are allowed to spend the night. And many stores also allow an RV to stay for the night in their parking lots.

Let me suggest that you visit the page http://www.adventure.1tree.net/rv-living/lifestyle/the-british-perspective and read of the experiences of another citizen of the UK who owns an RV in the USA and who spends several months at a time in this country touring by RV.

We found boondocking to be quite safe. I don't think you have to know the locale - just have an eye for disreputable looking types & activities. Certainly there is the occasional crime against RVs, but it is not a common thing at all. So rare we make a big fuss about it when t happens.

Thanks folks

This sort of info is gold when working in an unknown environment and it is a great help putting the other halfs mind at rest.  The reason I asked about the diesel is that my thoughts were in keeping  with pretty much what has been said, but I noticed a trend starting towards FRED's and it got me curious.

Tom

You are showing your age a bit with your comment about the Welsh language.  I recently brought a domestic appliance and the instruction booklet was 1/4" thick, written in12 different languages of which about 10 pages were in (broken?) english.  We are just a tad multi-ethnic nowadays!!

I recently brought a domestic appliance and the instruction booklet was 1/4" thick, written in12 different languages of which about 10 pages were in (broken?) english.  We are just a tad multi-ethnic nowadays!

And also influenced by the EEU I suppose. I recall dealing with lots of specs for mil-aero parts written in what used to be called "the 3 main languages of Europe" - English, French and German. Can't imagine all that stuff translated into 12 languages.

OTOH we're headed in a similar direction, with consumer electronics user manuals written in several languages.

The "broken" English is probably due to machine translation from the original Chinese.
but it also saves on printing because 1 book can go in the box no matter where it's headed.

Soon you won't get a manual the same as industrial parts i get now the just have a little piece of paper with the web address of the manual. no printing at all.

How safe  boondocking is depends a lot on what "Boon"you "Dock"in.. That is where you stay

Most of the places I know of to boondock, you are fairly safe to very safe

Some places however... Well let's just say I choose not to park there

Bottom line is part of the Michigan Motto "Look around you"

And after looking... If you don't feel good about where you are.... MOVE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom