Need water filter that removes AZ minerals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just as I said before get a couple filters like Berni, Reiter, or myself has and give it a try.  If it works for us it should work for you.

Smoky said:
OK, one more time.

Anyone have a suggestion for a simple filter arrangement WHERE TASTE DOES NOT MATTER, but protection of the coach does matter.

I'd like to be able to use Western water for the toilet, the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and for washing the coach exterior.

What is the most cost effective way of doing that and the hell with taste.  :D

Smoky

OK, one more time. Taste does matter (to a degree)  because if you like drinking it, it will be OK for your coach. I still recommend my 2 filter setup; sediment and KDF. Haven't had a water/mineral deposit in either of our two coaches. Last time I will say this.

Washing the exterior is something else. I've used the Mr. Clean Wipeless Washing system (?) and it seems to work eliminating streaks without toweling down.

Bernie:  Lad, you're not paying attention.  Taste doesn't matter, because in AZ I buy bottled water for personal consumption.  That's a really key point to this question.  Filters that are designed to improve taste just plain aren't necessary, if I'm not drinking the stuff.  The ONLY issue that I am trying to address is plumbing protection.

--pat

Smoky said:
Anyone have a suggestion for a simple filter arrangement WHERE TASTE DOES NOT MATTER, but protection of the coach does matter.

Use a simple sediment filter on the water hose and use a Brita water jug in the fridge.  Safe and simple.

Phil

Pat said:
Bernie:  Lad, you're not paying attention.  Taste doesn't matter, because in AZ I buy bottled water for personal consumption.  That's a really key point to this question.  Filters that are designed to improve taste just plain aren't necessary, if I'm not drinking the stuff.  The ONLY issue that I am trying to address is plumbing protection.

Pat

I'm not trying to get into a word game with you but please reread what I said. I was saying that if it tastes good you will have no problem with your plumbing. I don't care what you buy to drink, but you won't have a problem with your plumbing if the water has the bad taste filtered out because you will have also removed any of the items that "might" cause problems with the RV's plumbing.

Bernie: 

Oh.

I knew that.

Good point about taste being the test.

I like the idea of getting a sediment filter and living with that.  I'm also asking The Water Store about a discontinued 15" softener tank he thinks he might still be able to get.  I don't use much water in here.

--pat

Bernie:

I appreciate your point that if water tastes good then one can be assured one has water that will not harm the coach.

That appreciated, my point is that I would first like to find out if there is a filter solution that does NOT improve taste but DOES make the water safe for the coach interior and exterior.  If this also ends up being cheaper than many of the filters that improve taste, i.e if I can save money by not worrying about taste, then I prefer to save the money. 

If the most cost effective filter system also makes the water taste good, fine, I will be happy to buy it.

Smoky said:
I appreciate your point that if water tastes good then one can be assured one has water that will not harm the coach.

That appreciated, my point is that I would first like to find out if there is a filter solution that does NOT improve taste but DOES make the water safe for the coach interior and exterior.  If this also ends up being cheaper than many of the filters that improve taste, i.e if I can save money by not worrying about taste, then I prefer to save the money. 

If the most cost effective filter system also makes the water taste good, fine, I will be happy to buy it.

Smoky

You wouldn't know if the filters made the water taste good under your scenario ;D  I think you would spend a lot of time and money trying to find a filter system that makes the water safe for the coach but doesn't improve taste.

My filters cost $30 for the KDF, lasts 1-2 years. The sediment filter cost 2 for $5. Pretty inexpensive. However, if you wash the coach with that water, it will leave streaks if you don't wipe. Your coach pipes and nozzles will stay clog free.

I'm tired of repeating this so many times. No more replies.

Bernie:

I am sorry you had to wear yourself out.  Pat and I both understood your point at the outset, but we just wanted to hear also about any tasteless systems as we are people of poor taste!  ;D

I feel certain we will end up with the system that you and Ron have (I think they are identical) and you will be welcome on our coach at any time for a refreshing glass of water.  Also have a very choice selection of single malts if that is of interest.  ;)

Smoky:  Your single malts remind me of when I first got my Chinook Destiny.  It has a nifty outside bbq-blender-audio-visual center plus an outside shower.  I thought I'd be very popular at Bears tailgate parties running beer from the fresh water tank through the outside shower and mixing drinks in the blender.  Nice music on the stereo, TV hooked up for the game.  There is a hole in the bumper for a bbq, even.  Never got around to it, though. 

Probably forget this whole business of clean water.

Or, I had a friend who thought running gin through the water system would preclude the need for antifreeze in the Chicago winters.

--pat

Pat said:
I thought I'd be very popular at Bears tailgate parties running beer from the fresh water tank through the outside shower and mixing drinks in the blender.

Pat, I knew there was something about you that was our connection  ;D  Haven't been to a Bears tailgate party in a long time.

Or, I had a friend who thought running gin through the water system would preclude the need for antifreeze in the Chicago winters.

Nothing precludes the need for antifreeze in Chicago winters. That's why we live in AZ ;D ;D

I ran into a couple AZ snowbirds in the park here today.  One guy uses, in order of appearance, sediment filter, carbon filter, water softener (the softener in AZ only).  He has a nifty trick.  He said the CampingWorld filter stand is not good, so he puts his filter cartridges in those orange warning cones.  He cuts off the tops.  The wide bases stand well.  If nothing else, it looks cool. 

The other AZ winter resident uses nothing but a sediment filter, and he doesn't change it as much as his friend changes those three systems.  I need to stop by and chat a little more with the single filter user.

They got the sediment filters and cartridges at Home Depot.

Both of these fellows buy bottled water for personal consumption while in AZ.  I think they live in Yuma.

Oh, and the guy with the three water treatment systems also has two gauges on the connection to the faucet.  The first gauge shows the pressure coming from the faucet, and the second one shows the pressure going into the filters and toward the house.  He said he got them at a water filter store here in Grants Pass.

His sediment filter has a knob on the top of the cartridge.  Not sure what that's about.

--pat

My single Amtek sediment filter has a button on the top to release any air in the cartridge, perhaps that's what looks like a knob.

Pat:

ROFL at your post about the Chinook Destiny.  That post is one I will save.  ;D

Please let me know what you finally decide for filtering.  Likely what you decide on will be the right one for me.

Smoky:  When I get to Mesa, one of my first tasks will be to go in to Home Depot for a sediment filter and cannister.  I won't have to use the MH for the first month I'm there, so I have a little time.  I'm mulling over getting a KDF (don't know what that is) filter that has been recommended.  I'm skipping the water softener.  I think it's cumbersome probably unnecessary.  And expensive.

One RVer here just does the sediment, doesn't change it overly often, and is quite satisfied.  I like his attitude.

--pat

Pat said:
I'm mulling over getting a KDF (don't know what that is) filter that has been recommended.

Pat

The KDF is a filtering material that removes harmful materials, bacteria, etc. All the things that you don't want going thru your pipes, coach or body ;D By the way, I know you are insistent on drinking bottled water, but you might find the taste, purity and cost of the AZ water filtered thru the sediment and KDF filter to be superior to bottled. YMMV

Pat:

What campground in Mesa are you headed for?

I am still searching for a winter resting spot.  I was seriously looking into RV Resort at Apache Junction near Mesa, but I found out today there is a waiting list for people with dogs.  Also every spot has trees and I need dish access for Internet and TV.

Smoky said:
What campground in Mesa are you headed for?

I am still searching for a winter resting spot.? I was seriously looking into RV Resort at Apache Junction near Mesa, but I found out today there is a waiting list for people with dogs.? Also every spot has trees and I need dish access for Internet and TV.

Smokey,
My aunt owns an RV Park in Apache Junction.  While VIP  it is a small  simple park with mostly winter visitors there are some year round  folks.  The park is on Ironwood at Main.  Mary is the manager and her  phone number is  480 983 0847.  We stay there on occasion and they do allow dogs and there are few trees.  There are not many amenities but the location is good.  The last time I inquired the annual rate was around $1300. Don't know the monthly.  They do have a few spots available. You might consider staying in a park for only a month and driving around the  area to see if another place is more to your liking.  We stayed out in the desert near Quartzsite at a park called Desert Gold in Brenda for a couple of season's.  It was neat but way out there and far from a decent market.  I did love the walks in the desert however and the pool aerobics.

Betty

Betty:  When I reserved my 6 months with Mary, I got the impression that they don't encourage dogs.  She asked if I had a pet, and I mentioned Missy the cat.  She said they didn't object to cats, or something to that effect.  My brother and sister-in-law drove out to VIP a few weeks ago and were very impressed. 

Smoky:  Another place that has both pullthroughs and lots to rent is Venture Out.  It's in Mesa about 10 miles west of AJ in the southwest quadrant of Main & Higley.  If you have mapping software, it's the place that looks like a spider web.

--pat

Thanks Betty and Pat!  This is the kind of help we are looking for.

Our goal is a dog friendly place, with clear skies(no trees or buildings or hills), activities for the elderly (yes I admit to 60s being old and not young :D), and a pool, and a decent price.  Hope this is not asking too much.  I will give Mary a call tomorrow.  We are in transit today to Kalispell.  BTW Betty, that is a VERY good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom