Need water filter that removes AZ minerals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coyote Ranch as well as other RV parks in Yuma meet all those requirements you mentioned.? Sam will be heading up the quilt group at Coyote Ranch this year I think.? The pool is very nice heated and clean as well as having a Jacuzzi. Suffleboard league, tennis courts, amoung other activities available.? Oh and a clear view of the southern sky.? 928-345-3573. Dog and Cat friendly.

Pat said:
Betty:? When I reserved my 6 months with Mary, --pat

So Pat,
This means you booked with VIP?  Great.  We'll get to meet you as I go into Mesa/Apache Junction once a month to help out my aunt.  My next trip there will likely be end of October.  I'll look you up.
Betty

Betty:

I'm signed up at VIP for November through April.  I'll be house sitting in October.  I do plan to stop in to say hi to Mary and to see the park sometime in October.  Since I'm going to be quite anxious to see my new home, it'll probably be soon after I get to AZ. 

I'm not sure about the pool, but I understand there are several regular activities at the park.  Some of them, like shuffleboard, require eye-hand coordination, which I sorely lack, but the one about the bbq falls within my skill set.

Oh, by the way, do you know if the park has a laundromat, or where one is in AJ?  My brother took a whole lot of notes when he was there, but he forgot that. 

--pat

Pat said:
I'm not sure about the pool, but I understand there are several regular activities at the park.?

Oh, by the way, do you know if the park has a laundromat, or where one is in AJ??--pat

Pat,
The VIP park does not have a pool but they do have a laundry room.? They have lots of meals, park breakfasts, dinners, potlucks etc.
Betty

Venture Out has two huge heated pools and several hot tubs or something.  But the rent is astronomical, and the pullthroughs for temporary rentals are just awful.  They weren't built for slideouts.  They are nothing but diagonal, side by side parking places with narrow cement sidewalks between each site.  Worst I've ever seen.  I heard they're planning to upgrade the sites and then charge resort prices. 

--pat

I'm here at VIP.  NO TREES.  The only worry I have is the fluctuating power.  When my air conditioner was running most of today, the incoming voltate was bouncing all over.  Now that the air is off, the power seems to be sticking to 115 incoming volts.  It's as though the post can't deal with something drawing from it.  It was going from 107 to 113 with the compressor on.  That said, my brother's house suffered three outages by the time I left at noon today.  So it doesn't seem isolated to AJ.  He's in Mesa.

I bought a digital multimeter the other day.  I wonder if that would tell me whether there's a problem at the post, or if my air conditioner is driving the supply crazy.  There is a detectable change in the blower speed in the a/c when the voltage fluctuates.

--pat

Pat,

It could be, if you were running your air conditioners, everyone else was running theirs as well. :) That could easily cause some overload problems on the grid if it wasn't adequate. Then of course there's the metropolitan area around you! :)

Jim:? Eggzackly.? The park is still almost empty, but I'm right next to the park buildings.  I think it's the metro area, though.  That's why they charge a premium for power between noon and 8pm every day here.? An electrician came out this morning at maybe 10am and pronounced the post just fine.? But when I got home this afternoon, my voltage meter read 102 at one point.? I quickly turned off the air.? Burn my stuff out.? For the two days I've been here, I noticed the meter starts to rise from about 5:30pm, significantly after 6pm, and it's leveled out a bit by 9.?

There's no 110 plug on the post, so I'm going to get an adapter tomorrow that will convert the 30amp to 110.? I have a digital multimeter, but I want to test my 110 digital voltage meter on the post.? I'll plug it in and sit there for a half hour or so in the heat of the afternoon and watch for fluctuations.? I'll have to run the generator to keep the cat alive inside the MH.? Do fridge, a/c, and converter sound about right?? I can't think of anything else using 110.? I don't even turn on the computer or a couple battery rechargers during the day.

I think only 115 comes in from the post.? 117 max late at night.? Figure a volt for the converter, 3 for the fridge, and 5 for the a/c.? So when I was showing only 102, the available voltage must have dropped to 110 at best.?

I took the voltage meter to an unoccupied trailer and to an empty lot where the post had a 110 plug, and both registered 115 this afternoon.? Maybe the power to this post is the only one affected.? I also got 115 on a plug outside the rec room.? None of these test sites had anything drawing on them.

If it's an inside problem, any suggestions what it might be?? I had no trouble plugged into the 30amp plug at my brother's yesterday.? The incoming power in Oregon was 120, so I didn't drop below 107; although, I could tell when others were drawing on the grid.? People tend to think the post has all the power for which it is wired.?

--pat

Pat,

Actually your 30amp is 110V. You can check between the hot and neutral and read the same voltage as any 15 or 20 amp outlet. Hot and neutral will be the two flat slots with ground being the round opening. Actually, hot to ground will also give you the same reading. The 110V on the post should give you the same reading almost. :) It's probably on another phase.

Fridge, AC, and converter should not be a problem with good power. 115 to 120 should be about norm. When you get down to 108 it's time to turn off the A/C.  I doubt if the power to your post is the only one affected. If you had no problems at your brother's then I doubt it's your coach. You obviously are aware that, just because a service is wired for 110, you may not really have it!!

Jim:  There's no 110 plug on this post.  Just a 30amp and a 50amp.  Both look old.  I bought an adapter today so I can plug my volt meter into the 30amp plug.  The large display is easier to monitor over an hour than a multimeter would be. 

Yesterday voltage dropped to 102.  Today I didn't allow it to drop.  When it gets below 105, I turn off the compressor.  Needless to say, it gets hot in here with just the fan going.  I'm getting a little bored sitting here from noon to about 7pm watching the voltage to keep the appliances from frying and still keep the cat cool.  Fortunately I'll be house sitting in October and then the weather should be cool when I return here for a few months.  I don't actually have to look at the meter.  The air conditioner makes a definite slowing sound when it's losing power. 

I did plug the meter into an empty park model plug and into another power post, and both registered a steady 115 volts in the heat of the afternoon. Interestingly, I experienced a significant 3 to 5 volt increase at 6:18 two evenings in a row now.  It continued to fluctuate at a higher level after that. 

I'm going to post a separate topic asking about the adviseability of an autoformer.  The only discussions I read on the internet tended to be from a group sponsored by CampingWorld - the autoformer vendor.

--pat

Today I bought the Culligan unit at CampingWorld.? It was the only one that even mentioned sediment.? CW had charcoal and white filters, so I bought the white, which was more dense and seems to be associated more with sediment.? The tank came with a charcoal, which I bagged and tossed in a drawer until I find somebody who uses them.? I tried the system from Home Depot, but it require pipes, didn't connect directly to hoses, and said not to use it outside.?

There was an immediate improvement in the taste of the water with this Culligan unit, so I guess it's filtering something.? The system was easy to set up.? They even supplied the teflon tape; although, I keep a roll on hand.?

The filter holder is 3 1/2" in diameter, so I'm going to get a cement block tomorrow and stand the filter holder in one of the block's holes.  I think that will make an adequately stable stand. 

--pat

Pat:

I decided to wait until i get to AZ to select a filter.  I figured the folks there would know what is best for their area.

I am curious about something though.  My coach came with a 3 1/2 inch diameter filter already installed in the utility bay.  do you think the answer might simply be replacing whatever filter I have (spares purchased from my RV dealer) with the Culligan you purchased?  Wonder if it would fit my filter tank or whatever you call the thingie that the filter goes inside.

Smoky:  Nobody at CampingWorld Mesa knew anything about sediment or Arizona water or much of anything about their filter choices.  You are On Your Own.  Well, I take that back.  They were able to find the aisle with the filters.  Both employees practically ran away when I kept asking which ones filtered the sediment and chemicals from Arizona water.  I took the Culligan because it had the word "sediment" listed in the things it filters.  This assumes, though, that you dump the black carbon filter supplied with the cartridge and buy the denser white filters.  I found little help at Home Depot also, and, in fact, their stuff says it's not for outdoor use.  You find that out after you make the purchase, take the item home, because the pamphlet is inside the cartridge wrapped in the package.

I feel at least I have something on there to protect the plumbing.  I went back to buying bottled water for the cat (hey, she doesn't like Gatoraid like I do).

--pat

Smoky,

I think the filter you already have will do the job and if you want I am almost positive a filter cartridge like I showed you will fit in your filter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom