RV Caravans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthandken CDN

Can anyone suggest a RV Caravan booking company other than Adventure Caravans?  I have looked at Adventure but right now, they don't offer anything that we are interested in.  This would be for trips either in the US or Canada.  Thanks.

The big three caravan companies are Adventure, Fantasy, and Tracks. There is a company called Explore Canada Caravans but I don;t know anything about them.

You might check your manufacturers club, the Good Sam Club, Woodalls, FMCA etc.  We went on a Woodalls caravan years ago and had a great time.

Ruth,

May I ask if there's a specific reason you want to go on a caravan when traveling in the U.S.?  In both the U.S. and Canada we travel on our own because we have more flexibility.  If we're going north and find something of interest in the south or the weather changes, then we do a 180 and go south.  You can't do that with a caravan.  Also, if you find someplace you really like and want to stay longer, you don't normally just drop out of a caravan.  On the other hand, people do have legitimate reasons (such as health issues) where they are more comfortable going with a group.  Sometimes they just want to make new friends and that's okay too.  All that said, we wouldn't go to someplace like Mexico except in a caravan where there's safety in numbers.  Some of us here on the Forum occasionally travel together because we're friends and want to do so, but not normally a structured caravan.  By the way, a number of years ago we "did" the Copper Canyon with Tracks when we were able to put the RV on a piggyback train because that was the only way to do it.  We liked Tracks.

ArdraF

Thanks for all the answers.  The reason we are interested in a Caravan is because we are really new at this RV thing, and thought that if we ran into any kind of difficulties there would be others there with much more experience than ourselves.  Just gave us a really 'warm and cozy' feeling.  LOL

Well said Ardra, Donna and I seem to like to doddle when there is not supposed to be anything to see, and we pass by lots of "must stops" because I hate to que for anything.  I do a fair amount of research through books, or the net and then decide on a general route.  If we hear about a scenic or interesting diversion, we have the flexibility to adjust.  I really won't take a bus tour, I have resisted taking a cruise, and except for maybe Mexico, I would not consider a caravan throughout most areas of North America.

Ed

PS: While typing I see that you posted again.  One of the best parts of RVing, is that if you do need help, just ask the nearest RVer.  It is a family, and most of us will drop almost anything we are doing to help out someone who needs it.  I know I've been the recipient of lots of help on the road, and I've given lots of help to people.  My stock comment is that I don't want any thanks, all I ask for is that they help someone else when they need help.

Ruth,

What Ed said is so true.  If you're in a campground and have a problem there's almost sure to be someone who knows how to fix the problem.  All you have to do is look confused or forlorn and someone will probably ask if you need help.  ;)

So, unless you have some compelling reason to do otherwise, be like the baby birds.  Fly out of the nest and never look back.  Going solo gives you the chance to stop and smell the roses or see that old house that looks so interesting or stop at that museum that sounds neat.  You can't do those things if you're on a schedule or traveling with others who don't want to stop.  Most of us are wanderers who don't want to miss anything and RVing is what gives us the opportunity to fulfill that need.  This country is chock-a-block full of neat places to visit so why not start wandering???

ArdraF

P.S.  Ed, I love that word "doddle."  Haven't heard it in years, but it's certainly applicable in this case.  ;)

I agree with Ardra and recommend leaving the nest and adventuring out on your own.  Much nicer to travel on your own schedule. 

Last spring, we left Marathon Key knowing that we had about 3 weeks to make it to the Rally in Nashville.  There were a couple of days that we only drove the rig less than 100 miles.  We'd get up, decide if we were going to drive, or toad, decide on a route, and we saw spots that would never be on anyone's "must see" list.  But we had a great time, saw lots of northern Florida, Alabama and Tennessee, we had a great time.  We stayed at a lot of State Parks and they each offer something unique and usually something enjoyable.

While Sue and I were "on our own" on most trips including doing Alaska and Atlantic Canada we joined a caravan a couple of years ago in Mexico.

We enjoy traveling at our own pace as well but our Mexican adventure was a very enjoyable trip because of all the friends we made and the social life of a caravan.

Re. Doddle.
Sounds like I'm nit-picking. But why not ? Doddle = Really easy, "It's a doddle"
While, Doodle = A slow meander, "taking a doodle" " doodling about"
I'm not a nitpicker, I'm a nitpickers son. I'll sit picking nits till the nitpicker comes. (paraphrase)
Luv it
Derek  ::)

Derek, it's all ok as long as you don't diddle your doodle while you're doddling.  And just how many nits are on the head of that pin ;D  or is that knits?

Ya know, I remember being really apprehensive, worried and unsure when we started out with the coach.  And, I do think there is something to be said for traveling with another couple or even in a caravan to get your feet wet.  There is someone to help work out the situation if you run into something you are either unsure of; or a problem pops up. 

However, there can be some frustration scenarios, as well, with traveling with a caravan or large group.  If you are new at parking the coach, you will have tons of people trying to help you ....that can be stressful.  Or if you do have some problem, say the refrigerator doesn't work, you'll get tons of suggestions which may or may not fix the problem. 

I'm not sure I can explain this adaquetly, but one of the things I felt when we went from a slide in truck camper to the big motorhome was that it was beyond my ability to handle.  With the truck camper someone could help us just push it off the road if we had trouble.  It would fit into the local car dealer/repair shop if something went wrong.  Solving the problems seemed simplier, whereas the coach seemed "massive/unweilding" to me.  If we had trouble, we had to locate a "cat engine" dealer or a "freightliner" dealer.  If we had a flat tire, someone has to bring it out to our location.  It just may be my personality, but stuffed like that loomed over me for a while.  We've had the coach for close to 6 years now and most of that anxiety is gone; but every once in a while I yearn for the "simplier" days.  However, after a few seconds of remembering how little that bathroom was in the truck camper, the yearning subsides..... ;)

I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing.  I've always thought a caravan would be fun.  If you want to do a caravan, do it.  You'll meet lots of great people; you can just relax and enjoy yourself.  You won't have to worry about making campground reservations, making the right turns to get to your destination or even trying to decide what to see and do.  You'll have help for the coach and all the support you need while making a lot of new friends doing it.

Marsha~

Marsha,

That is so very interesting!  Knowing how much you wanted to go fulltiming, it surprises me that you had such trepidations.  We all approach things so very differently!  Back in 1972 we moved up from a VW Westphalia camper to our first class C (it seemed huge at 18 feet) and left one week later on an around-the-U.S. summer-long trip.  I don't think it ever occurred to either one of us that it wouldn't be great, that there would be problems, or that we couldn't handle anything that arose.  We just got a lot of maps, packed up, and took off!  What a wonderful time we had on that trip!  And here we are 36 years later, still doing our own thing.  In all those years we've only been on one caravan - the one through the Copper Canyon because that was the only way we could do it.  Yes, we made some great long-term friends on that caravan, but would you believe we actually left the caravan one or two days early?  We wanted to see something that wasn't on their itinerary so we dropped out and returned to the U.S. on our own (it was quieter and safer back then) several days later.  Had it been earlier during the caravan it might have been more of a dilemma because caravans cost a lot, but we didn't feel it was any great loss to leave it at that point.

Sure, we've had some problems along the way - some breakdowns and even a broken arm - but you just get the repairs done like you would at home.  Maybe less conveniently because you're in a strange locale, but we all do what needs to be done.  This is after all, the United States (and/or Canada) and it isn't like we're in the wilderness without tons of goods and services at our disposal.  We're really never very far from help these days.

ArdraF

Ardra,

;D you didn't know I was a control freak, did ya?  ;)  However, I'm much more comfortable with the coach now and would tackle most any trip without hesitation; caravan or not.

It took me a few years to become comfortable.  It's a relatively new adventure for us.  You went from a VW Westphalia camper in 1972 to a Class C that was 18 feet; not a big difference in size.  We went from a truck camper in 2003 to a diesel pusher at 35 feet....a "quantium leap" for us.  We by-passed the Class C stuff all together and went right to a big one.

I do think people have different comfort levels with differnent new things they are learning/experiencing.  I'm really comfortable getting on a young green broke horse without any hesitation and training him to be a gentle well-mannered saddle horse.  I don't even think about that process; but had to work my way into handling the DP.

Marsha~

Marsha,

And you wouldn't ever see me getting on a green horse!  ;)  I've only been on a couple of horses and that's definitely not in my comfort level!  ::)  But put me behind the wheel and that's a 'nother whole story.

ArdraF

Marsha/CA said:
Ya know, I remember being really apprehensive, worried and unsure when we started out with the coach.  And, I do think there is something to be said for traveling with another couple or even in a caravan to get your feet wet.  There is someone to help work out the situation if you run into something you are either unsure of; or a problem pops up. 

I'm not sure I can explain this adaquetly, but one of the things I felt when we went from a slide in truck camper to the big motorhome was that it was beyond my ability to handle.  With the truck camper someone could help us just push it off the road if we had trouble.  It would fit into the local car dealer/repair shop if something went wrong.  Solving the problems seemed simplier, whereas the coach seemed "massive/unweilding" to me. 
Marsha~

You know Marsha, you hit the nail on the head...I am apprehensive and a little worried.  This big 38 foot MH is very intimidating.  Part of the problem I think is that we are not super duper handy people.  I am the technical one in the family, a computer geek, and figuring out the gadgets, and how things work.  My DH is somewhat technically challenged.  He is not a handyman, but if give instructions and/or directions he can fix things.  It just seems like alot of the RV'ers in this forum, seem to know instinctively what is wrong is something doesn't work.  Or at least they know that it could be this or could be that.  Not us !!!!!  We will be travelling with 2 big dogs and getting stranded somewhere because of a breakdown, scares the be-jiggers out of me.  I am signing up with Coach Net as I read that they are a good company so that does ease my mind (a little).
I suppose that alot of you started out this way and learn as you go along.  And as you say, we are in either the US and Canada so help is available. 
After reading Betty Brewers wonderful blog of her trip down East, we are thinking of taking one of Adventure's Caravans down there next summer.  Something we both have wanted to do for along time. 
This forum is a God send.  The information and advice in here is phenomenal.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't check out what's new.  Thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice and suggestions.

Carson,

ROFL!!!  Now, wouldn't that be a sight to see!

Ruth,

Yes, most of us started out knowing next to nothing about what we were doing RV-wise.  Some are more handy than others, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Not everyone can be an engineer!  Use all your Geek-ness and read those manuals and this forum.  A lot of it is just common sense and taking your time and not getting into a panic when something does happen.  That's just as it is in your everyday life, just in a different setting.  You'll be just fine because you have the desire to do it.

ArdraF

Beth,

You know in a couple of years this stuff will be "Old hat" for you.  You will get more and more comfortable and the only way to do that is to get out and use the coach.  Coach Net is GREAT.  There are other services out there, but we have found Coach Net to be ready and available to help us out. 

We are somewhat mechanical; but for almost everything on the coach that needs repairing/maintaining we take it to the shop.  Neither of us want to change oil, search out a problem or whatever.  We are willing to pay to have someone else get dirty and fix things; and have budgeted for the added expense.  Plus by the time we try to figure out what is wrong and make the repairs, a technician can have it done and we are out the door.

Here are a some things that help keep our minds at ease with our "motorbeast":  ;D

*We have regular maintenance done on the coach according the manuals, even if it seems unnecessary.
*We keep an eye on tire pressures and tire age/wear.
*We take our time parking and setting up at the campground; same with camp departure.
*Whenever we stop; both of us check all around the coach and the tow car for anything unusual.
*When we travel secondary highways, I always check the "Truckers Manual" for bridge restrictions and low clearance.
*We travel with two cell phone plans.
*Both of us drive the coach and are comfortable with it.

This RV forum is phenomenal, with a wealth of information.  But remember they have all "been there...done that".  Some of the people can fix anything without ever seeing the problem and I'm delighted they are here to help out.

Enjoy that coach!!

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom