Logitech "Harmony RF Wireless Extender"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anken

Hi,
I haven't found anything on this subject so far and hope that it's not redundant.
A number of years ago our Motosat receiver remote control used radio frequency. We were able to control our bedroom TV with this remote even when the doors were closed. It was great.
A few years later we had to upgrade (new and improved?) the Motosat and the Directv receivers. Now the remote uses only infrared. There's no more control in the other room and we have to keep the cabinet door open slightly in order to use the remote.
I have seen a device by Logitech. I think it's called the "Harmony RF Wireless Extender"  It comes with the remote and changes the from the IR to the RF.
It's pricey but I think, I could get it for less on Ebay.
Also, I have heard the Radio Shack has a similar device for less, but I have been unable to find it.
I wonder if the radio frequency extender works well. I sounds great, but I'm not sure if it really does what it promises to do...
Got any opinions?  Thanks :-\

Radio Shack does indeed have some devices like that.. One that I got at R.S. Some years ago is a cable extender. I put a "Power coupler" in the antenna lead at the television and a "Power splitter" at the device to be controlled and can be on one floor of my house and control a recorder on the other floor.  Truly works great, no RF, just the antenna cable  The electronics are simple and the odds of failure of the inserter/splitter are low. 

There have been RF-Extenders out for at least 20 years, most of them work well too..However there is a possible problem with RF-extenders,  Odds are low but.. If both you and your next site neighbor (Or at least one real close) have the same RF-Extender and same Sat-TV receiver........................... He can control your Receiver

(I recall a Dennis the Menace TV episode (LONG TIME AGO) where Mr. Wilson got a new TV with a remote and Dennis got his hands on a matching remote)

There are lots of those devices available and many are not expensive. The Terk Leapfrog is one such - see http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technologies-LF-IRX-Leapfrog-Extender/dp/B000069EV0

If you Google IR Extender you will find numerous others.

Our coach is factory wired with an IR extender system that mounts IR receivers near each tv and forwards the signal direct to the various devices, e.g. tvs, DVD, satellite box, etc. Works like a charm.

Thank you both for writing back.
Wow!  I had no idea that there are so many different RF extenders on the market. I really like the Logitech Harmony because I have always been happy with my Logitech products.  The idea of only one remote device is appealing also.  It's just a little pricey but if it's long lasting quality it might be worth it and I was wondering if anybody is using the Harmony Extender..
Again, thanks for writing!

Thanks!  It's good to know that you're happy with your Harmony Remotes. 
Will search ebay for the Harmony Extender/ Remote to see what I can find....

Back
Top Bottom