WilleyB' VXL2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WilleyB

First Change.
Well our little home on wheels is an ex rental rig. It showed some wear, but like all rental rigs one size fits all. Don't get me wrong, it was in good shape but in need of some work to make it our own special rig. They had put new flooring in it, but it was of poor quality. On the inside of the  the cupboards was one big empty space, lots of height for stacking things, but not very convenient.  I just plug away at it as ideas come to mind or a need arises. The paneling on the dinette was of that printed on wood grain stuff that had scuff marks on it, just not my cup of tea so plans to replace were already in mind. The marks can be seen in the photo
The first change was the inverter, the rear dinette seat was the best place for it as the batteries are in a compartment directly behind. Two changes necessary,first was a hole in the dinette paneling for the inverter face and readout. Next a mount to keep it off the floor to improve heat dissipation. Then add a power cord to the bottom of the inverter and another mating cable  to connect to the power dist. panel (this had to be re-modified later). Mount the remote On/Off switch for the inverter.  Next add a Dock/Boondock switch. This switch was not a good idea, lost two inverters with it and it now serves only to cut the power to the converter when on the road.  These switches were mounted above the clothes closet doors along with the Battery disconnect. All that was left to do was mount the inverter in place
Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• Panel Cutout.JPG
    Panel Cutout.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Cutout-2.JPG
    Cutout-2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Mounting Base.JPG
    Mounting Base.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Invereter Modification.JPG
    Invereter Modification.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Power Dist Cable.JPG
    Power Dist Cable.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Dock-Boondock Switch.JPG
    Dock-Boondock Switch.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Mounted in Place.JPG
    Mounted in Place.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Completed.JPG
    Completed.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 81
  Willey, sorry no pics as the rig is at the cottage awaiting our departure to Florida.  Our solution to the extra space was to add a shelf.  We got shelf clamps at Lee Valley (Halifax location at Bayer's Lake), it was the only place we found this type.  They screw to the wall with a diamond shape extension on the top and a track on the bottom, then another diamond shape bottom goes up the track, and screws into the top, it gave us a whole new shelf by using a piece of shelving unit bought at the hardware store.

Well since my mods are an ongoing thing I best try to get this up to date. Our little  rig is an ex rental so it shows some scars.  Not being satisfied with the poor job they did of replacing the flooring before we took delivery, and a mushroom growing from a crack in the kitchen floor covering I decided to replace it all. I also figured since it had to come apart I might as well rebuild the dinette which bore a few scratches and scrapes

The flooring
(1) Kitchen area after removing mushrooms and floor covering

(2) Kitchen with new flooring and trim. the old trim went to the garbage

(3) Mess of floor covering dinette area. Note the filler strips when they cut their new covering too short and hid it with crappy trim. Their new flooring didn't quite reach the wall under the couch.

(4) New flooring in couch area

(5) Couch back in place, new trim was used all around. The trim (1/4 round) I made with a router

Cheers
Willis

(5) More new flooring. I didn't take the steel frame of the rear dinette seat out as it would have been wasted work

Attachments

• Kitchen Before.JPG
    Kitchen Before.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Kitchen After.JPG
    Kitchen After.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 49
  • Dinette Mess.JPG
    Dinette Mess.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 44
  • New flooring couch.JPG
    New flooring couch.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 39
  • More new flooring.JPG
    More new flooring.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Couch Back in place.JPG
    Couch Back in place.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
Thank's Ron, I forgot to mention I used screws for attaching all of the new trim. I figured that was the best way in case I had remove it for some reason. As it turned out, that was a wise move because of some dry rot in the kitchen that I'm dealing with now. The beauty of the screws is everything will go back and fit into its exact location.

Cheers
Willis

Tomorrow, the dinette  ;D

Well the dinette was a challenge in that when the old panel was removed the frame became quite floppy. It was held together with those staple like wires. The first thing to do was to make a strong frame work for the new Oak veneer paneling.  This changed the dimensions a bit. I did this work before the new floor covering went down so the deficiency's could be corrected. Other than the rear dinette seat frame the area was stripped.

1 -  Clamping, gluing and fitting the panels to the orig frame work (to make it all fit)
2 -  Much of the same another view
3 -  Again , more of the same I couldn't delete  :-[
4 -  The finished Dinette. Note, the table was shortened, because it interfered with closing the Day/Night blind all the way. Also having it sort of even with seats made it a bit difficult for DW to sit or rise from that seat. I cut about 8 inches off one end and the pedestals are now centered on the table top and between the benches.  I also corrected the fit of the posts into the sockets to obtain a stable platform to have our meals on.
5 - Opposite dinette Bench
6 - I moved the Co Pilot's seat back 2 1/2 inches. I had to cut and reform the seat pedestal to fit over the lip between the house and cab. This mod was necessary because of DW's  limited mobility.
7 -  This shot shows the clearance obtained by relocating the seat. Before the seat base just about touched the console and there just wasn enough room for DW to leave the seat
8 - The Courtesy console extended down to the floor. I cut that portion out as it served absolutely no purpose in a MH except to cut down on foot room.
9 - Well the old adage of a woman is never satisfied, I had to cover the new flooring with carpet  ::)
Neither the dog or myself is to make a mess on it  ??? anyway I got to choose the carpet it cleans real easy.  ;D
10 - the joining
11 - Between the benches

Next will be the cupboards

Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• Dinette-1.JPG
    Dinette-1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Dinette-2.JPG
    Dinette-2.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 26